PDA

View Full Version : Stock sound system

Chaos
20-01-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi guys

So I recently bought an MY06 Euro Lux. And while I am very impressed with the stock system (compared to other stock systems) it is still not all that great... so it is time to upgrade.

I have had a search through the forum and I haven't been able to find the answers I am looking for so here goes:

I attempted to remove the front door speaker covers by gently prising out with a screw driver. But it didn't seem to come out easily so I stopped in fear of damaging things.

How do you remove the front woofers and tweeters? and where are the stock crossovers located?

Cheers

Simon

xxb4xx
21-01-2010, 11:16 AM
dude, from the looks of things, i'd say the actual door skin has to come off to get to the speaker itself..

but the tweeters on the dash, the little cover should pry off??

Chaos
21-01-2010, 12:09 PM
Cool, well i'll have a look at how easy it is to remove the door cover. As for the tweeters, I haven't tried to remove them, but I will have a go at that as well.

Cheers mate

Kodak
21-01-2010, 01:15 PM
Go to "www.creatox.ru/Accord/hondaesm.html" using internet explorer (does not work with firefox).

Full instructions can be found under body-Audio/entertainment-speakers

Chaos
21-01-2010, 03:59 PM
that's awesome dude, thanks heaps. I will get to that and see how it goes.

Cheers.

Chaos
21-01-2010, 07:06 PM
Now for another question - does anyone know the mounting depth of the front woofers?

euro_tr4sh
22-01-2010, 08:28 PM
audio section champ, you need to take the whole door off to get the woofer out, and there is no crossover, the woofers play full range and the tweeters have a cap on them, as for mounting depth, you wont get anything decent in the doors without cutting some metal out and using a 16-18mm spacer, and before you say :i dont want to cut any metal".... you HAVE to as the hole isnt round

Chaos
22-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Yeah well I probably should have put this thread in the audio section, i had a quick glance at the list of subforums but I missed ICE/interiors as i was looking for 'audio'. Oh well champ.

Yeah I took off the door trim already. The handle covers and such fit really well. nice build quality honda. anyway, I couldn't manage to get the speaker out - I levered the spacer for a bit but I couldn't get that top clip to come out. maybe i just had to try harder but I am afraid of breaking things. But it got dark outside so I stopped anyway.

And by 'decent', do you have any measurements to talk about? or just a word that might refer to some speakers somewhere? If you defined decent I reckon I could go about this problem a bit better. There is already a spacer installed, and if i could get it out I would see how it is mounted and determine re-usability. And the caps are inline with, not on, the tweeters.

Really what I'm looking for are either photos with dimensions of the door with the speaker removed, or a measurement of how deep a speaker can be mounted into the door, or both. The speakers that I am looking at are the Oz Audio 180CS, which are 75.6mm deep. So that's the number to beat.

Cheers, and thanks for the help so far. :D

tony1234
23-01-2010, 07:42 AM
Yeah well I probably should have put this thread in the audio section, i had a quick glance at the list of subforums but I missed ICE/interiors as i was looking for 'audio'. Oh well champ.

Yeah I took off the door trim already. The handle covers and such fit really well. nice build quality honda. anyway, I couldn't manage to get the speaker out - I levered the spacer for a bit but I couldn't get that top clip to come out. maybe i just had to try harder but I am afraid of breaking things. But it got dark outside so I stopped anyway.

And by 'decent', do you have any measurements to talk about? or just a word that might refer to some speakers somewhere? If you defined decent I reckon I could go about this problem a bit better. There is already a spacer installed, and if i could get it out I would see how it is mounted and determine re-usability. And the caps are inline with, not on, the tweeters.

Really what I'm looking for are either photos with dimensions of the door with the speaker removed, or a measurement of how deep a speaker can be mounted into the door, or both. The speakers that I am looking at are the Oz Audio 180CS, which are 75.6mm deep. So that's the number to beat.

Some 20mm spacers available from any decent car audio shop should solve your problem.

euro_tr4sh
23-01-2010, 05:44 PM

i had to cut and use an 18mm spacer to fit my supremo and image dynamics woofers, but it depends what you class as decent i guess, the spacer your reffering to on the mids is part of the woofer its self, it cant be re used, you will need to make (or buy a pre fab) 16-18mm spacer to fit the oz's, just be careful how low you mount the spacer as the door trim might hit it, and the clip at the top of the speaker is quite a bitch, they'll more than likely break before they come out in one piece

And the caps are inline with, not on, the tweeters
thanks for that, and they are actually "on" the tweeter, but you obviously knew that from the way you asked where the stock crossover was

Chaos
23-01-2010, 08:18 PM
thanks for that, and they are actually "on" the tweeter, but you obviously knew that from the way you asked where the stock crossover was

yeah online is a technical term. I'm an engineer, what can I say. The actual cap is attached to the tweeter so guess either is right.

Anyway I got the speakers out as soon as I tried this morning and then did my measurements. I'm satisfied that the oz speakers will fit. They should g pretty well according to the reviews!

The next challenge is connecting them to an amp - I have an alpine amp that will do the trick, but I've never done an install on a car that I'm so afraid of damaging! So the challenging of finding somewhere to put the xovers and wire the speakers... That will be a fun job.

Anyway I have the info I need for now, so look out for more (in the right section this time) about my install. Thanks guys.

euro_tr4sh
23-01-2010, 10:01 PM
yeah online is a technical term. I'm an engineer, what can I say. The actual cap is attached to the tweeter so guess either is right.

Anyway I got the speakers out as soon as I tried this morning and then did my measurements. I'm satisfied that the oz speakers will fit. They should g pretty well according to the reviews!

The next challenge is connecting them to an amp - I have an alpine amp that will do the trick, but I've never done an install on a car that I'm so afraid of damaging! So the challenging of finding somewhere to put the xovers and wire the speakers... That will be a fun job.

Anyway I have the info I need for now, so look out for more (in the right section this time) about my install. Thanks guys.

ah an engineer... picky bastards haha, i've never fit crossovers in mine, always run active in this car so i couldnt reccomend a "quiet" place to put them, running cables in the doors is an absolute pain, they use a block plug in the door jamb, theres spare pin slots that you can drill out either side to pass a cable through which is what i've done but just be very careful you dont nick a wire as its a tight spot and not fun to try soldering in, power cable is also not very fun, gotta go through the guard/wheel arch and in behind the kick panel, if you need any more help let me know as i own a euro and am a car audio fitter

ps- you measured the depth with the window DOWN yes?

Chaos
24-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Yeah measured with the window down! haha that would be silly. and probably much more difficult to remove the trim. anyway there is about 80mm from the inner skin to the outer skin, but approximately 1/3 is obfuscated by the window, effectively reducing the maximum in-door mounting depth to 47mm. You'd want to leave a few mm for breathing room so maybe 43mm is a good number to use. hopefully this saves some other people from having to disassemble their own doors!

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2475/dsc01900y.jpg

On the reverse of the door trim, the piece of plastic that surrounds the speaker could probably be reduced easily enough to accommodate a larger speaker. there's about 20mm clearance there to be had.

http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/2443/dsc01886ht.jpg

So anyway we'll see what happens. yeah the last car i did for a mate, getting the power cable into the cabin was the hardest part! and that was a 1991 celica... i'm guessing the newer the car is, the harder it gets...

the method you used for the power cable - does that involve making any custom holes? and also which gauge cable did you use?

As for running active, if I'd thought about it a bit more i probably would have gotten a different amp. oh well, what i have will do a job, and I'm not out to win any comps so passive will be fine for me.

But cheers for the help so far.

PS the damn iphone corrected "inline" to "online"... but I'm sure you know what i meant! :P

euro_tr4sh
24-01-2010, 05:58 PM
i cut the door trim right down, my id mids are about 110-115mm deep so they took some getting in there, i used 4awg... i was running 4 amps but i had a bettery in the boot aswell so the 4awg was basically just a charge cable for the rear battery, i reccommend minimum 4 as its good to have if you upgrade to bigger/more amps in the future, didnt have to make any new holes, i ran it through the passanger side wheel arch (jack it up, wheel off, pull inner lining out etc...) and then in through the passanger side kick panel, bit of muckin around but for 4awg and up its still the easiest way i can find of doing it, and youd be surprised how many people we get coming into the store wondering why their windows wont go all the way down and their speakers cut out haha

Chaos
24-01-2010, 07:30 PM
sheeeet that's deep. what am I worrying about 76mm for! Hopefully I can get away without cutting the door trim though. we will see when I get the speakers.

Well I still have to grab some more gear before I start thinking about installation. but you've definitely given me some ideas.

I was thinking kick panels to house crossovers - but the drivers side kick panel seems to be too small, what with the bonnet release catch. where do people usually store the crossovers?