PDA

View Full Version : My windscreen cracked by itself..... HELP

WA-EG
21-01-2010, 12:33 AM
Well as the title suggests, my windscreen has managed to crack it self......

I haven't driven the car for about a week now, and was fine aside from a small little rock chip. Went to start her today and noticed a massive crack across the length of the windscreen. No signs of foul play as car is out of sight round back of my place.

Could it be possible that the heat (four or five 40 degree + days) has caused the screen to crack??

I guess the next question is... What is a good price for a new windscreen?? Never actually had to replace one so no idea what this is about to do to the wallet???

Cheers

MrJohn
21-01-2010, 12:52 AM
around 150 - 250 i say for new windscreen usually a small chip could lead to a bigger crack but ur car was just parking there? LOL my mate had a small chip and we drove one day when into a small dip and CRACK!!! mother f@#@ka rip like crazi hahah but yeah chances i dunno but i no could cost ya 150 to 250 depends where u go?

grifty
21-01-2010, 12:59 AM
yeah it really depends on where you go, i would just rig around and see who is the cheapest.

shadou
21-01-2010, 05:13 AM
don't you have that O'Brian's ad in Perth?

bennjamin
21-01-2010, 06:25 AM
If the inside (cabin) differs wildly From the outside temp. this can cause fractures to appear from even tiny chips or cracks.

EK1.6LCIV
21-01-2010, 07:27 AM
sounds of foul play or maybe a bat or bird has dropped something on it (mango or fruit, do you have fruit trees around)

max it could cost is $300, don't use your insurance whatever you do, you'll end up paying for it in increased premiums for yrs...

WA-EG
21-01-2010, 01:02 PM
sounds of foul play or maybe a bat or bird has dropped something on it (mango or fruit, do you have fruit trees around)

max it could cost is $300, don't use your insurance whatever you do, you'll end up paying for it in increased premiums for yrs...

bird maybe but highly unlikely. car spot is pretty out the way.

yeah wont bother with insurance excess will be more than cost of windscreen anyway if new screen will be around $300 mark.

markismaximus
22-01-2010, 01:25 PM
Once a windscreen has a large enough chip or crack in it the damage will spread due to residual stresses left in the glass from manufacture. If you think about the process the glass is flat, heated and moulded over a tool to shape it. If the "internal stresses" in the glass are large enough as soon as it cools off the tool it will just crack by itself.

Mate if only you were in QLD and this happened a few months back. I chucked out an EG windscreen when I got rid of the shell that I stripped. Was perfect and you coulda had it for $20

NA-tuned
22-01-2010, 01:46 PM

Windscreen claims should not affect ur rating/premium and if u do have the nil xs windscreen option on ur policy, it's free otherwise: Instant windscreens are usaully cheap.

VT3C
22-01-2010, 02:36 PM
cheapest is not best when it comes to windscreen replacement.. u dont want the ghetto dude to rip out your old one and shred al lthe old rubbers and goop with a blade.. then a small nick in the paint can lead to some pretty catastrophic rust. I'd be more concerned about having a rust issue than saving $100 on a windscreen job..

jon22
22-01-2010, 02:53 PM
its only 150-250 max man, not worth going through insurance.

WA-EG
22-01-2010, 05:55 PM
got number of quotes. ranging from $260 to $455. the low one is a good company so gunna go with that.

Interesting though, got the 455 price and was asked if i wanted to book it in. i said i was just ringing around, and straight away she says 'oh hang on, your actually eligible for a 20% discount so that comes to $370.' dodgy.