PDA

View Full Version : clunk noise after turning roundabouts

migoreng
22-01-2010, 10:45 AM
this started happening twice yesterday and once this morning. i did go through a lot of roundabouts but it doesn't always occur.

it happens when exiting a roundabout..ie planning on turning right at a roundabout. enter roundabout, turn wheel 360+ degrees to start turning. no noises are heard...once i let go of the steering wheel to exit and the wheels are almost stragiht the clunk occcurs.

it think it only happens when the chassis gets a lot of flex/sway
didn't manage to cause the clunks when turning 90 degree corners normally.

i'm not sure if it's because of the heat from yesterday which could have dried up bushes or something.
the car still drives fine i don't think it's cv joints. from looking under the car the cv boots look ok and nothing is leaking and i don't hear any clicks...

i haven't tried turning full lock and driving in circles yet.

Sleepy.
22-01-2010, 10:55 AM
check all wheel nuts are tightened ,
Power steering boot all fine ?

migoreng
22-01-2010, 11:55 AM
wheel nuts should be tight...i don't see how they could become loose but i guess i can check later

no idea about the power steering boot.i can't see much just by looking under the car and i don't have ramps lol..
well i'll try to visit my mech tomorrow...

im.Kusuma
22-01-2010, 01:00 PM
cv joints.. You might need to get that replaced if evertime you turn it makes noises..

migoreng
22-01-2010, 02:39 PM
so what's the best way to test my cv joints and what do i listen for?
i may drive into an empty carpark later and do a few things.

i haven't tested the car much to see when it happens. so far to make it clunk i have to sway/fient (steer slightly left then right turn at a roundabout if you know what i mean) the car into a roundabout then it will clunk once i straighten the wheels. but like i said i went through many roundabouts today and it didn't always happen so it's random.

around normal 90 degree corners i haven't heard any noises.

im.Kusuma
22-01-2010, 02:42 PM
if ur cv joints fkd over real bad, u can feel ur steering is clonking as well.. turn the wheel onto one side and see if ur cv joints have any leaks or wahtever.
Check it out to a mechanic you can trust

migoreng
22-01-2010, 02:49 PM
well my car still drives normal.
so what tests should i do?

i got a basic service done less than 2000km ago and told my mech to do a general inspection. he didn't mention anything wrong.

im.Kusuma
22-01-2010, 02:51 PM
well my car still drives normal.
so what tests should i do?

i got a basic service done less than 2000km ago and told my mech to do a general inspection. he didn't mention anything wrong.
service is usually basics stuff ; oil, spark plugs, brakes check, tyres and bla bla bla
cv joints arent those things where you gotta replace every month, its one those things where it dies out after a certain amount of time and needs to get replaced. I dont know what tests should be done as im not a pro my self, lol. But from my experience, if i do get clunking noise when i turn, i assume its cv joints and i get it checked straight away...

Limbo
22-01-2010, 02:59 PM
CV joints - do full lock and go about 10-15km, you will hear a continual clunking. Check both sides.

Other thing to do is check anything loose in the boot.

And check engine mounts are not broken cos they can sound like CVs also

migoreng
22-01-2010, 03:13 PM
cv joints arent those things where you gotta replace every month, its one those things where it dies out after a certain amount of time and needs to get replaced. I dont know what tests should be done as im not a pro my self, lol. But from my experience, if i do get clunking noise when i turn, i assume its cv joints and i get it checked straight away...

lol i know that...i got my car with 170k 2 years ago. it now has 210k and has been running great since then.

CV joints - do full lock and go about 10-15km, you will hear a continual clunking. Check both sides.

Other thing to do is check anything loose in the boot.

And check engine mounts are not broken cos they can sound like CVs also

thanks will try that. i suspect my engine mounts may be wearing out as i get slight vibrations in the steering wheel sometimes at idle