PDA

View Full Version : Installation DC5R Oil Temp & Pressure

WATAJK
22-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Went to see my Auto Sparky today about getting these installed on the A Pillar the follow week i get my DC5R back now im wondering has anyone had these installed?? Was it a major hassle to get them done??

My sparky has told me with my car theres little room (which there is) and it could be a problem and a mechanic may need to finish the installation of putting a sump in or something like that...

Anyone installed had these 2 electronic gauges without a problem?
If there was a problem, please explain it.
Thanks

r3ckless
22-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Usualy place i seen them mounted is above the a/c knobs.

WATAJK
22-01-2010, 04:56 PM
Usualy place i seen them mounted is above the a/c knobs.

Don't want em there...
A-Pillar there going on like the S15.
I've seen em on my mates DC2R and they look good as.

markis
23-01-2010, 12:30 AM
in qld i got defected for having A pillar gauges. its a danger to the driver incase of an accident.

have you got an oil cooler?

WATAJK
23-01-2010, 12:55 AM
not 2 my knowledge.. Mine will be setup so they can't be defected so yeah,

markis
23-01-2010, 04:17 PM
ok thats good.
well if u got track ambitions get an oil cooler. then if u get an oil cooler u get a sandwhich plate. if u get a sandwhich plate u can put sensors in... get the picture.?

WATAJK
23-01-2010, 07:04 PM
Yeah got ya.
Im plannin to track the car.. an oil cooler necessary for track or not?

geeang
23-01-2010, 09:38 PM
not 2 my knowledge.. Mine will be setup so they can't be defected so yeah,

A-pillar guages are illegal fullstop so I don't see how you can "setup so they can't be defected" but good luck with that :thumbsup:

WATAJK
24-01-2010, 01:17 AM
A-pillar guages are illegal fullstop so I don't see how you can "setup so they can't be defected" but good luck with that :thumbsup:

ahh ok, oh well still going put em there :) Don't wanna put em on the centre console..

xtan
24-01-2010, 08:05 AM
Yeah got ya.

Type R pressures get extremely high, would recommend if you want to go hard without worrying so much. I'm doing same setup, just get a sandwich plate and your set.

edit: Also seen the gauges on a DC5 mounted on dash with cup holders, doesn't look bad

chargeR
24-01-2010, 08:18 AM
Type R pressures get extremely high, would recommend if you want to go hard without worrying so much. I'm doing same setup, just get a sandwich plate and your set.

edit: Also seen the gauges on a DC5 mounted on dash with cup holders, doesn't look bad

You mean temperatures get extremely high? I have heard oil temperatures around 120-130 degrees C measured at the sandwich plate mentioned by friends with gauges, which some people would call excessive. Pressure will decrease as the oil gets hotter and decreases in viscosity.

Yeah got ya.

I wouldn't say that an oil cooler is essential for light track use. Of the guys I know only one or two run oil coolers and we have many hours of track time in DC5s between us. I personally have around 2000 track kms on my car with no oil cooler and 130,000 total and I have had no issues whatsoever even in the heat of summer. Rather than spend the money on the cooler you should use the best synthetic oil of the correct viscosity that you can afford, change it very regularly and monitor your oil levels very closely when you are at the track.

I use Red Line 10W-40 and 10W-30 oils and I have used Motul 300V in the past also.

WATAJK
24-01-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks for your input ChargeR, really useful information! :)

xtan
24-01-2010, 03:26 PM
You mean temperatures get extremely high? I have heard oil temperatures around 120-130 degrees C measured at the sandwich plate mentioned by friends with gauges, which some people would call excessive. Pressure will decrease as the oil gets hotter and decreases in viscosity.

I wouldn't say that an oil cooler is essential for light track use. Of the guys I know only one or two run oil coolers and we have many hours of track time in DC5s between us. I personally have around 2000 track kms on my car with no oil cooler and 130,000 total and I have had no issues whatsoever even in the heat of summer. Rather than spend the money on the cooler you should use the best synthetic oil of the correct viscosity that you can afford, change it very regularly and monitor your oil levels very closely when you are at the track.

I use Red Line 10W-40 and 10W-30 oils and I have used Motul 300V in the past also.

Knew what i meant thats all that matters, its helpful if you want regular track use.
Also your car already has a factory oil cooler/heater, how could you have no oil cooler?

Use your gauges first and see how that goes for now.

chargeR
24-01-2010, 05:41 PM
Knew what i meant thats all that matters, its helpful if you want regular track use.
Also your car already has a factory oil cooler/heater, how could you have no oil cooler?

Use your gauges first and see how that goes for now.

You mention that I was being pedantic about your post not making sense and yet you pick up on a small detail in mine? Come on guy. You are of course correct that K20A2s are fitted with a factory water to oil cooler/heater :thumbsup:. And it works well enough on track for me.

Is an oil cooler helpful if all it does it add additional complexity and reduce oil pressure and flow?

I agree that the fellow should use the guages first to see what temperatures are like :thumbsup:, but if he purchases a sandwich plate for the sensors then later chooses to fit an oil cooler he is going to have to either change sandwich plate or double stack 2 sandwich plates.

rossirider
24-01-2010, 06:01 PM

He doesn't need an external oil cooler for tracking. I'm of the same mindset as chargeR. I've had plenty of trackdays with no oil cooler and no issues as of yet.

If he just wants the gauges without an ex oil cooler, he doesn't need a sandwich plate.
You can just pull the stock oil pressure sender off the block and plug his aftermarket sender in if its a 1/8th BSPT thread.

With the oil temp, he can tap the oil pan. It's probably a safer/more accurate temp record than from the sandwich plate.