PDA

View Full Version : car stalled and didnt start again

pancake
23-01-2010, 06:22 PM
ok was driving on the main road...

i was coming to a stop and felt my car chugging a bit, then the slower i got, the more it chugged. stopped and felt like it almost stalled, put it in gear one and tried to take off but then it just stalled on me (the car, not me stalling it)

tried to start it up again, but it only kept on cranking with no fire.

prior this this i had a problem by overfilling my engine oil, was planning to drain it this weekend but this happened, and plus i havent driven it over 50k's. could this be the culprit?

suggestions would be really helpful guys,
thanks!

Limbo
23-01-2010, 07:25 PM
COuld be a few things
but here's what i would check
sparkplugs
engine spark from coil
fuel pump

TheSaint
23-01-2010, 07:28 PM
prior this this i had a problem by overfilling my engine oil, was planning to drain it this weekend but this happened

so you overfilled the oil and than decided to drive it regardless? is this correct? or did you fix the problem straight away?

flipfire
23-01-2010, 07:29 PM
how much did you overfill it by?

pancake
23-01-2010, 07:45 PM
so you overfilled the oil and than decided to drive it regardless? is this correct? or did you fix the problem straight away?

yeah i drove it regardless i know its stupid i should have done it right away, but i wasnt planning to drive it long distances so i thought it would have been ok :( stupid me i know i know

it overfilled by about 2cm

TheSaint
23-01-2010, 08:12 PM
it doesnt matter about the distances ... u shouldnt have started it at all lol

thats probably your problem ... engine oil pressure - have you since drained some oil and tried to start it again?

pancake
23-01-2010, 08:36 PM
yeah i know... haha,
lesson learnt i guess! will not neglect such problems again thats for sure haha

got to tow it back home and drain some engine oil out, will update once i do!

thanks!

~Sp33~
23-01-2010, 08:43 PM
A (girl) friend of mine tried to 'change' her oil the other day in her Astra, she filled the oil until it started coming out of the oil filler cap (on the valve cover) and got about 20kms before it died.

She was so proud too!

grifty
23-01-2010, 09:04 PM
A (girl) friend of mine tried to 'change' her oil the other day in her Astra, she filled the oil until it started coming out of the oil filler cap (on the valve cover) and got about 20kms before it died.

She was so proud too!

how much bottles of oil did she go throught? any damage to the engine? Thats what i call a major fail :thumbsup:

~Sp33~
23-01-2010, 09:06 PM
It blew oil out everywhere, lol. She just had a new engine put in.

beeza
23-01-2010, 09:20 PM
DAYUM!

THAT is Classic :)

She will never hear the end of THAT one!

LOL

~Sp33~
23-01-2010, 09:28 PM
The way she was telling me was like "Anyone could've made that mistake".

I had my :eek: face on.

grifty
23-01-2010, 09:32 PM
lmao, did you inform her that there is something called a dipstick?

~Sp33~
23-01-2010, 09:33 PM
She lost interest in the conversation before i could move on from my :eek: face.

beeza
23-01-2010, 09:37 PM
She lost interest in the conversation before i could move on from my :eek: face.

Ahahahaha Awesome :wave:

That conversation taught her to never say that again!

TheSaint
23-01-2010, 09:38 PM
it says in the car's book EXACTLY how much oil to put in it for an oil change lol

grifty
23-01-2010, 09:40 PM
im suprised it even drove for 20kms!

flipfire
23-01-2010, 09:44 PM
Drain some oil and check the plugs

beeza
23-01-2010, 10:31 PM
Yeah,so the engine died?

What happened excatly to the engine do ya know?

LOLZZZZZ

~Sp33~
23-01-2010, 10:34 PM
I don't know exactly, she said everything was really smokey.

I reckon the pressure would've sent enough oil past the piston rings to stop the fuel from igniting.

beeza
23-01-2010, 10:39 PM
20km's is a good effort! :)

dougie_504
24-01-2010, 10:27 AM
My cousin did exactly the same thing - she didn't want to ask her brother to help so she just put an entire bottle of oil into her engine (5L for a nice top-up lol).

F'd the engine, got a new car.

Also my friend (conveniently blonde) topped up her oil, using the dipstick very professionally to ensure she didn't go over the full mark, but then didn't put the cap back on and managed to drive something like 50km before realising the burning oil smell was coming from HER car :D

sir_egg
24-01-2010, 12:48 PM
Also my friend (conveniently blonde) topped up her oil, using the dipstick very professionally to ensure she didn't go over the full mark, but then didn't put the cap back on and managed to drive something like 50km before realising the burning oil smell was coming from HER car :D[/QUOTE]

rofL klassik

pancake
24-01-2010, 02:04 PM
hahaha damn!!
all these stories are making me fell like less of an idiot.. haha!

well got the car back home this arvo, will need to borrow a few tools before i can start draining the oil. will update after that!

grifty
24-01-2010, 04:29 PM
60k oil change anyone?

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1281659

http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/1261/dsc00860rvk.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/86/dsc00862twg.jpg

pancake
24-01-2010, 06:34 PM
jesus christ, haha.

ok back on topic now.
cars back home, did all the things i previously mentioned but still not firing,
tried to jump start it as well, but car just kept on cranking and never started.
check the spark plugs and they were fine

had a mechanic look at it and he suggested it might be the distributor?
it would fit, given that i was on the road driving and my car just stalled and died.

your thoughts guys? if it is the dizzy, should i go for a new one or a second hand... bit of a tight budget :(

Nepolian
24-01-2010, 07:36 PM
Spark or fuel!

Igniter/coil or fuel pump....have them checked out :)

pancake
24-01-2010, 08:37 PM
i dont think its my fuel pump because my car just died whilst i was driving, and the car doesnt even crank sometimes (except the time i attempted to jump start it).

how would i go abouts in checking the ignitor coil?
isnt that connected to the distributor?

~Sp33~
25-01-2010, 02:43 PM
If your distributor is shit, then your car would still crank. If you remove the spark plug, re attach the cable, and get someone to crank the car. Do you see a spark? Yes? Then good. No? Then bad.

Prime your car a few times without cranking. Remove another plug, is it wet with petrol? Good. Is it dry? Then bad.

If both things are good, then that's bad. (lol) But really, if both things are good, then your problem could be more serious. Is there any oil in the combustion chamber? It's possible that the excess crank case pressure may have destroyed some piston rings.

Limbo
25-01-2010, 02:53 PM
if the oil is slightly overfilled it won't cause that much issue, just will feel sluggish.

I'd say its more likely the Dizzy. You can get one from the states new for about $200.
Otherwise a secondhand one is almost the same price. Honda sell them for $800+

Easiest way to test is to see if you can borrow one from a car for abit to test if that is the issue. Had a friend on here do that for me.

With fuel pump, get someone to turn the key. You should feel the pressure on the fuel hose when the key is turned. If there is no pressure then most likley the pump died.
They do dies suddenly like what your saying. Last time mine died when i was turning right. I had to push the car backwards to get out of traffic!

If its a fuel pump i'm got a second hand one you can have for $50

~Sp33~
25-01-2010, 02:54 PM
if the oil is slightly overfilled it won't cause that much issue, just will feel sluggish.

I'd say its more likely the Dizzy. You can get one from the states new for about $200.
Otherwise a secondhand one is almost the same price. Honda sell them for $800+

Easiest way to test is to see if you can borrow one from a car for abit to test if that is the issue. Had a friend on here do that for me.

With fuel pump, get someone to turn the key. You should feel the pressure on the fuel hose when the key is turned. If there is no pressure then most likley the pump died.
They do dies suddenly like what your saying. Last time mine died when i was turning right. I had to push the car backwards to get out of traffic!

If its a fuel pump i'm got a second hand one you can have for $50

Neither of those are going to prevent the car from cranking though.