PDA

View Full Version : Accord Euro CL9 handling issues

djpro1
23-01-2010, 11:39 PM
My 03 euros done about 90k km and got a pretty big service last month.

Got the back 2 rotors replaced , all fluids bled/flush/replaced, back brake discs changed etc...

BUT, I still seem to have a problem when coming to a stop where it kinda veers one way and even when Im driving I feel the need to hold onto the handle or else its gonna veer one way and crashing into something..
It just feels as though the car doesnt have sufficieint grip of the road sometimes..

It's highly unlikely that its got to do with the wheel balance because the handle doesn't shake at high speeds ...

I'm just wondering if this could be a steering issue or maybe a front wheel rotor problem.. Really annoyed cuz I paid about 740$ for my last service at MIDAS for a logbook service so I might have to go back and see...

What do you guys reckon?

Does anyone else have this problem with their aging euros?

felixd
24-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Need to do a break in procedure for the 2 brakes r still new rite :D. dont trach the crap out of it as yet.

if its still bothering you i would suggest to go back n ask for a second check at the mech. im sure they ll be happy to check it up for u n fix that problems

djpro1
24-01-2010, 10:36 AM
im pretty sure they did a break in procedure. it was very smooth even after they replaced the brakes. ill give them another try to see whats wrong but its really been bugging me !

oongie
24-01-2010, 10:45 PM
I Had that same issue ...
Veering to the left when medium braking at high speeds.
Suggest getting a real good alignment!
That fixed my problem!
I originally thought my coilovers were to blame and when I took it to the aligners they said it was a front rotor/brake pad issue but insisting on getting a realignment sorted that out.

djpro1
25-01-2010, 12:04 AM
hmm I'll take it to bob jane and see what they say this week..
it veers a LOT to the left for me especially when i brake and its a downhill.. hope the alignment fixes it though.. too much money has been spent on fixing it recently!

oongie
25-01-2010, 12:14 AM
go relatively early in the day so you get their full attention.
I would suggest somewhere like heasmans if you're in sydney.
It may be dearer but your time is dear if you continue to have to go back and forth.

aaronng
25-01-2010, 07:22 AM
hmm I'll take it to bob jane and see what they say this week..
it veers a LOT to the left for me especially when i brake and its a downhill.. hope the alignment fixes it though.. too much money has been spent on fixing it recently!

Remember to ask them for a before and after printout of the alignment. Post it up here when you get it.

tony1234
25-01-2010, 07:33 AM
go relatively early in the day so you get their full attention.
I would suggest somewhere like heasmans if you're in sydney.
It may be dearer but your time is dear if you continue to have to go back and forth.
I agree.Some Bob Jane stores aren't the best.

djpro1
25-01-2010, 09:48 AM
Funny story.. I called up MIDAS again and theyre telling me its the wheel alignment issue and Bob Jane are telling me its definitely a front rotor issue. Also called up heasmans and theyre telling me it seems like a wheel alignment issue.

I think I should just go in for a wheel alignment and see what happens.

I'll post up the printout before and after sometime this week.

djpro1
25-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Update:

I took it to Marks & Wallings Tyres at West Ryde and the guys did a quick tyre rotate and it looks as though the previous owner had put some low profile tyres on my 17" rims and hence why when I go over bumps, the steering wheel turns. So they just suggested that I get my front tyres replaced instead of doing an alignment.

After the tyre rotation, the steering feels a LOT better. Don't have to fight it even when I'm accelerating on bent roads. The only problem that exists still when I come to a stop on an angled road, the tyres will still turn a bit but not as bad.

I've finally found the core of the problem..

And its not gonna be cheap to fix!

oongie
25-01-2010, 12:24 PM
IMO alignment will be cheaper than getting new tyres.
And if you havent had an alignment in the last 6 months really should get one.
my 2c

aaronng
25-01-2010, 12:44 PM
After the tyre rotation, the steering feels a LOT better. Don't have to fight it even when I'm accelerating on bent roads. The only problem that exists still when I come to a stop on an angled road, the tyres will still turn a bit but not as bad.

That's normal because of the aggressive suspension settings to give the Euro its nimble handling (for a family car). It will be a similar characteristic to the tramlining that you get when driving over grooves or tram tracks.

djpro1
25-01-2010, 05:07 PM
IMO alignment will be cheaper than getting new tyres.
And if you havent had an alignment in the last 6 months really should get one.
my 2c

the tyre guys told me that the wheel alignment will be a waste of money and that it should be fine for now because the tyres still have a bit of tread on them and if I get new tyres, they have to be realigned anyway. I'll probably get 2 new tyres fitted on them anyway in the next 6 months or so..

That's normal because of the aggressive suspension settings to give the Euro its nimble handling (for a family car). It will be a similar characteristic to the tramlining that you get when driving over grooves or tram tracks.

I've driven my girlfriends accord euro but an 06 model. It handles a LOT better than my car and def feels heavier in the steering wheel. ie. mine feels like a toy.

The main issue for my car is the low profile tyres and the uneven wear that happened in the front. Therefore the mechanic suggested a quick tyre rotation. Move the front to the back and the back ones to the front because the front ones were wearing unevenly. I also went to a local mechanic today and he has an Aurion Sportivo with a similar problem. Its a brand new car pretty much with only 15k km and he had a look at my tyres and went... uhh i get that same problem. he had his tyres aligned but the problem persisted.

I guess I have to live with these wheels for a while.. Looking to upgrade to a Manual Euro by the end of the year though so hopefully these tyres will last me till then!