PDA

View Full Version : Does Oil Filter need to replace every service?

by-life
24-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I have done 35k service this week, and was suggested by dealer to replace oil filter and better to do so every service time. New oil filter costs $20.

My question is how it is important to change to new oil filter? Is it necessary to replace oil filter every service time?

Also, my next 44k service will be major service, I think it would be 55k or 65k, I I am right?

thanks.

felixd
24-01-2010, 07:57 PM
yes i would advise u to have the new one fitted.

oongie
24-01-2010, 10:54 PM
major service every 40K Kms.
and oil filter needs to be changed every oil change.
dont want something glunky crap "filtering" or trying to filter your new nice oil

biee2
25-01-2010, 12:46 AM
its best to have the oil filter changed, i dont lik the sight or thought of new oil mixing with the little engine oil that is left in the oil filter:p

aaronng
25-01-2010, 07:19 AM
Yes, I also change the oil filter every time the oil is changed.

tony1234
25-01-2010, 07:35 AM
As above.Never change the oil and not the filter.

buddah51au
25-01-2010, 08:50 AM
I change Engine oil & replace filter every 5,000km. I would not consider changing oil without replacing the filter.

tony1234
25-01-2010, 08:53 AM
I change Engine oil & replace filter every 5,000km. I would not consider changing oil without replacing the filter.
Is it necessary to change oil every 5k if you use good full synthetic oil?

buddah51au
25-01-2010, 10:17 AM
Is it necessary to change oil every 5k if you use good full synthetic oil?

Tony, I would suggest that if your using mobile 1, or another good quality full synthetic oil, the oil change interval would then be dependent on how quickly you put put kms on the car. In your case I would be suggesting every 6 months or 10,000km, whichever comes first.

xxb4xx
25-01-2010, 11:52 AM
Changing the filter is a MUST when changing oil.. otherwise it makes the new oil kinda pointless as it's not been filtered, and the old oil in the filter will mix with the new (filter holds up to 200ml from memory).

As for oil change.. I wouldn't let it go any longer than 10k in the honda.. due to the fact that it's a high revving N/A 4 cylinder engine, lubrication is a must, especially with the vtak setup.

I keep an eye on the dip-stick.. once it starts to get a little dark I change it.. which is usually around the 7-10k mark anyway.. it's never black, but from owning high performance cars most my life, 5k oil changes are natural to me.

tony1234
25-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Tony, I would suggest that if your using mobile 1, or another good quality full synthetic oil, the oil change interval would then be dependent on how quickly you put put kms on the car. In your case I would be suggesting every 6 months or 10,000km, whichever comes first.
I use Castrol Edge 0W-40.In 6mths i do approx.7-8K.It's supposed to be a true full synthetic not hydrocracked

xxb4xx
26-01-2010, 08:32 AM
If people want to try something different, I'm a big fan of FUCHS oil.. It really lasted up to the challenge for me

Phased
06-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Answer to OP:
Yes, it does. If your aren't using a fully synthetic oil filter and oil. Change at manufacturers recommended intervals.

If people want to try something different, I'm a big fan of FUCHS oil.. It really lasted up to the challenge for me

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing your opinion, just trying to find out your experiences/knowledge.

Why are you a fan and Which FUCHS oil's are you referring to? I used the synthetic blend (GTO 10w30) several years ago just after the first oil change after rebuilding my integra and wasn't pleased. (Oil Consumption, Fairly 'Tappity') I didn't get an oil analysis though to find actual Viscosities etc. Even disregarding the fact that Semi-Synthetics are useless, marketing hype (albeit a very smart marketing strategy) , the concept and the fact that legally they can contain as little as 10% synthetic base stock (which doesn't even have to be a Group IV). "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

I've looked into the FUCHS GT1 5w30, I don't like how they don't provide a MSDS/Spec sheet on their site and the fact it is not API approved (only the c2 is API approved, and afaik isn't available in AUS). Without researching I would guess it would use a Group III base stock. Although last time I checked at Burson's it was priced at $72 for 4 Litres!!! It would want to be a Group IV.

I used to work for FUCHS btw... A lot of it's bottled (not produced/refined) here in Australia and they make some of Holden's OEM Oils.

power_of_dreams
23-02-2010, 03:25 PM
So does that mean you guys are requesting to have your filters changed? I know in the service book, oil filters are not changed every service.

tony1234
23-02-2010, 04:19 PM
So does that mean you guys are requesting to have your filters changed? I know in the service book, oil filters are not changed every service.
My service dept.change the oil filter every 10K regardless but i'm sure that there are some that would do it by the book and not change it every 10K.

beeza
23-02-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, I also change the oil filter every time the oil is changed.

ALWAYS!!

It's important to keep ya engine oil clean if ya want her running the best.

power_of_dreams
23-02-2010, 05:12 PM
My service dept.change the oil filter every 10K regardless but i'm sure that there are some that would do it by the book and not change it every 10K.

hmmm, guess I'll mark my filter before service and see what they do, although having said that they are under no obligation.

xxb4xx
24-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Answer to OP:
Yes, it does. If your aren't using a fully synthetic oil filter and oil. Change at manufacturers recommended intervals.

Keep in mind I'm not criticizing your opinion, just trying to find out your experiences/knowledge.

Why are you a fan and Which FUCHS oil's are you referring to? I used the synthetic blend (GTO 10w30) several years ago just after the first oil change after rebuilding my integra and wasn't pleased. (Oil Consumption, Fairly 'Tappity') I didn't get an oil analysis though to find actual Viscosities etc. Even disregarding the fact that Semi-Synthetics are useless, marketing hype (albeit a very smart marketing strategy) , the concept and the fact that legally they can contain as little as 10% synthetic base stock (which doesn't even have to be a Group IV). "A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link".

I've looked into the FUCHS GT1 5w30, I don't like how they don't provide a MSDS/Spec sheet on their site and the fact it is not API approved (only the c2 is API approved, and afaik isn't available in AUS). Without researching I would guess it would use a Group III base stock. Although last time I checked at Burson's it was priced at $72 for 4 Litres!!! It would want to be a Group IV.

I used to work for FUCHS btw... A lot of it's bottled (not produced/refined) here in Australia and they make some of Holden's OEM Oils.

Hey dude, No issues at all,

To be honest i'm learning all the Honda stuff I can from reading on here, but in regards to oils and so forth, I relate everything from experience.

I used the 5-30 FUCHS synthetic in my Subaru B4 running 22 psi, now that car used to burn anything that went in there, but some stuff lasted longer than others,

FUCHS, lasted and held together a LOT better then Royal purple, which I believe is one very over-rated oil.

I used Castrol edge 5-30 and that was on par with FUCHS but more pricey..

In the honda now, i'm using Nulon's full synthetic 10-40w and reckon it's going well, but would use the FUCHS or Castrol again in the next service as they had a nicer lubrication going on in the morning start where now I can hear the engine a little more than I should (last oil in the Euro was Castrol Edge 10-40), the car is getting on in years and 5-30 for me is just too thin..