PDA

View Full Version : Juss reset ECU now car runs like crap / wont start - PLEASE HELP

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 08:07 PM
hey all, just put a CAI on the car so i decided to reset the ECU

done this before on my Dc2 VTI-R and it worked a treat

so i pulled the ECU and BKP fuses and waited 10min, than replaced the fuses and started the car ... after 10min the car turned itself off

i tried to turn it back on and now its all over the place ... its idling really low and when i press the acceleration pedal it drops revs instead of raising them

i also just installed a Pivot Raizin with earth kit

please help =/

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 08:16 PM
forgot to mention ... the car is a Civic GLi Sedan (EG8 - D15B7) with OEM battery and pretty much everything else OEM as well

it has a an aftermarket alarm system but its nothing special - just a replacement for the original which died

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 09:16 PM
ok so i checked the oil and it needed a bit of a top up

so i tried again after topping up the oil a bit and now the car will occasionally start ... rev up to about 2500rpm than rev back down to a ruff idle and shut off

any attempt to apply throttle makes it dip straight down to a rough idle and usually stalls

i really need help on this =/

Tom eg5
24-01-2010, 09:20 PM
Does your car have an air flow sensor?..

If it does, did you make sure you put it in the new cai you installed?..

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 09:21 PM
no it doesnt

CB7_OWNER
24-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Im guessing its your Pivot grounding kit.. some wire is not earthed properly? did you remove the stock wires? or you only added extra earth wires? where did you wire them to? the intake mani? engine block and/or compressor? dizzy?

Dont think the cai would make a car run like shit like that. unless there is a sensor which was not re-used from the stock intake arm.

is the car throwing any CEL's?

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 09:26 PM
no the intake has been on the car for a short while without a problem at all

it has a check engine light for about 5 seconds with the ignition all the way on

i only added earth wires, one to the alternator, one to the engine block near the intake manifold which bounces into one on one of the dizzy mounting bolts, theres one that also goes to the bulk head and than one that bounces off that to the body on the otherside of the car - pretty much all are in the exact spots on the instruction manual

only 2 things i can think of is the one on the dizzy or to remove the razin completly

TODA AU
24-01-2010, 09:28 PM
i also just installed a Pivot Raizin with earth kit

please help =/

Check the main ECU earth on top of the thermostat housing, it's likley loose or poor. (10mm head)
As it's down low, you may have overlooked it & that would cause the issue described.

CB7_OWNER
24-01-2010, 09:31 PM
If the intake had been on the car and fine, then you installed the earth kit, and its running crap now..

Remove the whole kit.. see if it fixes it.. and if it does, do the earth kit install from scratch again?

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 09:40 PM
yeah im about to remove the raizin and earth mount and try again

checked the earth above the thermostate and it looks fine, good contact and no corosion

every six or so tries to start it - it starts ok and revs to about 1100rpm than back down to a stall

when it stalls i have a check battery light come on and than a check oil light

-------------

disconnected the earth lines from the battery ... no dice
disconnected the pivot module from the battery ... no dice

in process of resetting ECU again without earth lines of pivot module

the earth lines are still connected (except the dizzy one that i disconnected) - but they arent leading anywhere that i can tell would make a difference while not plugged into the battery

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 09:55 PM
the only other thing i did today was remove the heatshield from the exhaust manifold

its wierd because when i first started it - it ran fine and almost exaclty on the 10min mark after letting it idle - it died and started doing this crap =/

TheSaint
24-01-2010, 10:03 PM
ok reset the ECU with everything un-hooked and same thing ....

i think im going to have a nervour breakdown lol
-----------------------------------------------------------------

i also cleaned out the interior fan this morning ... dont know if this has any relevance

does anyone have any ideas ... its getting dark and this is doing my head in =/

TheSaint
25-01-2010, 10:48 PM
finally got my mate whos a mechanic around to do some tests ... turns out to be a faulty fuel guage .. the car ran out of fuel even though it was reading above empty

thanks for everyones input =)

Chriskoss
25-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Lol, glad it got sorted in the end though, what a bitch of a problem, no-1 would of suspected no fuel hey?

TheSaint
26-01-2010, 12:33 AM
yeah i didnt even touch anything to do with the fuel system ... and the car isnt driven enough to notice if the guage doesnt work lol

initially we thought it was a faulty fuel pump or sensor ... but it all worked

we turned on the ignition with the fuel line disconnected from the rail and bam ... no fuel

so i went down and got 10ltrs of vortex 98 and what do u know ... it worked lol

reinstalled pivot kit, DIDNT reset the ecu again lol and let her idle for a while to reset the battery ... must have done something right this time because she is wailing like a banshee now

its no B series with vtec or anything but with a big intake and a stock exhaust shes sounding pretty nice lol