PDA

View Full Version : Stopping Bugs - Radiator Mesh

Sharma
25-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Hey guys,

Did a bit of country driving over the last weekend and discovered a very larger amount of bugs caught in the radiator etc. So I was wondering next time, it is alright if I go to Bunnings and buy a fly mesh/screen and cover the grilles etc.

A quick google didnt yield many results, I saw some people saying that placing a mesh in front will do more harm than good (reduced airflow! = hotter engine)

WATAJK
25-01-2010, 10:20 AM
If you get the very fine mesh with small holes im sure you'd be fine but wait for others to reply..

mocchi
25-01-2010, 12:34 PM
radiator dont really depend on vehicle speed for cooling, they have fans.
i used a wire mesh to stop bugs from my radiator and no overheating at all. stock car.

Zilli
25-01-2010, 04:58 PM
you can either do that, or just hose off your radiator once in a while

kevibumz
26-01-2010, 01:47 AM
high pressure hose ur radiator. lol all good in da hood.

xntrik
26-01-2010, 05:58 AM
as above.
I had a mesh, now no more mesh.

curtis265
27-01-2010, 10:57 AM
I just hose it with a normal hose, or take of bits of engine bay trim and brush the shit out of my radiator... That's probably not a good thing to do though, i might bend those little things..

EK1.6LCIV
27-01-2010, 11:09 AM
shit, I must kill a dozen large bugs daily on my commute, only just got a new rad at it's covered in little insects, mesh might work for some of the larger ones

I had my last rad for over 200,oookms at it was belted out badly from bugs, rocks, road crap, etc

didn't stop it working perfectly tho, hardly worth the time and effort, as you'll have to replace meshing then every month if you use it regularly

grifty
27-01-2010, 12:53 PM
shit, I must kill a dozen large bugs daily on my commute, only just got a new rad at it's covered in little insects, mesh might work for some of the larger ones

I had my last rad for over 200,oookms at it was belted out badly from bugs, rocks, road crap, etc

didn't stop it working perfectly tho, hardly worth the time and effort, as you'll have to replace meshing then every month if you use it regularly

you will be able to just hose it out instead of replacing it

EK4 Phil
29-01-2010, 06:44 AM
Depends on how bad the bugs are, if the are in plague proportions I'd suggest mesh (plastic stuff) to not scratch your paint and use cable ties and tape to hold it in place over youe bumper.
If your going to hose your radiator dont use a high pressure hose, you'll just end up bending all the fins.