PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust - I Must Be Going To The Wrong Places

B|ade
24-11-2003, 04:27 PM
Heres my tale ppl:

Went into Hi-Tech the other day and got quotes $1350 for a hi-flow cat, 2.5" stainless steel mandrel bent exhaust and a stainless muffler (not even from the turbo back).

Trekked out to Liverpool today and got quoted $1450 for 3" mild steel exhaust from the turbo back, including hi-flow cat and stainless steel muffler.

I was talking to other people and people have been paying like $800 from the turbo back for 3" mild steel with a hi-flow cat and muffler.

Wtf am I doing wrong? Can neone recommend anywhere I can go? I wanna do the exhaust right the first time but I dunno if I wanna pay $1300+ when that could be spent on a manual box and all the parts I need anyway!

Cheers guys,

Sam

euro77
24-11-2003, 04:35 PM
Is your accord turbo-ed? If not, don't go for any exhaust greater than 2.5" otherwise you'll lose power *I've been told so* 8)

As for the price, I would say above $1000 for branded exhausts and below $1000 for non-branded one, but I'm picking numbers out of thin air here :D

B|ade
24-11-2003, 04:37 PM
Yea man tis turbo

Thats why I'm going 3"

I was expecting about 700 bucks, not closer to 1.5 grand!

accordpwr
24-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Blade, you should'nt pay more than $1000 for your turbo back exhaust. If you're going to pay $1500 might as well get the branded ones from Japan! Below are just a rough estimate of the prices charged
$200-front pipe
$250-hiflow-cat
$250-muffler
$250-mendrel bend piping
Just have to continue searching for a place that suits your budget.

B|ade
24-11-2003, 05:12 PM
Yea thats wat I thought man

Can u recommend newhere?

accordpwr
25-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Unfortunately, I don't know any exhaust shops in sydney.....Maybe others in this forum can help. You can just try getting a few more quotes first.

joneblaze
25-11-2003, 02:04 AM
Sam im not a 100% here, but i believe Livo will do you a better deal for cash, etc.... basically im sure they'll give u a decent discount on the quoted price. you know how it goes, haggle haggle etc.... $1400+ does sound pretty pricey tho....but i dont know much bout cars in general let alone ones with forced induction.... :roll:

jon

Setanta
25-11-2003, 07:04 AM
That's weird, Livo quoted me 800 cash for a high flow cat, 2 1/4 inch mandrel bent system and muffler inc fitting.

Go hassle them about costs and talk to spunkymunky - her system was done by the livo boys.

Civic Si
25-11-2003, 08:11 PM
I payed $650 for my cat back 2" stainless steel exhaust with muffler and tip from Hi-Tech Darlinghurst. That's cheaper than retail, only because I know one of da installers brother.

I don't even know if that's expensive or not?

:arrow: *Warning* If u decide to to get an exhaust from Hi-Tech, only go to da one in Darlinghurst!

B|ade
25-11-2003, 08:19 PM
Why only the one in Darlinghurst man?

Thats where I got my quote neway I think

Is that the one on Parra rd?

mo
25-11-2003, 08:48 PM
parra rd one is in leichardt.
the one in darlinghurst is like near oxford street i think :?:

B|ade
25-11-2003, 08:53 PM
Alright

Ill check that one out

Will be interesting if they gimme different prices

CHU85
26-11-2003, 04:25 PM
Dude if ur car is lowered, better watch out for ur flex.
I've got a full 3in system from the turbo back and my flex joint is totally ripped up cos from underneath the car u haven't got much room for the 3 inch flex. If u want a cheap flex i can get them cheap from brissie. My single braid one was only 50 bucks.

Civic Si
26-11-2003, 09:08 PM
Why only the one in Darlinghurst man?

Thats where I got my quote neway I think

Is that the one on Parra rd?

Petersham Hi-Tech do dodgy work! :shock:

The guy I know used to work there and now works at Darlinghurst because of how they do crap work! ;)

one more chance
02-12-2003, 05:44 PM
so u want a full exhaust system? i think the reason why it's alittle steep is because they will need to fabricate all the work themselves since there is no off the shelf kits, it will be fully custom. the hardest part will be your dump-pipe, the rest of the kit will be relatively straight-forward, all though $1200+ is very steep.
when you do enquiries, its always a good idea to take the car in yourself and have them have a look with you in person, that way they can take u alittle more serious. and try not to sounds like u know nothing! 8) ;)

Rowie
02-12-2003, 06:06 PM
whoever is quoting you probably took one look at your turbo honda and figured you could afford to pay the quote lol :D

Bobby
16-12-2003, 09:39 AM
i got a full cat back exhaust for my 98 accord which is atmo, but it cost me $538 at a place in Brookvale, Sydney called Sandy Cortis mufflers.
He was the best quote and even though he had to fabricate all the parts it still cost less than a cat back that was bolt on. coz its atmo its obviously gonna only be 2 1/4 inch. but i got quotes from other places even Hi tech mufflers on Bourke street sydney and they quoted me $800! fwar owt!
but just to try and help maybe try these guys they are real nice and take the car up and run you through the whole process, the mufflers are good quality and come in any style. Also i got all the piping in stainless steel for no extra cost. if you do a big job like that i spose it comes inlcusive.
anyway keep shopping and good luck. try "Sandy Cortis" in Broovale.
(but not Cortis in Mona Vale!)