PDA

View Full Version : ICM died in this heat

specialst
25-01-2010, 05:17 PM
yesterday my ICM packed up. If its happening to me i guess many other Honda owners out there will experience it too. Hope this helps others determine their problem.

Initially, i was experiencing weird random engine cuts. My car was shacked up for a good 2 months so i thought it was the fuel. But at times the engine cut out for just a moment but not stall n keep on driving.

The other day, i was driving up the adelaide hills and all of a sudden my engine cut out... it restarted (luckily i thought to myself) but cut out again soon after driving (SH*T).

This time the engine would not start but at least its cranking. My mate and I checked the dizzy for sparks by holding the end of a spark plug cable against the rocker cover; and nothing no spark. This means the dizzy is playing up!! Inside the dizzy are 2 things that can fail: 1)ICM and 2) Ignition Coil.

The fact that the car did start up a few times told me it was the ICM and not the ignition coil. So we parked the car there till night and drove it home easy after everything cooled down.

A car with a failed ignition coil wont ever start up. Conclusion: Dead ICM

We ruled out the following:
Main Relay; if its faulty; ur car will never start!!
Coil packs; either work or dont - mine clearly work since the car does start
Fuel pump; it primes. fuel pressure wasnt being lost for obvious reasons
Fuel pressure regulator; no explanation needed

I have purchased a new ICM from Sprint Auto here in SA. Its ready to be replaced tmr.

For my DIY Article click to: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127058
Rep point me please if it helped you.

For more reading go to:
http://www.team-integra.net/forum/display_topic_threads.asp?ForumID=13&TopicID=237113&PageMsg=Viewing+Common+Topic

See pics of the new ICM below
Brand: Tridon - made in Australia
Type: Ignition Module - Lifetime Warranty - Hondas (NEC/OKI) only lasted 15 years =P
Part Number: TIM032
Application: B18B2 - maybe other B series.
Pic:
http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd303/specialstdpg/Picture1.png

Chriskoss
25-01-2010, 05:49 PM
Nice one, hopefully it fixes your problem

good luck

specialst
27-01-2010, 06:04 PM
thanks man.

Here is the DIY write up. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127058

So far it hasnt stalled yet.. drove 25km in it. wasnt that hot today though. will see how it goes with more driving

beeza
27-01-2010, 06:28 PM
Distibutor king make an ICM that can withstand higher tempretures than the OEM ICM.

specialst
27-01-2010, 09:53 PM
thanks for that info. if i knew i would have opted for it.

I notice a few others on the forum getting the same problem. Hope all the info on the forums helps.

beeza
28-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Yes,I'm sure it will with this weather!

Awesome :)

CIV-18C
28-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Where do you get these in Sydney?
Also, would you have been better off buying a new dizzy?

JasonGilholme
28-01-2010, 02:20 PM
My ICM died. i went with a new dizzy from Distributor King. :thumbsup:

koevi
28-01-2010, 02:46 PM
How much does a ICM cost for a B-Series engine? i think mines playing up, car died on me when it was pouring down rain lol. Ignition coil has already been changed and also the Fuel Relay too.

beeza
28-01-2010, 04:43 PM
$60 second hand.

specialst
28-01-2010, 05:19 PM
Theres a few questions here and ill try my best to answer them.

This is a 2 part question.

ICM's can be purchased from any good parts store (maybe not supercheap auto LOL) Repco is nationwide n should be able to get them in. Give them a try. Honda dont sell ICM's seperately =( As bezza mentioned, Distributor King also makes a replacement.

On a side note there, i found out that its the Heat Conductive Grease that dries up over the years and subsequently causes the ICM to fail and not the quality of the ICM. So use that quality stuff and use it liberally everyone.

IMHO No. Its only that component of the dizzy thats failed while everything else is in perfect working order. Why buy what you dont need, save yourself some money =). Also save yourself the hassle of resetting your engine timing.

How much does a ICM cost for a B-Series engine? i think mines playing up, car died on me when it was pouring down rain lol. Ignition coil has already been changed and also the Fuel Relay too.
As bezza stated, around $60 second hand.
I recommend you buy a new module. I picked mine up for $90 mates rate. Expect to pay between $100-120. Cheaper then a second hand dizzy =) Best of luck with it.