PDA

View Full Version : Looking at 02-04 V6 Lux

mattman
25-01-2010, 10:37 PM
Howdy,
1st post here :) But anyway, eyeing off a replacement to my current vehicle when my loan dwindles a little more (while off yet, but nothing wrong with getting a head start).

The Accord V6 Lux seems to fit the bill with being a not terribly expensive V6 that doesn't have a habit of falling to bits (like my current car) and packs a few goodies. Being not terribly expensive, I can also pick one up that's alot closer to new..

Now, I've read the handling on some of these is a bit soft... but coming from a statesman on 10yo springs I don't think it'll be anything I'm not used to :) But are there any other particular issues to watch for? About the only major thing I've read is some problems with the 5sp auto but I don't know which models/years this affects and how widespread it actually is...

Thanks in advance :)

mattman
27-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Hmmmm so these cars are perfect in every way shape and form? :P

Found more info on the auto box.... basically avoid anything earlier than '02 seems to be the consensus, which i was going to do anyway :P

iLlusion10
27-01-2010, 09:58 PM
Get an accord euro instead =] Really depends what your looking for and what you need.

mattman
27-01-2010, 11:36 PM
think i prefer the size and power of the bigger accord tho :D i know the euro looks and handles better but if i cant fit in it, doesnt help much :p 6'6'' here

Addictions
28-01-2010, 08:53 AM
LOL! well coming from a guy that takes it through twisties (Hill climbs & mountain passes) every week. i don't see any problems with the car except for the largeness of the car. maybe some matching springs and wheels will set the car well in its handling fondness, although i have done nil to nothing in mine except a pair of HIDS and im able to leave a few modified cars behind. i say the car has plenty of torque and its worth getting the V6 variant.

mattman
28-01-2010, 09:10 AM
Hehe well like I said I come from a 10yo statesman on originial suspension (read, it's baaaaaad) so anything has to be an improvement over that :) Don't think i'll get so far as uprated shocks etc but have read improved sway bars etc help (and they are only cheap, too).

But, coming from a V6 I don't think I could go to anything significantly less powerful, especially when it's still a large car... and well then may as well go the lux for the goodies :P

Addictions
03-02-2010, 01:24 PM
only sway bars?

chrome
03-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I have an 04 V6, and yes, the suspension in OEM form is very soft in both damping and spring rate. I upgraded to a 20mm Whiteline rear bar which gave the car a more neutral turn-in into corners. I eventually imported a HFP (Honda Factory Performance) suspension package from Canada during a Honda clearance sale, and that has improved the handling significantly. It lowers the car about an inch, and firms up the spring rates and damping.

I am also running on 17x7.5" wheels from the 08 Accord, with 225/50R17 Michelin MXV8.

In this configuration, I feel the balance between handling and comfort is spot on. Honda should have released the Accord like this from the factory.

mattman
03-02-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm just thinking from a budget perspective, it's only ever going to be a family car not a racecar :)

But yeah I've read of some improvement from sway bar and uprated strut brace.

Not sure I would do the suspension etc unless I could pick it up dirt cheap :)

f1355spider
03-02-2010, 07:24 PM
I am also running on 17x7.5" wheels from the 08 Accord, with 225/50R17 Michelin MXV8.

Would love to see some pics...:)

Addictions
04-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Would love to see some pics...:)

+1!

also, how much did it cost you for the suspension? im looking at getting a set of matching springs with the shocks but not sure what to opt for first? springs or struts or sway.

chrome
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Pic uploaded on the member's gallery section.

Honda Canada was selling the HFP suspension kit for the Accord V6 for CD$420, plus sea freight (3 months to arrive) it came up to just under AU$1K. At that time, the AU$ was much weaker than it is now.

I did the installation myself, so saved a few bucks.

Addictions
04-02-2010, 11:42 AM
that's still a bit too high for my liking... i prefer the lux CU2 rims on the car.... are they the same? i think ill just stick with getting eibach springs...

Dont take this the wrong way though, has anyone considered of getting the little boot spoiler?

chrome
04-02-2010, 12:33 PM
Are you saying the car is high, or the rims are high? This pic was taken before the car was lowered on the HFP kit.

Addictions
04-02-2010, 12:51 PM
no photos afterwards?

chrome
04-02-2010, 01:01 PM
no photos afterwards?

Not any at the moment, but will see what I can do this weekend.

f1355spider
04-02-2010, 07:12 PM
i prefer the lux CU2 rims on the car

I've been trying to find a pic of these wheels fitted to the 04/05 accord for a while now with no luck. Does anyone have one they can share? ;)

BTW, i don't mind the 17's at all! :thumbsup: