PDA

View Full Version : CL9 engine ignition issue?

djpro1
27-01-2010, 02:26 PM
I've got a CL9 Accord Euro 2003 model and whenever I turn on the engine, it doesn't feel like a clean turning on ignition.

I just had an injen cold air intake installed on it and it sounds like the ignition turn on sound is worse?

It still turns on and everything first go but it seems to choke just before turning on.

Anyone else have this problem ?

oongie
27-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Nope didnt have this issue, but have you tried resetting the ecu?
take the fuse out and put it back in.
Search ECU reset, may help

djpro1
27-01-2010, 03:55 PM
The thing is, I turn it on and the engine starts off at 500 rpm? Seems a bit low for a start up to me.. I might take it back to the workshop again tomorrow to see what's wrong?
Oh and the ECU has been already reset from the looks of it because I have to reset the time on the cd player..

snYpz
27-01-2010, 04:11 PM
Have you checked your car battery? This may be a stab in the dark, but that is what happened to me before my battery died on me. It felt the car needed a few more spins to start, and it felt weaker.

aaronng
27-01-2010, 04:17 PM
If it is a warm start, it can happen. Sometimes it even struggles to start at all. I suspect that the cylinder might still have some fuel in it because the hard starting issue goes away if I let the engine idle for 5 seconds before shutting it off.

BTW, check this thread. Has been discussed previously: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22130&highlight=hard+start

djpro1
27-01-2010, 05:18 PM
If it is a warm start, it can happen. Sometimes it even struggles to start at all. I suspect that the cylinder might still have some fuel in it because the hard starting issue goes away if I let the engine idle for 5 seconds before shutting it off.

BTW, check this thread. Has been discussed previously: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22130&highlight=hard+start

Thanks.

I don't think its a battery issue however because it's not that it takes many cranks (usually 3-4), it just feels like it wants to die because its at only 500 rpm on Neutral (Park) .. Before the CAI installation, the sound was more noticeable when I did a warm start and it was just like any other healthy euro (compared with gfs euro). I highly doubt the battery will help higher RPM start ups? Perhaps its a throttle position sensor issue or crack angle sensor?

I noticed this problem upon Cold starts and with this new INJEN CAI, even with warm starts, it has the same problem of wanting to die.. But when I reverse it out of my car park, it picks up RPM and its fine.. So I give it a good acceleration before going ..

grifty
28-01-2010, 01:39 AM
possibly the tps is on its way out?

aaronng
28-01-2010, 07:12 AM
possibly the tps is on its way out?

It's an electronic throttle, so the whole TB actuator is integrated with the TPS (if there is a TPS). I reckon check the TB butterfly valve to see if it is sticking at small openings.

tony1234
28-01-2010, 07:29 AM
It's an electronic throttle, so the whole TB actuator is integrated with the TPS (if there is a TPS). I reckon check the TB butterfly valve to see if it is sticking at small openings.
Try some Subaru upper cylinder cleaner.

djpro1
29-01-2010, 04:13 PM
Took it back to the mechanic and my RPM idles at 600ish when I'm stationary. Seems to jump up and down. He did try and fix the air flow sensor on the injen cai but that made no difference.

When I start the car it goes up to around 1100 rpm then drops slowly to 600 rpm and stays there.

He had no clue about the hard start though because everything was installed properly and no leaks or anything.. Battery terminals were tightened again etc..

Honda Service centres were gonna charge $115/hour to look at it..

Anyone know any good service centres?

From what I hear the CAI might've messed the TB? Some are saying that it takes time for the computer to adjust to the different air intake ratio etc.. after the installation and hence why its rev idling at low rpm?

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=515887

heres a thread to that... ><