PDA

View Full Version : My CD5 VTI

Troy
28-01-2010, 06:38 PM
Okay this thread is kind of like a list of things to do to my car to keep me motivated and have a single point of reference as I'm going. I've meant to start it for a while but haven't got around to it. I'll also upload pics of what I need to change/fix and edit them in when I get to it. If you have any helpful comments about something then feel free to quote it and let me know, I appreciate it. :)

Things that need fixing:

Drivers inside door handle comes out sometimes, need to hold in place to open door.
Front passenger door does not activate internal lights when open.
Boot gas struts feel like dead weights, I think they can be re-gassed?
Drivers chair right-side support needs to be re-padded, someone must have sat on it a lot or taken a lot of hard left corners, or likely just worn from hopping in and out all the time.
Right rear passenger seat has single small hole, must be from cigarette burn. Can something like this easily be patched up?
Scratch marks on front windscreen following wipers line, not sure if repairable or needs replacing but it does annoy me.
Needs a better steering wheel, the current one has scratches all around it and doesn't feel strong at all. Not sure if there's a better one out there that also can take the airbag, or possibly get the whole thing stitched in leather?

Mechanical:

Research into performance air filters and also mild sports exhaust, was quoted $250 for mild sports exhaust from cat back from a custom exhaust shop down the road from where I work
Definitely needs improved suspension. Currently checking out TEIN SS, BC Racing, Megan Racing, coilovers, also researching into front and rear sway bars, also subframe strengthening? Interested in all this.

Aesthetics:

Quote from Smash Repairs company to fix up the last little bit at the front after the crash around $400-$500. Specifically the headlights and front grill don't look 100% in place. And bonnet does not quite shut properly. And also need a Honda badge for the bonnet, dealer quoted me $54 which I thought was a bit steep...
Plenty of small carpark dings down both sides. Not sure if I can really be bothered going this far with the car. If I did, it would likely be a complete strip back to bare metal, straighten, fresh paint etc...
Windows need tinting, driver's window is actually scratched from going up and down. Most likely need to pull the door apart, pull apart and clean the electric window mechanism, check guides etc. Then test and replace window once all good.
Boot spoiler, I actually think it would look better without it, either remove and fill up/smooth/paint or find another white boot and swap? Anyone know of a spoiler delete kit so I can just pop some bungs in instead?
Small ding in silver window surround on rear passenger window.
Black rubber surrounding window frame is coming out and pokes out, always attacks my foam sponge and chamois every time I wash the car (I'm learning to go around it). I eventually spat the dummy at it and pulled it out, ripping the rubber. It needed replacing anyway. Need to find rubber seals kit for it. At least it doesn't poke it now. Not noticeable unless you are really looking for it.
Internal instruments cluster (right-half of tacho) and both air con dials, lights don't come on when parkers or headlights are on so can't see at night properly.
Also the handbrake release button has some silver chrome-looking stuff over it, most has come off and looks pretty average, would like to have it re-done if possible.
Want some decent floor mats and a dash mat. Dash mat especially because the sun really glares off the dash and so does the heat. Mat in our other car seems to soak up both and make it a lot nicer inside when driving.

Things I have done so far:

New radiator, condenser, bonnet etc... after the crash.
Have installed Sony Xplod CD player.
Always filled up with BP Ultimate.
New tyres about 5000km ago, rotate, balance, alignment, and filled with nitrogen.
Plenty of sudsy washes and chamois, including rims and blacken tyres.
Full Stop Brakes @ Burleigh, full brake service. 4 new Bendix pads, all 4 disc rotors machined, new brake fluid. After bedding them in, this thing stops pretty damn hard! :thumbsup: That was a while ago... will need another brake service coming up in the next few months.
Replaced timing belt and seals, changed gearbox oil with genuine Honda stuff, also oil and filter change
Pulled windscreen wipers off, quick sand and paint in black. I'm not too good at this stuff so it's not a great job, but it still looks a lot better - just don't look at it too close! I'll have to re-do it sometime once I get some more paint practice in.

Cheers, any tips or comments are welcome but not expecting this thread to go overboard. Probably not interested in a H22A swap any more, would be nice but budget is always a factor. I might just slowly do a few mods to the mighty F22B1 to help it breathe a bit nicer, I think that will make quite a difference over what it is currently. One thing I really would like to improve is bottom-end pickup, like when I take off in 1st gear up a slight hill, you really gotta give it some stick or it bogs down pretty good until revs get up again. Have driven another stock VTI and it was the same, just to be sure.

Troy

Troy
02-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I've done a bit of editing to reflect the changes that I've done.

Troy
07-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Okay with all this rain we've been having, turns out I'm getting quite a bit of water in the car (I know, I'm looking for a place with a bigger garage).

The driver's footwell is just soaked, in fact there was about an inch of water in there this afternoon when I moved it. I had a quick look and am thoroughly confused. The water is staying in there so it's not draining out anywhere, so no holes underneath - plus this happens when it's not moving. After looking around the area, I cannot see anything else wet at all. No signs of water running down to the area, nothing that looks like it drips into the footwell, nothing. It's like someone's grabbed a bucket of water and tipped it in...

Once the rain stops and I've got it all dried up, any ideas where to look?

RiceMeister
08-02-2010, 12:33 PM
cool story bro.

Troy
08-02-2010, 02:11 PM
Keep it to the lounge man. :thumbdwn:

RiceMeister
11-02-2010, 10:26 AM
picz??

tmy
11-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Cheers, any tips or comments are welcome but not expecting this thread to go overboard. Also if anyone has info about engines or where I can look, I have a 2.2L VTEC and I found online it puts out 107kW, apparently a H22A puts out 149kW and is a drop in swap? Anyone know about this cause it sounds interesting and I have done some research but obviously not enough yet.

Correct it is a straight swap.

Multiple have done the swap and multiple still are doing the swap.:thumbsup:

ekcoupe
11-02-2010, 10:51 AM
hey troy what year is ur car.

cuz heres a simota air filter (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Simota-Air-Filter-intake-kit-Prelude-92-00-Accord-94-96_W0QQitemZ300395808051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_ Parts_Accessories?hash=item45f0fc4533)

good luck:D

Troy
11-02-2010, 03:49 PM
picz??Yeah they are coming eventually, been really busy lately so this hasn't been a priority right now. There are some pics in my intro thread.

Correct it is a straight swap.

Multiple have done the swap and multiple still are doing the swap.:thumbsup:Thanks for that, will have to start saving. :thumbsup:

cuz heres a simota air filter (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Simota-Air-Filter-intake-kit-Prelude-92-00-Accord-94-96_W0QQitemZ300395808051QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAU_Car_ Parts_Accessories?hash=item45f0fc4533)

good luck:DThanks mate, if I win it for the lowest bid possible it comes to $105 delivered, what are these things worth?

ekcoupe
11-02-2010, 04:02 PM
simota air intake is usually worth $150

i got mine for $90 i was bidding.

Troy
11-02-2010, 11:52 PM
Ah man it looks sweet but I really don't have the funds for it right now. I just need to focus on saving and putting away money at the moment, hitting that stage again.

I guess my biggest priority should be to clean up the silver EXi and sell it as that's money owing to me right there. The longer I leave it the less rego too...

Troy
22-02-2010, 11:15 AM
Did a big service yesterday, engine oil and filter, also gearbox oil. Running nicely, but still gotta get around to taking those pics!

Infernal
22-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Hey man I noticed you go to Red Devil Radiators, Oxenford.

So your a gold coast local?

Troy
22-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Yep I always take my cars there, they do a good job and they know me and give me what I believe to be a fair price.

There's quite a few of us around the Gold Coast and also quite a few up Brisbane way, check out some of the cruises if you're interested in meeting up! March 14th, Beeza's cruise is looking nice. :D

Infernal
22-02-2010, 02:45 PM
That might be an option, Sunday sounds good.
Ill check it out :D

Troy
23-02-2010, 10:37 PM
Updated to include a new part about some stains in the paint I had fixed. So frustrating! I also saw a similar Accord cruising on Smith St in Southport this morning, it had been slammed on huge chrome rims, anyone know who it was? Not sure what it would like like standing still but it looked pretty sweet moving at speed.

Infernal
07-03-2010, 09:12 PM
Hey were you at Brisbane Road lights near lakeside golf course?

Troy
08-03-2010, 03:59 PM
I was on Friday I think...

Troy
12-03-2010, 02:41 PM

Oops never actually answered this, mine is 1995 model. Silver one that I want to sell is 1996, need to fix CV boot and then get roadworthy on it.

I've been thinking a lot lately about my plans for this car, I'm really tempted not to bother doing anything more to it (apart from tint windows, have dings removed from doors, other cosmetic stuff). Then when I've saved enough, slam it on coilovers and get h22a setup. What do you guys think? Coilovers first or engine first? I'm thinking coilovers unless there is a specific reason otherwise.

Is there more info on the H22A setup somewhere? Will I need gearbox etc... As well with the swap or do I use my current one? Where can I buy one from? I have been researching this stuff but aren't finding a great deal of info on it out there.

Also if you have (or know of anyone with) coilovers on the CD5 Accord, let me know what brand/price and how happy you are with the setup. I had a puncture repaired last week and Nitrogen PSI adjusted to 40, quick chat with the guys said $2000 should cover coilovers supplied, installed, and all aligned/setup. Didn't ask what brand or anything, been meaning to go back and confirm everything - maybe ask for a written quote so I know what I'm looking at.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Troy
12-03-2010, 05:27 PM
Also what's the go with sports steering wheels? Looking for one that is preferably direct swap, complete with airbag and cruise control buttons?

Is it legal to put in a sports steering wheel without the airbag in a car that has SRS airbag?

The search continues, cheers

Infernal
15-03-2010, 05:27 PM
if your indonesian sorta guy then i spotted you

Troy
15-03-2010, 08:10 PM
Haha not even close.

Infernal
16-03-2010, 08:18 PM
oh gay, brown/asian?

Troy
17-03-2010, 02:40 PM
Still a long way off. When we meet one day, you'll laugh and laugh and laugh when you realise how wrong you were. Aussie reppin!

Troy
09-04-2010, 10:57 AM
http://www.asianautospares.com.au/index.cfm?Do=View.Product&ProductID=124

Or

http://www.asianautospares.com.au/index.cfm?Do=View.Product&ProductID=32

What's the difference between the two - engine vs. half cut?

Wait, I just emailed them so we'll see. Will post up pics shortly.

tmy
09-04-2010, 11:22 AM
you still haven't posted any pics of your car man.

I'd go the half cut, then you know you have everything.

Troy
09-04-2010, 11:52 AM
deleted

ekcoupe
09-04-2010, 12:03 PM
resize!!!.

shit that sucks man hope you can find a new bonnet cheap

Troy
09-04-2010, 01:35 PM
OMG Yeah resize is happening right now, will edit shortly once they are uploaded.

Okay resized now, so my analysis is those side panels at the front with the wheel arch, both of those are perfect, I've had a very careful look at the curves and angles and they all look spot-on like they should be. Even the front bumper actually looks okay, just need to get all the horrible green off and pop it back in above the front left wheel, popping out slightly. Once we get it straightened out a bit more my dad will be able to get in properly and have a good look at what needs replacing.

Description of incident copy/pasted below:

Damn... a few wanting to meet up for the GC pre meet. Looks like it was a good idea after all. Now the race is on to fix my car up in time... yep crashed it. People braking hard and stopping on an entry to the highway just as I am shoulder-checking to merge... for the loss. Oh the tears, my poor Honda. Wish I could afford comprehensive. Such is life. If you wanna help me get it back up and running in time, the biggest thing is finding a bonnet. I have a thread in the WTB section.

namtaro
09-04-2010, 01:51 PM
yeah, i agree with tmy, i would go with the half cut, always the best option and worth the money.

Troy
09-04-2010, 07:56 PM
Unfortunately not in a position to spend that much at the moment... but would be awesome. Hondarec have found replacement parts for me, $650 for everything I need including radiator etc - spitting chips because that's a brand new radiator in there... Apparently the bonnet is a new aftermarket one, so I was thinking spray in black?

ekcoupe
09-04-2010, 08:22 PM
Unfortunately not in a position to spend that much at the moment... but would be awesome. Hondarec have found replacement parts for me, $650 for everything I need including radiator etc - spitting chips because that's a brand new radiator in there... Apparently the bonnet is a new aftermarket one, so I was thinking spray in black?

carbon fibre wrap it cost less:)

Troy
09-04-2010, 10:51 PM
Ah hah interesting... but it's new so not painted yet. Would it need to be painted before wrapping in carbon fibre wrap?

ekcoupe
10-04-2010, 09:14 AM
im pretty sure it just goes on top dosent need to be painted but i could be wrong.

jks24
10-04-2010, 01:03 PM
damm man looks like quite a decent shunt good to see radiator didnt run dry though

what speed did you hit at?

Troy
14-04-2010, 11:01 AM
I was almost stopped, must have been about 15 or so when I hit. But it's a bit worse I think because of the inertia, still going forward. Blasted idiots slowing down to merge on the highway! Like I mean really slowing down, the idiot in front must have been just about stopped. The guy I hit thought he had hit the car in front of him but the car took off and couldn't see anything on the front bumper, and the car behind me was millimetres from my rear bar.

Not only that but about 5 minutes later, we had pushed the cars onto the shoulder and were exchanging details, a red Falcon w/ trailer screeched to a stop and was about 5 inches away from my rear bumper, dunno how he did it but he also said he was shoulder checking and must have wandered slightly onto the shoulder as he was doing so, said he hadn't seen us at all. Freaked us out.

Be careful when shoulder checking! BTW have attached a basic pic of the exit, it was bumper to bumper traffic that day, but should have left a wider gap. You can see there's not much room to merge at this particular onramp. Oh well, my bad - don't anyone else do it aye.

Troy
14-04-2010, 11:12 PM
Dad was working on the car when I got home this afternoon, we pulled the front out again, started it up and it's running fine. Have the replacement radiator ready to go, air condenser and bonnet still coming, and other odds and ends. Not looking too bad after all.

Randa
17-04-2010, 08:28 PM
how much does the touch up ppl cost mate??

Okay this thread is kind of like a list of things to do to my car to keep me motivated and have a single point of reference as I'm going. I've meant to start it for a while but haven't got around to it. I'll also upload pics of what I need to change/fix and edit them in when I get to it. If you have any helpful comments about something then feel free to quote it and let me know, I appreciate it. :)

Things that need fixing:

Drivers inside door handle comes out sometimes, need to hold in place to open door.
Front passenger door does not activate internal lights when open.
Also the front passenger door does not close properly, like it needs to "close" another 2mm or so, I'm hoping this is an easy fix of adjusting the hinge bolts or something.
Boot gas struts feel like dead weights, I think they can be re-gassed?
Drivers chair right-side support needs to be re-padded, someone must have sat on it a lot or taken a lot of hard left corners, or likely just worn from hopping in and out all the time.
Right rear passenger seat has single small hole, must be from cigarette burn. Can something like this easily be patched up?
Scratch marks on front windscreen following wipers line, not sure if repairable or needs replacing but it does annoy me.
Needs a better steering wheel, the current one has scratches all around it and doesn't feel strong at all. Not sure if there's a better one out there that also can take the airbag, or possibly get the whole thing stitched in leather?

Mechanical:

Calibrate TPS voltage. (need to convince Beeza to do it for me???)
Research into performance air filters and also mild sports exhaust, was quoted $250 for mild sports exhaust from cat back from a custom exhaust shop down the road from where I work, what do you think guys?

Aesthetics:

Car needs lowering, was looking up K-MAC lowered springs the other day. Strangely, I really like the standard rims and will be keeping them. Okay I'm really starting to think about saving up for coilovers and just slamming it on the standard mags...
Plenty of small carpark dings down both sides.
Windows need tinting.
Boot spoiler, I actually think it would look better without it, either remove and fill up/smooth/paint or find another white boot and swap?
Small ding in silver window surround on rear passenger window.
Black rubber surrounding window frame is coming out and pokes out, always attacks my foam sponge and chamois every time I wash the car (I'm learning to go around it).
Internal instruments cluster (right-half of tacho) and both air con dials, lights don't come on when parkers or headlights are on so can't see at night properly.
Also the handbrake release button has some silver chrome-looking stuff over it, most has come off and looks pretty average, would like to have it re-done if possible.
Want some decent floor mats, in fact if I could swap the whole interior over from my EXi cause it's in much better condition overall. How easy would that be? Carpets and all, but I would want to keep the VTI chair frame because it has up and down electric function.
Fully clean up engine bay, it's a bit dirty and needs a detail.

Things I have done so far:

New radiator from Red Devil Radiators Oxenford (always support these guys, they look after me well).
Have installed Sony Xplod CD player.
Always filled up with BP Ultimate.
Tyres rotate, balance, alignment, and filled with nitrogen.
Plenty of sudsy washes and chamois, including rims and blacken tyres.
Installed Winnie The Pooh chair into backseat so my 2yr old son can come with me sometimes (best mod EVER).
Full Stop Brakes @ Burleigh, full brake service. 4 new Bendix pads, all 4 disc rotors machined, new brake fluid. After bedding them in, this thing stops pretty damn hard! :thumbsup:
Inspected condition of timing belt, looks fine, will look at replacing it at 250,000 kays.
Serviced yesterday 21/02/2010, replaced engine oil and filter, also gearbox oil - engages gears so nice and easy now, next to no resistance at all!
Pulled windscreen wipers off, quick sand and paint in black. I'm not too good at this stuff so it's not a great job, but it still looks a lot better - just don't look at it too close! I'll have to re-do it sometime once I get some more paint practice in.
I don't know what it was, but there was black stuff like bits of tar all over the bonnet and front windscreen. I noticed it after work and it definitely wasn't there when I went out at about lunch time, I may have picked it up on the road or something happened when it was parked. Either way I gave it a quick wash after work and all the black stuff was thoroughly stained into the paint! It was really bad, I was so frustrated! :thumbdwn: So I called up the Touch Up Guys, he came out and had a look, didn't have any clue what it was but he was working pretty hard for a few hours to get it all out. He also touched up all the nicks and scratches around the car, there's a couple that are still pretty bad but it's a lot better than what it was. I sure don't want to go the whole respray route. He also buffed it up so it looks quite nice now. :thumbsup:

Cheers, any tips or comments are welcome but not expecting this thread to go overboard. Also if anyone has info about engines or where I can look, I have a 2.2L VTEC and I found online it puts out 107kW, apparently a H22A puts out 149kW and is a drop in swap? Anyone know about this cause it sounds interesting and I have done some research but obviously not enough yet.

Troy

Troy
19-04-2010, 10:18 AM
He charged me $200 which I thought was reasonable considering how long he spent on the car. That included getting the black stains out of the bonnet (still no idea what they were) and touching up the nicks and scratches around the whole car which some douche had put whiteout on them before I bought it.

A real PITA though because I've got the new bonnet coming thanks to the crash. :( Otherwise he probably would have charged $100 for all the nicks and scratches and a polish.

Troy
20-04-2010, 08:37 PM
New bonnet is on, looks a lot nicer already! Got quite a bit to do yet though. Probably early tomorrow morning I'll pull all the old rubbers and windscreen washers off the old bonnet so I can swap them across. Also need a new Honda badge, only got two little holes on the new one and the old one is damaged.

Troy
26-04-2010, 11:38 PM
Car is now up and running, still looks a bit off but at least it's all good and legal once again. The bumper needs to be adjusted about half an inch higher, other than that she's running great. New bonnet, new grille, new radiator, new air-con condenser (just needs regassing), new headlight setup.

Need a H bonnet emblem, and need to cut/polish and get rid of the green on the bumper.

Troy
27-04-2010, 12:20 AM
By the way, so nice to have VTEC again yo!

Driving the Camry is such a difference, it's so much lighter/responsive. The clutch/brakes/accelerator/steering/gears are all very light in feel, the Honda is just like so much heavier overall. The clutch and steering are the biggest differences. It's really interesting getting used to the Camry, it's actually got some pretty good low end torque, you can just bludge it in gear at low RPM no worries, she pulls fine, but the Honda just feels like it's dying under 2000. Then in the upper RPM range the Camry wheezes worse than something that wheezes really bad, whereas the Honda is kicking in stronger and stronger. Can hit 6000 in both cars but not worth going over 3800/4000 in the Camry.

Both pretty good cars overall though, Camry being the wagon, it's a great car for the family, chuck the kiddies in, chuck the pram in, and hit the highway - much better mileage than the Honda. (I still prefer the Honda though)

Troy
21-01-2011, 07:28 PM
Okay guys, put your technical hats on for me. What is making the strange whining noise? I had a leaking water pump, my dad has replaced it and we did the timing belt while he was in there. Also new oil and oil filter.

I took it for a test run, car runs fine, feels nice and smooth, just the shocking whine! I have a bit of hearing loss, and the test drive without my aids in, it bothered me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q40qkFE9iWM

Troy
23-01-2011, 10:59 PM
Doing some research on the whine, seems like others have had this issue when the timing belt is too tight. Going to try and get it re-tensioned. What do you guys think?

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=37681056

Holy Frog
24-01-2011, 04:06 PM
Yep I had a whine after I had my timing belt redone. It was only audible at idle, but really reduced the quality of the car.
When I complained, the junior Honda mechanic told me "don't worry, it'll go quiet after a few thousand kay's."
I wasn't convinced, but didn't want to ruin my relationship with the Honda dealer/service centre, so i believed them and waited.

6 months later, I had enough. Took it back to Honda and said fix it. They booked it in, tightened (or loosened) the timing belt, and the whine went away.

It sounded beautiful again - i.e. the car is inaudible inside, at idle.:thumbsup:
(...'xcept when the aircon fans kick in...)

Troy
24-01-2011, 07:36 PM
Yep, called dad this morning and asked him about re-tensioning the belt. He said that's probably it and we'll do it soon. Cheers for the comments.

Blasted air-con, need it in the summer but man it drains the power!

Troy
26-01-2011, 11:48 PM
Ok so here's the deal. My dad had a quick check and decided that it is safe to drive. But even after a slight retension it is still making the whine noise.

Anyone recommend a good mechanic familiar with Honda on the gold coast?

Holy Frog
27-01-2011, 09:20 AM
Anyone recommend a good mechanic familiar with Honda on the gold coast?

How bout a Honda dealer/service centre? You know there is a chance they might actually tighten it to factory spec.

Troy
27-01-2011, 02:19 PM
I have researched and read poor things about Gold Coast Honda dealership service departments...

But might have to give it a shot I guess?

Holy Frog
27-01-2011, 02:28 PM
I too am not convinced by the Honda Service Centre up here, as with all mechanics, there are good ones and bad ones. Its human nature in business.

However, Im working on the theory that the Honda Service Centre has a workshop manual for a CD5 at their fingertips.

Troy
27-01-2011, 08:02 PM
True... but any mechanic worth their salt will either have it or Google at hand...

57U-00
28-01-2011, 07:25 AM
hey troy,

haven't had this problem with a honda at all yet, but I have with a couple of other cars... it could be (but is not limited to) 1 of 2 things -

1) The belt is too tight (and needs to be loosened a fraction),

or

2) The belt, all-be-it the correct one, has come out of the factory a mm or 2 too wide (happens occasionally) and althought it fits, the sides are rubbing against the pulleys... however I doubt that it is this problem because as the mechanic said leave it for a while and it might go away, but it hasn't... i don't necessarily think that he was dodgy or trying to palm you off, as this is a common problem with belts in various models, but once again, clearly not this problem as it still hasn't gone away...

Hope this helps...

Troy
28-01-2011, 02:11 PM
Mechanic was trying to palm me off LOL!

My dad did it :)

Troy
28-01-2011, 07:25 PM
So I took it in to the Honda dealer today to get a quote on proper tensioning of the timing belt. He looked my car up and it hasn't been to a Honda dealer in over 10 years!

Apparently a long time back Honda issued a recall on some seals/gaskets or whatever behind the timing belt, so they have ordered the parts from Melbourne and we've booked it in next week.

So I guess that's a plus for taking it to a dealer regularly, they keep full records of the vehicle's history!

Holy Frog
29-01-2011, 01:56 PM
That's good to hear. For 5 years, I kept forgetting to bring my log book in when I was getting service done!

Troy
01-02-2011, 03:17 AM
Car is at the dealers, didn't get finished yesterday as they found some more seals in desperate need of replacement. Gave them the go ahead while they had it in parts.

I hope I get it back tomorrow, all nice and quiet and running happy that is.

P.S. updated first post quite a bit.

Troy
01-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Car back today, noise seems to still be there but noticeably quieter than before. They say it is running really good now so that's the main thing.

Next up is to get some smash repairs quotes, how much to finish up the front end and make it look clean again. Pending on cost is whether I seriously consider doing this car up a bit or not.

Troy
25-02-2011, 10:33 PM
So the noise is practically gone now. Still there if I'm really listening for it. I think it will be completely gone soon enough. Very interesting, it seems the theory is true for me that the belt will stretch just a bit more and the whine will go away.

Had a client come in the other day and I fixed his computer. Turns out he runs a smash repairs shop very close to my work. He had a quick look and said $400-500 would most likely cover the lot to be completely finished up properly. I am very tempted. It's a bit embarrassing driving such a nice car around in the current state. I think it deserves a bit better!

Then I can move on with improving handling. Anyone got any info on what suspension mods they have done to their CD5? Sway bars? Coilovers? Anything else, like I am researching and finding that I need to put extra bracing on the subframe before adding sways/coilovers?

sugz
28-02-2011, 01:37 PM
It depends how much improvement you want from your car

My suggestion is good Tyres, good coilovers and solid sway bars

And replace all your tired bushings with polyurethane bushes while your at it too

Troy
28-02-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks sugz. At them moment I am running fairly new tyres. They are Bridgestone Turanza, forget the exact model and size right now, maybe ER300?. But I have been very impressed with them. I have just hit 5000 k's on them and had a rotation/balance check on the weekend.

Do you have any recommended places to buy suspension parts to suit the CD5? Looking to add sway bars soon, possibly replaces bushes as you have said. Any sort of subframe bracing to suit as I have seen others talking about?

Then once all that's sorted would have to save up again and get coilovers. It sounds like the right order to do it in, get the bars and bushes all sorted so that the last thing to do is coilovers and then I know it's all done right. Rather than have the coilovers installed and then have other problems crop up.

To put it in a nutshell I want it to handle just excellent. For a weekend bash up and down the mountain. Right now I am not too bothered about power. Stock engine pulls strong (esp. with A/C OFF) and when pushed it can keep up reasonably well. I think I'd like to get the handling sorted first. That and of course it is going to need a brake service soon. As we skimmed the discs last time I think I will be up for new rotors. Looking at upgrading at least the fronts to some slotted for better performance.

Cheers

sugz
03-03-2011, 06:20 PM
as for suspension
you can get them from US, Japan or even here in Australia
depends what kind of coilovers you want and how much you willing to spend.

some of the coils you can choose from
Function and Forms 2.5 (im using it atm), Tein Type Wagon, Tein SS, Tanabe, BC Racing (not buddy club, its Bor Chuan or somethin lol)

search HondaSociety.com for other accords' sussy set up, search on ozaccord as well
heaps of infos there

Troy
03-03-2011, 10:30 PM
Been doing some research tonight. Looking into that HondaSociety.com site, never found it before. I've searched OzAccord a bit but I'm not active there much, I really don't like the forum skin and can't seem to find if we can change it or not.

But also been looking on eBay to see what is around. Searching for Megan Racing turns up heaps of stuff. So researching into that brand, anyone familiar with the brand name? Good quality brand?

Here's some stuff I found for example:

Megan Accord 90-92 93 94 95 96 97 Rear Lower Arms Link - USD $117.90
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan-Accord-90-92-93-94-95-96-97-Rear-Lower-Arms-Link-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem230e7f48ecQQitemZ15056 7078124QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Megan Accord 90-92 93 94 95 96 97 Rear Toe Control Arms - USD $112.90
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan-Accord-90-92-93-94-95-96-97-Rear-Toe-Control-Arms-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem483f35fcc5QQitemZ31029 8148037QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Megan Accord 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 Rear Camber Kit - USD $122.90
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Megan-Accord-90-91-92-93-94-95-96-97-Rear-Camber-Kit-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem19c3657492QQitemZ11065 2388498QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

MEGAN COILOVER DAMPER KIT EZ STREET 90-97 HONDA ACCORD - USD $699
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-COILOVER-DAMPER-KIT-EZ-STREET-90-97-HONDA-ACCORD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem415214aa11QQitemZ28054 9960209QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

MEGAN RACING 4-2-1 HEADER HONDA ACCORD 94-97 NEW!! - USD $159
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-RACING-4-2-1-HEADER-HONDA-ACCORD-94-97-NEW-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem43a4aedfffQQitemZ29052 5732863QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

MEGAN RACING FRONT STRUT BAR POLISHED 90-97 ACCORD - USD $34
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-RACING-FRONT-STRUT-BAR-POLISHED-90-97-ACCORD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588cc51ce1QQitemZ38031 8850273QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

MEGAN RACING REAR LOWER TIE BAR RED 90-93 94-97 ACCORD - USD $29
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MEGAN-RACING-REAR-LOWER-TIE-BAR-RED-90-93-94-97-ACCORD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem588cc56d96QQitemZ38031 8870934QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

So some of these things seem pretty much like the same kind of thing. I'm going to research into them and see what they all do if I'm not sure. If anyone wants to take a stab at helping me understand what this stuff is (or has good links) I'd appreciate it.

sugz
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
dnt get megan, HS will tell you how good they are lol

Camber kit - look up SPC, Ingalls or Wicked tuning
Strut bar - look up Ultra Racing
header - i dont know, i dont have F22
Swaybar - whiteline

Troy
04-03-2011, 09:08 PM
Yeah I did a lot of research on them last night after posting. I am going to keep them in mind. A lot of people such as yourself have written on forums saying don't buy but never really give solid info why. Or they "knew" a friend of a friend who had Megan Racing products and something bad happened. But the more I read the more I found people who actually purchased the product, wrote up a decent before/after analysis, and took photos (some threads). Others said the quality of their products was rather average years ago but now they are very good for the money. I will spend some time this weekend and look up Honda Society threads to see people's experiences there as well.

For example you have said, don't get Megan, but I ask you why not? Have you owned any of their products and had bad experiences? Not meaning this as an attack or anything, just genuinely trying to understand.

But going by my budget, something like the Megan EZ Streets or TEIN Basic look exactly like what I'm after. A decent but entry level coilover for my daily.

Not worried about header right now, it just came up in my searching.

Also if you look up whiteline website and search for my car, it doesn't exist. Products start from '97 model on. Pffffft. But thinking about this for my car: http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?140020-1994-1996-Accord-CD5-Rear-Sway-Bar-Look-Here!&highlight=accord+sway

Thanks man, I appreciate your thoughts.

FAT VTI
08-03-2011, 08:09 PM
I have Tein Basic. I didnt have the extra to get SS. They are very good entry level coilovers.

Troy
08-03-2011, 08:12 PM
Mmmm thanks man, have looked them up previously and thought they looked reasonable for the price. Definitely more around my budget anyway. I'm not too bothered if it isn't the most slammable, adjustable etc... for track use. This is just my daily after all.

Also considering I have never actually owned a car with coilovers or even performance springs/shocks, this will be a big jump for me. Have driven other cars and liked. :D

Troy
08-03-2011, 08:35 PM
Here's an interesting point... Just been searching on eBay. Can get Megan Racing EZ Street for $200 cheaper than Tein Basic. Including delivery from overseas (US). Basically looking at $850 vs. $1050.

I might give Mermaid Suspension a call tomorrow and see what sort of stock they can get in and pricing.

$200 could go a long way in other areas as long as the EZ Streets are up to it.

Rudy
09-03-2011, 12:05 AM
I don't know... I am cautious because Megan are basically rebadged D2, Ksport etc with different spring rates, and the dampening most likely won't be properly matched to the springs or the car. All the reviews come from the US, and their roads are significantly better than ours (esp cali, florida, etc) . Put wooden springs on and those cats will still be smiling saying how it rides 'like stock'. They only care about looks (drop) only.

Megan EZ are non adjustable dampening...forget about that in Aus. Our streets are so bad you'll be turning that dial to soft before you even install them. So you would want the more expensive model anyhow.

For 1k you could probably import some Konis from the US and Eibach sportline. If you want 'slammed', i guess BC racing isn't bad. They at least provide shock dyno graphs to back up their product and are popular in some racing circles.

Troy
14-03-2011, 11:22 PM
I don't know... I am cautious because Megan are basically rebadged D2, Ksport etc with different spring rates, and the dampening most likely won't be properly matched to the springs or the car.

OK so what exactly are you saying? The D2 and Ksport are also not good? Or that when Megan rebrand them it is because they are no good, but D2 and Ksport are good? Just confused with wording there. Also again, you have given me information but no proof to show that Megan do rebrand other company products.

Anyway I just looked up D2 on eBay to see what's going down...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D2-RACING-RS-COILOVER-90-97-HONDA-ACCORD-SUSPENSION-SET-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c58b88447QQitemZ19046 7048519QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Looks like a very competitive price, definitely don't need to whole 32 notches of adjustment! But shipping is the killer there, if I was to seriously consider that one, I would chase up my mate and see when his next shipment is coming over (he imports things from US). Free shipping to US, then get it delivered to where his next shipment is coming. Only problem is it would take ages but oh well.

Rudy
17-03-2011, 06:46 PM
OK so what exactly are you saying? The D2 and Ksport are also not good? Or that when Megan rebrand them it is because they are no good, but D2 and Ksport are good? Just confused with wording there. Also again, you have given me information but no proof to show that Megan do rebrand other company products.

Anyway I just looked up D2 on eBay to see what's going down...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/D2-RACING-RS-COILOVER-90-97-HONDA-ACCORD-SUSPENSION-SET-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2c58b88447QQitemZ19046 7048519QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccesso ries

Looks like a very competitive price, definitely don't need to whole 32 notches of adjustment! But shipping is the killer there, if I was to seriously consider that one, I would chase up my mate and see when his next shipment is coming over (he imports things from US). Free shipping to US, then get it delivered to where his next shipment is coming. Only problem is it would take ages but oh well.

My bad, my wording might have been a little bit scrambled. Yes D2 and Ksport are no good. And Megan don't re-brand anything. Rather, all the companies get their parts from the BCEC factories in Taiwan. Ksport is orange and d2 is purple. Thats about as much R&D that ksport/megan/d2 put into them. I would actually go for BC's own brand, which can be found from BC Racing dealers in Aus for around 1200-1250 (also comes with the Aus warranty) . Why? Isn't it just the same as d2, ksport, and megan? Good question. Although they actually make the parts for those companies, they put more R&D into their own brand, and the internals aren't quite the same. They are also well received in certain circles such as Rexnet. I also say BC because these are the only Taiwanese brand to produce and show shock dyno graphs.

As for proof. All this is based on a vague recollection of my chats with 16 year old experts on various forums. Namely, my convo with Wong, a blind dyslexic, but cheery youth. I don't exactly have spies outside the factories showing them swapping stickers between Ksport and D2 though. Im working on that.

All 'the answers' can be found from the threads in these search results...

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=www.bcec.com.tw+d2+megan

http://www.google.com.au/search?sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8&q=Borr+Chuann+megan#hl=en&safe=off&sa=X&ei=vMmBTYfoFo2EvgOz76nbCA&ved=0CBUQvwUoAQ&q=Bor+Chuann+megan&spell=1&fp=25a2392d60143322

Whatever you chose,
Best of luck.

Troy
18-03-2011, 12:15 AM
Yeah mate I see your point. Thanks for actually getting back to me with some more thoughts and also links. It's all very interesting and I have to admit when it comes to ANYTHING in life, the better quality item is pretty much always quite a bit more expensive!

I will keep saving and researching!