PDA

View Full Version : Painting wipers

grifty
29-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Well over 19 years the colour on the wipers starts to fade away you all know what i mean :p. Im just wondering if i could use etch primer on them to paint them matt back since ive got some left over in a can. Thanks

kcokla
29-01-2010, 04:59 PM
yes you can
make sure you clean them and giving them alight sand will help too.

xclusive_eg8
29-01-2010, 09:02 PM
yep, i put some blue engine enamel on mine, stands out well...although most panal beaters spray them proper in 2 pak for like $40

kcokla
29-01-2010, 09:06 PM
Well over 19 years the colour on the wipers starts to fade away you all know what i mean :p. Im just wondering if i could use etch primer on them to paint them matt back since ive got some left over in a can. Thanks

in detail, id suggest using soapy water and a scotch brite, then some light sanding, then prime it / then paint.

prepping is important, however, i know of people who didnt give a shit and just sprayed it which it turned out fine, didnt last aslong as mine, but its just small things, nothing major, and cheap to replace anyway.

grifty
29-01-2010, 09:12 PM
yeah i got plenty of spare time so i wont rush it, i should have them all done by the end of tomorrow, ill post up some before and after pics and maybe write up a diy.

WATAJK
29-01-2010, 09:23 PM
in detail, id suggest using soapy water and a scotch brite, then some light sanding, then prime it / then paint.

prepping is important, however, i know of people who didnt give a shit and just sprayed it which it turned out fine, didnt last aslong as mine, but its just small things, nothing major, and cheap to replace anyway.

Couldn't agree with you more on how important prepping is..
Since my car is at the shop, little things like that, im going get my panel beater to do for me as my wipers are F*k'd

Tarquin
29-01-2010, 09:56 PM
I suggest using a satin or semi gloss black, some of the flat black paints, especially the cheaper ones apperar more of a charcoal grey after hardly any time at all. And gloss just looks cheap IMO

tsg88
29-01-2010, 10:08 PM
I put matt black on mine just to get rid of the silver... works ok but like others said after a while it starts to go charcoal (mine hasn't actually but its good stuff my dad had), which doesn't look too bad anyway but w/e. I am gonna clean them up and put on some satin when I get a chance... would be an easy job if I could get the rear wiper off, its corroded on so I have to protect the car then go for it.

Red_EG4
29-01-2010, 10:54 PM
is it easy to pop the wipers off?

grifty
29-01-2010, 11:27 PM
is it easy to pop the wipers off?

Yeah u just remove the cap from the bottom to reveal the bolt and undo that bolt and it should come off

grifty
29-01-2010, 11:29 PM
I suggest using a satin or semi gloss black, some of the flat black paints, especially the cheaper ones apperar more of a charcoal grey after hardly any time at all. And gloss just looks cheap IMO

well ill try the flat black i got at home first, its not one of the cheap ones i payed $15 for it, if it still turns out like crap ill just go and buy some semi gloss black.

Red_EG4
30-01-2010, 12:07 AM
Yeah u just remove the cap from the bottom to reveal the bolt and undo that bolt and it should come off

I'll take a look, thanks :thumbsup: