PDA

View Full Version : rocker cover paint peeled

MWAKU
29-01-2010, 11:53 PM
reading that DIY on importing engines, it says to stay clear of half cuts with paint peeling off the rocker cover

whats the main problem that can occur from paint peeling rocker covers? bought that shit box civic it had paint peeling, and the car turned out to be the biggest shitbox ever problems every day.

looking to buy another car in 3 months, but hesitating to buy a car with paint peeling, is there a major concern? even if the car was always serviced?

i can only compare that, my old civic had paint peeling, car was a rat, my prelude now has no paint peeling, and it runs like a dream..

also what causes the paint to peel?

xntrik
30-01-2010, 01:41 AM
Usually abuse to the engine.
Thrashing it, causing the engine to heat up to extreme temperatures.
I.E Paint Peel On Rocker Cover.

Kthx.
Thats as far as I know.

jdm-ek
30-01-2010, 01:43 AM
they might of overuse the engine degreaser at carwash hence paint faded and peeling

slimx
30-01-2010, 02:00 AM
heat.. takes it off..

Could have overheated a few time the car.. nothing to serious, with paint peeling like that u can bargain the bloke down..

if your that concerned after you buy it, just buy it check it out if u dont like it, paint the cover yourself to a nice pure black. and sell it, it'll sell quicker cause the 1st thing ppl lay eyes on in an engine is that lol.

JasonGilholme
30-01-2010, 07:18 AM
compression / leakdown will tell you everything you need to know.

Paint can come off from lazy mechanics bangin tools down on the rocker cover too so it might just be an asthetic thing.

teh_mechanic
30-01-2010, 09:02 AM
paint peeling is a completely rheotarded way to determine what condition the engine is.
it can be because of anything, climate the car was in, brake fluid spilled on top, poor painting preparation, tools hitting it, honda fanboys rubbing themselves on it too much.

do a compression test to see what condition the engine is in

dougie_504
31-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Yeah do a comp test and if it's good just respray it a nice new colour

trentd
10-02-2010, 11:04 AM
how i see it is; if paint is peeling off the valve cover and there is a light coloured dust everywhere, it is thrashed hard.
but you also have to take into consideration that if the car was older like a 93 or 94 civic or integra, then you have to expect that because the car is now 16 - 17 years old, paint can easily come off, just by taking it off and putting it on the ground its bound to chip off.

With mine i pulled it off, soaked it, wet sanded it, dried it out and left it soaking in paint thinner overnight, then the next day got the high pressure hose and it got rid of everything.
i then powdercoated it and it looks terrific now.

Mugen_R
12-02-2010, 07:39 PM
paint peeling is a completely rheotarded way to determine what condition the engine is.
it can be because of anything, climate the car was in, brake fluid spilled on top, poor painting preparation, tools hitting it, honda fanboys rubbing themselves on it too much.

do a compression test to see what condition the engine is in

totally agree with you mate

xQuizit
12-02-2010, 07:59 PM
if the engine was like 10+ yrs old paint would def start to peel, dont know of any other paint that can withstand 100+degrees in an engine bay without paint wearing off
my opinion when buying a half cut opinion a perfect rocker cover without peeling paint would seem abit dogey, if its a 10+ year old engine

grifty
12-02-2010, 08:04 PM
if the engine was like 10+ yrs old paint would def start to peel, dont know of any other paint that can withstand 100+degrees in an engine bay without paint wearing off

my car is 19yrs old this month and no signs of peeling yet, maybe because its only got 108000kms on it?

5thgen_prel
12-02-2010, 10:50 PM
i waz told tat in japan its cold their so the paint flakes off T_T dnt tell me i got fooled

kelviN
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
had my car "Detailed". Engine bay was steamed or something but that took away alot of the paint on the engine cover. Didnt really care anyways since i was gonna paint it

sheeeedan
14-02-2010, 10:43 PM
regular engine wash, but nothing to worry about XD
i scrapped of my rocker cover paint.

come to my shop i'll do the comp test for ya

MWAKU
14-02-2010, 10:47 PM
lol, nah when i go look at the next car, come with my bring tools 2 do comp test :P