PDA

View Full Version : New Castrol Edge 5w30? Anybody found it yet?! Call out to Oil Guru's?

Phased
30-01-2010, 01:22 AM
Hi Everyone,

I have came down to a point where I am tired of paying $130 per oil change on materials for a car that barely sees over 3,500rpm. However, I still do believe in protecting an engine as much as possible or is foreseen as reasonable. When it comes down to it... I mean why not?

I've been using AMSOIL mainly due to the wear additive package and the fact that its a 100% PAO based synthetic. (I also use a Fully Synthetic AMSOIL Oil Filter, only $5 more expensive than OEM).

I am now and have been for a while in the market for a much better value for money oil but mainly due to the fact the distributors of AMSOIL in AUS refuse to stock the 5w30 anymore for some ungodly reason. I've considered the Castrol Edge 5w30 but the spec sheet from the Australian Site differs GREATLY from that of the US... and the US EDGE seems to have alot of well known advertising of the new additive package and PAO blend base stock. (Group IV and III).

The advertising has been confirmed the US Castrol Edge 5w30 has up to 8x better wear protection compared to the Mobil 1 5w30... now thats a statement and a half...

I'm pretty sure the Aus Castrol Edge is refined in the country as the spec sheets vary GREATLY. It has VERY high kst Viscosities for a 5w30 weight oil (almost 20% higher in viscosity compared to US variant) which brings it close to a 10w40!!!

Far out I can ramble a lot... anyway...

My Question is basically if you oil guru's have found the American or "New" Castrol Edge anywhere in AUS... Preferably in Melbourne and if you have any evidence to question the difference between the Data Sheets.

Also a call out to Aaronng! lol

aaronng
30-01-2010, 01:53 AM
Our Edge 5w-30 here is the Group III oil, not the same as the one in the US. The US Edge is more like the Castrol SLX-type oil.

If we were to get the US-type Edge 5w-30 here, I'm sure the price would end up being too high. The 5w-30 is already $55, while the Group IV 0w-40 is $69. So there is not much room for another oil to slot in between the existing two.

Phased
30-01-2010, 02:09 AM
Arrrrg... I had a feeling that would be the case. Even so apparently the US one isn't a full PAO Group IV oil. Its a "proprietary" blend of Group IV and III. The cost did cross my mind but I had a feeling it would become much more expensive than our Hydrocracked Group III version...

I tell you what's annoying; when you read/hear about how much Americans pay for oil. They pay sometimes less than $5US per quart for Mobil 1 5w30... if you work out the australian price when you buy 5L its roughly $18AUD per quart... and that's bulk... WHAT A JOKE!!! We pay over Triple what the americans pay. I wouldn't want to know how much they would charge in AUS for AMSOIL if it was in Retail outlets. The only reason it's reasonably priced is because it's imported directly, the distributors sell to the public.