PDA

View Full Version : belt whistle noise

pvn
30-01-2010, 03:49 AM
Hello friends.

I am pretty sure this question is covered in the manual but currently I am on a trip and my Honda manual is at home.

My accessory belt has stared to make a noise yesterday. The noise is like whistle. It is more audible when the car is cold - usually when start the car for the first time in the morning.

I went to a local mechanic here (not official Honda mechanic/dealer) and he told me that this is definitely the belt and I should not worry about. Then he showed me this trick: He took a bottle with mineral water and throw a little water on the belt. The noise stopped IMMEDIATELY. After my (o.0) look he told me that this is only a work-around and the noise will return soon or later. It has indeed. He also told me that this does not need immediate fix and can wait till the next maintenance.

I took a picture from the belt tensioner, but I am not sure is it OK or not because as I said before I have no manual with me. Could you please tell me on the picture where the triangle should point? In section A or in section B?

The picture is taken when the engine is warm. I am not sure if this really matters. I am on 87 000km and have no idea whether the belt is changed before or not as long I am the second owner of the car.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English.

tony1234
30-01-2010, 08:43 AM
Hello friends.

I am pretty sure this question is covered in the manual but currently I am on a trip and my Honda manual is at home.

My accessory belt has stared to make a noise yesterday. The noise is like whistle. It is more audible when the car is cold - usually when start the car for the first time in the morning.

I went to a local mechanic here (not official Honda mechanic/dealer) and he told me that this is definitely the belt and I should not worry about. Then he showed me this trick: He took a bottle with mineral water and throw a little water on the belt. The noise stopped IMMEDIATELY. After my (o.0) look he told me that this is only a work-around and the noise will return soon or later. It has indeed. He also told me that this does not need immediate fix and can wait till the next maintenance.

I took a picture from the belt tensioner, but I am not sure is it OK or not because as I said before I have no manual with me. Could you please tell me on the picture where the triangle should point? In section A or in section B?

The picture is taken when the engine is warm. I am not sure if this really matters. I am on 87 000km and have no idea whether the belt is changed before or not as long I am the second owner of the car.

Thank you and sorry for my bad English.
Looks like your accessory belt needs to be replaced.In the meantime for a quick fix you could spray some silicone spray or belt grip on the belt while the engine is running.

teh_mechanic
30-01-2010, 08:55 AM
its fine. as the belt wears it will stretch a bit, so the tensioner moves to take up that extra slack. Replacing the belt will fix your noise, for now you can put some rubber grease or silicone spray on the belt, works the same as the water but for longer.

theres nothing wrong, belts just wear out over time

aaronng
30-01-2010, 11:40 AM
The tensioner looks ok. It has only moved about 1 or 2mm from the new position. A new belt will sit directly in between the A and B boxes. So your belt is not stretched. BUT that does not tell you if your belt is worn.

The cause of the noise is belt slip, so inspect the underside of the belt for uneven wear. If you do have uneven wear or if it looks like the ribs are worn out, then replace with a new belt. They are quite cheap. I am using a Gates 7PK1760 belt.

Edit: Fixed the belt number.

pvn
30-01-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank you very much! This helps me a lot.

aaronng
30-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Thank you very much! This helps me a lot.

I just checked the belt, it is 7PK1760, NOT 7PK1220. I made a typo in my post above.

Mr.PT
12-11-2010, 07:49 AM
hey guys i didnt wanan start a new thread for this
but my car is doing the same now and i was just wondering if its my timing belt? cause i think thats the only belt i can see in the engine bay
i'm pretty noob when it comes to this kinda of stuff so much help would be appreciated.
it only happens when then engines cold and i hear a little whistle sound on start up
and when engine is still cold not on normal temperature yet i can hear the engine hissing a bit when i start to rev a bit more?

tony1234
12-11-2010, 08:47 AM
hey guys i didnt wanan start a new thread for this
but my car is doing the same now and i was just wondering if its my timing belt? cause i think thats the only belt i can see in the engine bay
i'm pretty noob when it comes to this kinda of stuff so much help would be appreciated.
it only happens when then engines cold and i hear a little whistle sound on start up
and when engine is still cold not on normal temperature yet i can hear the engine hissing a bit when i start to rev a bit more?

It's the accessory belt you need to replace not the timing belt.Euros have chain driven timing belt.See above posts for belt #, how to temporarily fix etc.

Mr.PT
12-11-2010, 08:55 AM
It's the accessory belt you need to replace not the timing belt.Euros have chain driven timing belt.See above posts for belt #, how to temporarily fix etc.

but i've looked and i only got one belt?
but yer so its the accessory belt i need to replace?

tony1234
12-11-2010, 09:16 AM
but i've looked and i only got one belt?
but yer so its the accessory belt i need to replace?

Yes only one belt.It's the one you need to replace.

Mr.PT
12-11-2010, 09:22 AM
Yes only one belt.It's the one you need to replace.

aight thanks
is that certain its the belt?

aaronng
12-11-2010, 10:43 AM
aight thanks
is that certain its the belt?
You can always try the water trick to confirm if it is the belt.

Mr.PT
12-11-2010, 11:20 AM
You can always try the water trick to confirm if it is the belt.

ok pretty certain its the belt thanks guys

Mr.PT
12-11-2010, 05:02 PM
i ended up taking it to my mechanic and he said its not the belt
but because it only whistle when its cold start or when the engine isnt warmed up yet he cant distinguish whats the problem
any other reasons for this sound?