PDA

View Full Version : B16Ä2 VTEC "KICK" "FEELING" Non Existent?

CB7_OWNER
30-01-2010, 10:12 AM
Hey Guys

I know i might get flamed on for this... But MEH..

Soo i have a EM1> B16A2 > INJEN CAI > MUFFLER

I can clearly hear vtec engage at about 5.8krpms

However i never "FEEL" the engagement of vtec. Like if i were to sit in the passenger seat with headphones on, and blocked out all sound.. i wouldnt be able to tell when vtec engages..

Now is this normal? Or i am i actually suppose to ""FEEL" a "KICK" so to say...

Im asking in relation to B16 only. Cause i sat in a b20 before,, and i actually got the "KICK"and felt it pretty obviously.

Thanks! :p

Zilli
30-01-2010, 10:22 AM
im not so sure you feel it the way you want to feel it in a B16 to be honest...

CB7_OWNER
30-01-2010, 10:26 AM
Exactly... I feel nothing.. I've been on the forums for a while, read alot about VTEC YOO. and i finally got myself a DOHC VTEC .. guess i had my expectations to high.. I know i cant put/compare the B16 in the same class as a b18/b20/k20.. But was still expecting some sorta "feeling"

Or maybe my engine is just shoddy?

Q_ball
30-01-2010, 10:39 AM
If you want that "Oh what a feeling" feeling, you should buy a Toyota! :p

kcokla
30-01-2010, 10:41 AM
this may get a few haters, but i think vtec is slightly over-rated.

ive enver driven a b16a before but i have driven a handful of others with vtec, b20 and b18c h22a and so on.
'vtec just kicked in yo'
is NOT like hyperspace(star wars reference). there is a slight tiny pull and it jumps in loudness. i wouldnt know the condition of your engine and so on but dont get your hopes up!

saikou27
30-01-2010, 10:41 AM
i think u have this idea in your head that its going to be like a huge surge of power like when a turbo kicks in. dw im sure u vtec's fine, b16's dont seem to have a very agressive vtec switchover

CB7_OWNER
30-01-2010, 11:24 AM
I know not to expect anthing like turbo.

But as my friend was saying last night, as he was following behind me, "I heard your VTEC, but i didnt see you gain on me at all LOL"

I dont think VTEC is "slightly" over rated. It is just over-rated on a stock engine. Something that is worked/tuned i suppose is a totally different story.

MWAKU
30-01-2010, 11:35 AM
lol, in my h22z, the only time i feel the vtec is in gear 1, every gear after that, vtecs just a sound

anfo2gig
30-01-2010, 12:43 PM
lol no big kick i can feel from vtec beside the sound

TheSaint
30-01-2010, 12:53 PM
the b16 vtec engagement is a little more rev focused than a change in torque like its bigger brothers

remember vtec gives you optimum power curve for low and high revs rather than just one curve over the whole rev range ... not a massive kik in the pants power increase

think of it as having 2 sweet spots instead of just one in ur rev range

Zinyo
30-01-2010, 01:45 PM
im not so sure you feel it the way you want to feel it in a B16 to be honest...

^^^agreed.
if ur car is fairly stock u wont be able to tell any difference in 3rd gear<

xntrik
30-01-2010, 03:09 PM
You finally realised how slow honda's are.
lololol

MrJohn
30-01-2010, 03:24 PM
b16a is shit all together lol

Hooman
30-01-2010, 03:34 PM
the only Honda I've felt the VTEC kick is DC2R and H22A BB6 Lude...haven't driven an S2000 but im sure u would feel it in that.

xntrik
30-01-2010, 03:41 PM
Sat in an s2000 vtec. stock.
No.

CRXDEL501
30-01-2010, 03:47 PM
Well for starters... I think your expectations of vtec may have been for it to be somewhat like turbo, well it isn't. You should feel the difference when it does kick in but b16a stock doesn't kick that hard.. I know my r did stock but totally different engine...

Vtec wasn't designed to give a massive feeling... Want to feel somehing turbo it.

ninzee
30-01-2010, 04:01 PM
if u want to feel the kick in a b16a clutch kick it lol or hit vtec in 1st gear in the rain :)

eg5civic
30-01-2010, 04:17 PM
yeah i got a b16b and theres no real "kick"

lots of noise, lots of revs but no real kick

WATAJK
30-01-2010, 04:22 PM
DC5R is pretty good... I can feel it but i wouldn't say it's a turbo kick in feeling...
I can feel the kick in every gear but 5 & 6 as i wouldn't try reaching those sorta speeds to try get VTEC engaging lol
First and second is when you really feel it i'd say but it's been ages since i drove my ITR now so yeah...
Will let you know how i go with all the new mods i've got going on but gotta wait till i get my car back :)

NightKids
30-01-2010, 10:20 PM
B16A should have the most noise though as the crossover is quite loud.

Zilli
30-01-2010, 11:47 PM
guys can you learn to read please... OP stated that he isnt expecting it to be like a turbo...

I think TheSaint put it very well... VTEC was designed as a system to optimise engine performance throughout the rev range, allowing good drivability and fuel efficiency at low revs, and increased power, torque and performance in the higher rev range... so for a vtec d series for example, there is a changover but it was purely designed for the above. The B series motors got a bit more edgy, with the special motors for the "type R" drivetrains tweaked to maximise, which resulted in a strong cutover that you do notice...

The B16a is a great motor man, even though you dont feel the kick, it is very versatile with a incredible range of mods available... do the usual I/H/E mods and you should see a reasonable difference!

jeffreymui
31-01-2010, 12:09 AM
u need a b20vtec andrew:) hahahah just cause u've been on my car:P:P

tsg88
31-01-2010, 12:28 AM
I can honestly say I have never been impressed with the whole VTEC yo thing. If anything the major gain from the b16a is the dual cam setup. Driven in my uncles VTEC accord and never felt the pull either, just more noise like someone turned the volume up. Makes you feel like your going faster anyway haha.

I've never driven a SOHC 4cyl motor that goes as well as the little d16 in my station runner. I have always been more of a muscle car..er GMH fan... I don't expect much from small japanese cars other than the shopping and work. But its fun to watch others play with them.

Saying that though, the best pull I have felt was in a shitty old turbo'd Mazda. Still going epicly slow but it was pulling and tsss'ing. haha.

TheSaint
31-01-2010, 01:50 AM
thanks zilli ... i feel like times have changed alot ...

people used to know what vtec/honda was all about and respect it ... but i guess not anymore

GSi_PSi
31-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Was suprised how little of torque the B16a had, but you got to remember its a 1.6L non-turbo. Lol i think the B20 might of had you expecting a bit more... but not to worry just change the bottom end+mods+computer and watch the difference

dougie_504
31-01-2010, 08:08 AM
^^^^

Yeah I'm strongly considering going B20VTEC in my JDM CRX when I get home from Europe.

My head gasket needs to be changed, and my timing belt/water pump aren't far off, so I'm thinking B20VTEC with new 2.5'' headers/exhaust, either CAI all piping or DIY ICE box.

Maybe head work, like valves, springs, retainers, gear, shafts, 3-angle.

What do you think?

Zilli
31-01-2010, 09:16 AM
thanks zilli ... i feel like times have changed alot ...

people used to know what vtec/honda was all about and respect it ... but i guess not anymore

without spamming, i think people just dont understand it man! these cars are getting more affordable and landing in the hands of a younger generation who are expecting more, without appreciating the engineering...

:-) but then places like Ozhonda will hopefully help educate!

90LAN
31-01-2010, 09:17 AM
if you want to feel the kick

you need to change to a lower gears so its high in the rev range of the vtec
say 80 kms back to 2 nd gear

you wont feel anything if its a gradual acceleration

in saying that a quality intake , header and exhaust will make the car feel alot better

as vtecs love to breathe

anyway all the haters on b16 must realise it is a 21 year old design and forget it was the best 1.6lt na motor for its DAY

compared to other motors today of course it will seem so to others

GSi_PSi
31-01-2010, 02:25 PM
^^^^

Yeah I'm strongly considering going B20VTEC in my JDM CRX when I get home from Europe.

My head gasket needs to be changed, and my timing belt/water pump aren't far off, so I'm thinking B20VTEC with new 2.5'' headers/exhaust, either CAI all piping or DIY ICE box.

Maybe head work, like valves, springs, retainers, gear, shafts, 3-angle.

What do you think?

The difference you will feel jumping from a B16a stock to worked B20 will be hugggee. All you need is a good tune with tuneable ecu and your set. Get some RS machines in their, cheap as chips

tiksie
31-01-2010, 03:20 PM
My JDM B16A with Type R cams, IHE and B18 gearbox gave a long and good 'kick', people that sat in it thought it had a B18CR lulz.

It was preety fkn quick though for a b16

eg5civic
31-01-2010, 03:47 PM
if you want to feel the kick

you need to change to a lower gears so its high in the rev range of the vtec
say 80 kms back to 2 nd gear

you wont feel anything if its a gradual acceleration

in saying that a quality intake , header and exhaust will make the car feel alot better

as vtecs love to breathe

anyway all the haters on b16 must realise it is a 21 year old design and forget it was the best 1.6lt na motor for its DAY

compared to other motors today of course it will seem so to others

What do you mean best 1.6L motor in its day

I'd say its still the best 1.6L motor on the market!
How many cars nowadays with a 1.6L would beat a b16a civic
I left my mates impreza rx for dead and thats a 2L motor and he had full exhaust, i'm running stock b16b headers and standard d series catback

TheSaint
31-01-2010, 04:54 PM
subaru has alot of power loss with is AWD system ... u would probably beat an N/A EJ25 as well

morgs202
31-01-2010, 05:25 PM
guys can you learn to read please... OP stated that he isnt expecting it to be like a turbo...

I think TheSaint put it very well... VTEC was designed as a system to optimise engine performance throughout the rev range, allowing good drivability and fuel efficiency at low revs, and increased power, torque and performance in the higher rev range... so for a vtec d series for example, there is a changover but it was purely designed for the above. The B series motors got a bit more edgy, with the special motors for the "type R" drivetrains tweaked to maximise, which resulted in a strong cutover that you do notice...

The B16a is a great motor man, even though you dont feel the kick, it is very versatile with a incredible range of mods available... do the usual I/H/E mods and you should see a reasonable difference!

:thumbsup:

dougie_504
31-01-2010, 11:03 PM
The difference you will feel jumping from a B16a stock to worked B20 will be hugggee. All you need is a good tune with tuneable ecu and your set. Get some RS machines in their, cheap as chips

I'm currently using just I/H/E (2.25" RS*R headers and 2" 5Zigen catback).

This year I was planning to save $20,000-26,000 toward a house deposit but I've decided to get this car-thing out of my system before I move out of home and go all independant - I have all my life to grow old and boring!

So I'm planning to get home from Europe with around $3000-5000 and I'm going to use half of that and half of my projected savings from this year to fund my CRX build.
I'm looking at budgeting around $12,000-15000.

Will use this money to do:
- B20VTEC
- ITR GBox
- Lightweight flywheel
- HD clutch
- Coilovers (either BC or S2)
- New tyres (RE001 or T1R)
- New head gasket, timing belt, water pump
- 3-angle grind
- Valves
- Springs
- Retainers
- Shafts
- Gears
- 2.5" full exhaust setup
- New CAI or DIY icebox
- ECU & tune

Do you think that'll be enough $$$?

I'll try to DIY some of it myself (although I'm no mechanical genius) because the CRX is my weekend car and I can just drive my EH Civic to work lol :)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention:
- Retrim leather seats
- Minor body work
- Fix sound system

GSi_PSi
01-02-2010, 12:25 AM
I'm currently using just I/H/E (2.25" RS*R headers and 2" 5Zigen catback).

This year I was planning to save $20,000-26,000 toward a house deposit but I've decided to get this car-thing out of my system before I move out of home and go all independant - I have all my life to grow old and boring!

So I'm planning to get home from Europe with around $3000-5000 and I'm going to use half of that and half of my projected savings from this year to fund my CRX build.
I'm looking at budgeting around $12,000-15000.

Will use this money to do:
- B20VTEC
- ITR GBox
- Lightweight flywheel
- HD clutch
- Coilovers (either BC or S2)
- New tyres (RE001 or T1R)
- New head gasket, timing belt, water pump
- 3-angle grind
- Valves
- Springs
- Retainers
- Shafts
- Gears
- 2.5" full exhaust setup
- New CAI or DIY icebox
- ECU & tune

Do you think that'll be enough $$$?

I'll try to DIY some of it myself (although I'm no mechanical genius) because the CRX is my weekend car and I can just drive my EH Civic to work lol :)

EDIT:
Forgot to mention:
- Retrim leather seats
- Minor body work
- Fix sound system

Yeah man, i remember calculating an all out build, it was around the 8 grand mark. Im pretty sure your budget will be more than enough otherwise you should consider H2B or K series.. Because you already have a B16A it shouldnt cost you too much. It all depends on how far you want to go.

dougie_504
01-02-2010, 02:15 AM
I want to stay B-series and I want to turn it into a street-legal monster with track capabilities :)

hussLEr
01-02-2010, 04:23 PM
What do you mean best 1.6L motor in its day

I'd say its still the best 1.6L motor on the market!
How many cars nowadays with a 1.6L would beat a b16a civic
I left my mates impreza rx for dead and thats a 2L motor and he had full exhaust, i'm running stock b16b headers and standard d series catback

*Pulsar with Sr16

*Toyota Trueno bzr with BT 20v

would definately give the B16 a run for it's money.

JasonGilholme
01-02-2010, 04:29 PM
its funny how people think vtec is meant to feel like a kick in the pants.

Its meant to be a smooth progression from one profile cam to the other. if you think vtec does nothing then pull the plug out and rev out your primary lobe and you'll see how slow your car can really be. :thumbsup:

paps02
02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
if u feel vtec kick go get a tune. get it nice and smooth so ur not losing any power through the rev range. i gained 15kw in the midrange just by bringing vtec forward

jks24
02-02-2010, 01:38 PM
if u feel vtec kick go get a tune. get it nice and smooth so ur not losing any power through the rev range. i gained 15kw in the midrange just by bringing vtec forward

Do u feel it much in the h22a George?

paps02
03-02-2010, 12:53 PM
Do u feel it much in the h22a George?

before tune it use to kick. then like i said after tune it was smoothed out and made more linear.. il pm u graph one day

Riviera
03-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Yea dude i feel the minor pull on a flat run like an onramp... Nudgee on ramp is a good place for a test

B16A with intake, full exhaust

btw nice pb george..

slimx
03-02-2010, 01:56 PM
ive sat in

integra both type r and vti not to bad, but type r u can truly feel it as if its a turbo
civic, not so much
del sol, definately u can feel it
prelude, honestly not so much
s2000, stock ive DRIVEN ONE and i must say it is not fast as they make it out to be but a friend with headers & cams n good tuning u can DEFINATELY FEEL IT

eg5civic
03-02-2010, 02:03 PM
*Pulsar with Sr16

*Toyota Trueno bzr with BT 20v

would definately give the B16 a run for it's money.

lol 20v with itbs.... hmm and would only give it a run

and sr16's arent that fast....

jks24
03-02-2010, 02:55 PM

I'm with ya Dan b16 would be one of the best if not the best na 1.6 on the market

Tegzieboi_BAR
03-02-2010, 02:58 PM
^^^ B16B would surely be the best 1.6L n/a motor to this day. Nothin like the B16A.

I have a JDM B18C-R n theres certainly that extra pull that u dont need the sound to feel. B16A sounds like smurfs under the bonet playing the trumpet but not much of a kick.

isami
03-02-2010, 03:03 PM
My uncle sat in my car the other day.. Hit vtec as I merged into traffic and his words were: "sounds aggressive but doesnt go anywhere huh?"
ahhaa

jks24
03-02-2010, 03:10 PM
My uncle sat in my car the other day.. Hit vtec as I merged into traffic and his words were: "sounds aggressive but doesnt go anywhere huh?"
ahhaa

I don't think it's all that bad. Yeh it's not a massive throw u back in the seat feeling but it's good to have that bit of extra power when needed. I'm more than happy with my b16 and it's only aus spec

JasonGilholme
03-02-2010, 03:13 PM
it also depends on the freshness of your motor. Only being a 1.6, if you lose any sort of combustion chamber seal you're going to be loosing power. You need all the chamber pressure you can get!!

If you're after a real kick in the pants, go turbo. :thumbsup: Just a whole nother world of goodness.

latinstyle69
03-02-2010, 03:47 PM
for a 1.6ltr 4 cyl engine, its actually quite impressive compared to all other 1.6 ltr engines.

but u can never expect too much from a stock motor untill u build it

jks24
03-02-2010, 04:15 PM
for a 1.6ltr 4 cyl engine, its actually quite impressive compared to all other 1.6 ltr engines.

but u can never expect too much from a stock motor untill u build it

Amen you lookn at internal work man?

V73C
03-02-2010, 05:29 PM

So you don't think an SR16ve is compatible with the b16a ?
Im just curious as i use to own a VZR. With just intake i was head to head to an EG with intake,headers zorst. Mind you the pulsar is heavier. No hate on the honda, but i do see the SR16's with an also very high modding capability. At the moment those vtec nissans arent so big here yet, but just as honda started it'll one day have a place to shine.

Limbo
03-02-2010, 05:46 PM
my b16 always had a slight pull & loud noise in vtec, but nothing massive.
When running at the lights u can see it pull past other cars
Also Vtec is supose to have a smooth pull for efficient crossover.

JasonGilholme
03-02-2010, 05:56 PM
Im just curious as i use to own a VZR. With just intake i was head to head to an EG with intake,headers zorst. Mind you the pulsar is heavier. No hate on the honda, but i do see the SR16's with an also very high modding capability. At the moment those vtec nissans arent so big here yet, but just as honda started it'll one day have a place to shine.

i think the sr**ve nissan engines don't have that much modding capability. as in they don't respond well to mods.

I've never seen/modded one though. Just something i remember hearing. You'd think they'd have potential though, like the b16.

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 07:41 PM

Dunno about the SR16 but the SR20 for sure is awesome for mods.

Was the EG you ran against SOHC or DOHC? Coz I've done I/H/E on my EH VTi (D16Y1 SOHC VTEC) and coz its single cam it clearly doesn't produce shit from modding unless you go FI <lol>

B16B = best 1.6L I know of, but it's just a de-stroked B18C anyway so what's the point?

Zilli
03-02-2010, 08:04 PM
sr16ve as i know it was a pretty potent little motor... will definitely be in the same league as the B16a, probably moreso the B16b

V73C
03-02-2010, 08:07 PM
Nope it a B16a. Gonna have to correct you on the best 1.6 engine douge. Its the SR16ve N1 that was made to rival with the B16b. Its the best 1.6 made and still is today. True fact :D

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 08:08 PM
Sounds very interesting. Never been a Nissan fan so I'm gonna do some research now hehe.

Thanks a lot :)

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 08:13 PM
B16B:
136 kW @ 8200 rpm & 118 ft/lbs @ 7500 rpm. Redline 8400 RPM.

SR16VE-N1
147 kW @ 7800 rpm & 134 ft/lbs @ 7600 rpm. Redline 8600 RPM.
Were there only a few hundred of the SR16VE-N1's produced though. Because if that's the case I don't really see it as a competitor as it might not be very accessible compared to the B16B.
Otherwise yes it's a very impressive engine on paper (quick search).

Mullensxxx
03-02-2010, 08:14 PM
Nope it a B16a. Gonna have to correct you on the best 1.6 engine douge. Its the SR16ve N1 that was made to rival with the B16b. Its the best 1.6 made and still is today. True fact :D

too bad the rest of the car was so rushed and heavy that it dusnt even compare to a type R, so really the Vzr's are no comparison to the ek9

still 140ish kw from a 1.6L engine is pretty cool had alot of torque from memory too ;)

kimang
03-02-2010, 08:25 PM
i drive a JDM b16a em1 stock. with CAI and a exhaust. i can kind of feel the kick in it. but it makes more noise than its pulls.

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 08:26 PM
The SR16VE-N1 is an engine especially tuned by an external company is it not? Furthermore I think there were only a few hundred made so it's probably best compared to an engine built by Spoon or similar.

Also, given that the SR16VE-N1 is so rare I would assume that buying and building a B116A or B16B would be just a much or cheaper.

When I consider the quality of an engine I look at cost also, but in that case a SR16VE non-N1 would probably also be great quality.

V73C
04-02-2010, 05:18 PM
Yeah true that.

hussLEr
04-02-2010, 08:16 PM
Wah, didn't think mentioning Sr16 and BT 20v 4AGE would get ppl thinking + researching!..

jks24
04-02-2010, 10:30 PM
also being a p plater vtec is prob the best thing to have with all the power restrictions. Good enough for me atm :)

ninzee
04-02-2010, 10:43 PM
isnt the sr16ve the biggest output 1.6L motor stock?
i dnt mean 2 b a nissan h8r (although i really dnt like SSS) but the sr20ve isnt that gr8 anyway i raced a m8 who has a n14 sr20ve will comp and all he got like 118kw atw and he only got my egb16a with i/h/e by only a bonnet he was spewing lol

Mullensxxx
05-02-2010, 10:31 AM
lol think the neo motor was about the 140ish kw at the fly

migoreng
05-02-2010, 07:27 PM
my tyres aren't that great but even with 50% throttle in the wet i wheel spin all the way to 7k+ rpm once vtec engages
=_=
my current tyres have like 7500km left so i'll get a better tyres later and see what happens.

Mikecivic78
05-02-2010, 08:25 PM
I own an em1, and of course at 6000rpm+ you can hear the engine snarl which I personally enjoy.

My B16a2 had been driven by a middle aged lady most of its life (serviced religiously to boot) who rarely drove in a spirited fashion, so it is in excellent condition and still drives like new. I take care of it fastiduously and the only mod i have is an an Injen CAI.

As far as a 'kick' is concerned, i would more describe it as a building surge of power which u cant feel pre-5500rpm. IMHO the switch over is more apprent than in a DC2, which ive also had experience driving.

Drive it from 6000 until the 8400Rpm cutout, and u'll feel a nice manic surge of acceleration.

Ive driven other guys B16as and some of them are crap because they have been neglected.

Launch it from 4000rpm in first and shift at 8000, then quickly and cleanly put it in second and do the same. I dont know many other NA 1.6s that can pull off excelleration like that. (im talking about ADM cars, not imports.)

eg5civic
05-02-2010, 08:30 PM
well even if the sr16 or sr20 is better (imo they arent, sr's are the glass motor apparently) as said above it was put in a heavy chassis.

Whats the point of a great motor if its put in an average car.

I'll stand by my point and say for its time the b16a was the motor if its time... they were out in EF mind you so they are aging. And as for the B16B well i think for class racing, i think its a better package from factory than the sr16, i mean i've raced a sss and it was slow

jks24
05-02-2010, 09:39 PM
well even if the sr16 or sr20 is better (imo they arent, sr's are the glass motor apparently) as said above it was put in a heavy chassis.

Whats the point of a great motor if its put in an average car.

I'll stand by my point and say for its time the b16a was the motor if its time... they were out in EF mind you so they are aging. And as for the B16B well i think for class racing, i think its a better package from factory than the sr16, i mean i've raced a sss and it was slow

b16b is 131kw atf correct?

Mikecivic78
05-02-2010, 10:31 PM
I'll stand by my point and say for its time the b16a was the motor if its time... they were out in EF mind you so they are aging.

Despite it's age the b16a is a very robust and hard-wearing engine. Its the most underated engine of all time in the motoring community here in OZ.

Talking ADMs, the b16a has been around since about 1993 (since 2nd gen CRX, correct me if i'm wrong).

Median ks on an average b16a is 200,000, and as long as they've been serviced by the book, they should still be going strong.

IMO, they've aged well :honda:

dougie_504
06-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Hey Mike,

Gen2 CRX ceased production in 1991 and the B16A CRXs were never released in Australia. The EF8 (CRX SiR) was imported and are now not importable anymore :(

From 1992 onwards the Gen3 CRX was produced and despite the fact that the chassis is hideous and a terrible update on the Gen2 it did come with the standard B16A2 which made 170BHP.

As for the B16's...most of them have been flogged or are simple just old and in need of a rebuild. The standard B16A from the Gen2 CRX SiR made 158BHP (117.9KW) and made 93KW ATW straight from the factory.

eg5civic
06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
Found an interesting read. http://asia.vtec.net/beystock/honda/civicr/
Shows the differences between the B16a And the B16B

And the b16b was supposed to have made 185ps, which is 182hp, or 136kw at the flywheel

As you said alot of the older b16a's have been flogged, or are just long in the tooth.

GSi_PSi
06-02-2010, 09:23 AM
should put a itr crank in the b16b. instant B18C lol

eg5civic
06-02-2010, 09:47 AM
i know right... i really want to but its healthy atm and i cant justify the money i'd have to pay someone for labour, PLUS i'd need a tuneable ecu as the pistons are different to ITR ones and you run higher compression afaik

edit- plus i'm on p's its so tempting to go for a stroker and b20 it but too much money for an apprentice :( still nice to know the potentials there and i'd never get caught as a p plater :D

Mikecivic78
06-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Hey Mike,

Gen2 CRX ceased production in 1991 and the B16A CRXs were never released in Australia. The EF8 (CRX SiR) was imported and are now not importable anymore :(

From 1992 onwards the Gen3 CRX was produced and despite the fact that the chassis is hideous and a terrible update on the Gen2 it did come with the standard B16A2 which made 170BHP.

As for the B16's...most of them have been flogged or are simple just old and in need of a rebuild. The standard B16A from the Gen2 CRX SiR made 158BHP (117.9KW) and made 93KW ATW straight from the factory.

My mistake, it was the 3rd gen, not the second. I'm not much of a CRX man :confused:. Still, I do like the shape of the gen 3 CRX/delsol. IMO its a nice looker. Pity about the chassis, ive heard its especially bad when the targa top is off.

But i must say that B16as can take a good flogging, as long as they are serviced regularly (like, every 5000km). Also depends on what you class as flogging. I'm guessing u mean heavy track duties. That'll make an engine wear out quick.

dougie_504
06-02-2010, 06:49 PM
One thing I hate is seeing a cold engine get flogged, or just any car getting flogged ona wet road so they get massive tyre-spin...sigh...

migoreng
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
One thing I hate is seeing a cold engine get flogged, or just any car getting flogged ona wet road so they get massive tyre-spin...sigh...

it worries me when i see threads and people ask 'is your engine warm?'
are there people out there that have no clue about warming up an engine?

also i see video clips of people revving and condensation/steam comes out of the exhaust...
at least drive the car around then come home and film the exhaust...

d15z1SUX
06-02-2010, 10:38 PM
i can feel my b16a vtec "kick" in...

kraiye
06-02-2010, 11:11 PM
i love how people talk about b16 vtec "kick". it's a 1.6L... srsly how much extra torque do you really expect to feel?!! lol
if u wanna feel it, do your cams or sit in the passenger seat as long as you have good I/H/E.

the VTEC lets you rev longer. the car next to you (soon to be behind you :p) is reaching for gears when you're just hitting the "ok let's go" part of the rev range.

d15z1SUX
07-02-2010, 02:09 AM
i love how people talk about b16 vtec "kick". it's a 1.6L... srsly how much extra torque do you really expect to feel?!! lol
if u wanna feel it, do your cams or sit in the passenger seat as long as you have good I/H/E.

the VTEC lets you rev longer. the car next to you (soon to be behind you :p) is reaching for gears when you're just hitting the "ok let's go" part of the rev range.

:thumbsup:

dougie_504
07-02-2010, 05:15 AM

I also would like to :thumbsup:

GSi_PSi
07-02-2010, 01:32 PM
we all know hondas are shit for torque unless modded . If you want a car that kicks you back in your seat buy a rwd turbo or 4wd turbo. Even my b20 feels pretty torquey, but after going in a drive in my uncles 12 sec WRX , it feels babyish. So in the end if you have a 14 sec turbo rwd/4wd car and a 14 sec na fwd car, which one will feel faster?

dougie_504
08-02-2010, 03:05 AM
Personally I think RWD cars feel faster because they push you from behind and you can really feel it in your navel, whereas the FWD I think pushes/pulls the driver's body differently so that you don't feel like you're going as fast.

Know what I mean?

My GF paid for me to do the V8 Supercar experience at Calder where you get to drive a 400bhp Monaro for 8 laps around the circuit, fully stripped car, racing slicks and sussy etc. You hit over 200 km/h no problem on the straight and I've been in a turbo FWD as well - very different feeling.

V73C
08-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Personally I think RWD cars feel faster because they push you from behind and you can really feel it in your navel, whereas the FWD I think pushes/pulls the driver's body differently so that you don't feel like you're going as fast.

Know what I mean?

My GF paid for me to do the V8 Supercar experience at Calder where you get to drive a 400bhp Monaro for 8 laps around the circuit, fully stripped car, racing slicks and sussy etc. You hit over 200 km/h no problem on the straight and I've been in a turbo FWD as well - very different feeling.

Gonna have to agree, RWD does eel faster due to the pushing aspect

tOniies
08-02-2010, 05:39 PM
I have people in my b18cr, and they always go "BRO I CAN FEEL THE VTEC MAN". So I guess some engines kick in harder then others. LOL

6thgear
08-02-2010, 06:14 PM
I have people in my b18cr, and they always go "BRO I CAN FEEL THE VTEC MAN". So I guess some engines kick in harder then others. LOL

hahaha i always find that funny.

get them to scream out "vteeeeeccccccccccccccccc"

tOniies
08-02-2010, 07:21 PM
hahaha i always find that funny.

get them to scream out "vteeeeeccccccccccccccccc"
haha. Everybody loves the VTEC, even if you don't feel it, it still a passenger attraction. As long as your cars got a VTEC, and you love the n/a feel, then you're set.
P.S: I don't think drivers feel it as much as passengers, probably cause you're holding on tight so you don't lose it.

CB7_OWNER
08-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I was goner try and close this thread lol.. but i cant find the close button -_-

Thanks Mods

civic_jet
17-02-2010, 04:54 PM
all this VTECH bullshit i just want to get in mine and see how it goes hahaha

Zilli
17-02-2010, 05:57 PM
as requested, and because it's completely off topic now