PDA

View Full Version : Some pods I made back in the day

Oscar of Markoz
30-01-2010, 02:54 PM
Just thought I'd show some pods I made for a mate of mine back when I used to do custom car audio installs from home.

xntrik
30-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Looks the goods.

HotKgon
30-01-2010, 05:30 PM
Just thought I'd show some pods I made for a mate of mine back when I used to do custom car audio installs from home.

Nice. How do you go about making your own pod? Do you need alot of equipment?

beeza
30-01-2010, 06:19 PM
'Pod',just the 1 :)

Looks good!

2MPRS
30-01-2010, 06:35 PM
how much does something like that cost?

Oscar of Markoz
30-01-2010, 07:39 PM
xntrik, thanks mate
HotKgon, you do need a fair amount of tools and materials. Its something that if you haven't got tools, isn't worth going out and buying the tools to make just pods. Since I do installs and stuff I have acquired all the tools over time. For instance, just in materials there's MDF, screws, speaker cloth, wood glue, Fibreglass Matting and Resin, Bog, primer and paint.
beeza, it was 2 actually but that looked the same either side, haha.
2MPRS, I usually charge around $250 for a pair of those pods.

If you guys are interested I could show you some of my other installs.

2MPRS
30-01-2010, 11:12 PM
just a quick question can u make tweeter pods to go where that little triangle thing is near the mirror

Oscar of Markoz
31-01-2010, 07:29 AM
2MPRS, sure can mate. Although its not the best location for tweeters to be so much closer than the woofers. You will find that you'll get better sound with the tweeters actually further away than the woofer. High frequencies travel faster.

beeza
31-01-2010, 11:39 AM
U know what is needed here is a DIY on Making your own speaker pods.

Now,that would ROCK! :)

2MPRS
31-01-2010, 12:04 PM
^^^^ agreed beeza and thanks for the info oscar

Oscar of Markoz
31-01-2010, 12:37 PM
I've made a tutorial on pods before for another forum. I'll try to track down the pictures though as thats probably the hardest thing for me to find, due to it being 8 years ago

euro_tr4sh
31-01-2010, 01:05 PM
2MPRS, sure can mate. Although its not the best location for tweeters to be so much closer than the woofers. You will find that you'll get better sound with the tweeters actually further away than the woofer. High frequencies travel faster.

not really, putting them lower down can create a much deeper sound stage and make the image more central due to the path lengths being more similar, that and it also creates a point source...

and before i even post this im going to edit it cos i read your post wrong, my apologies

beeza
31-01-2010, 01:13 PM
I've made a tutorial on pods before for another forum. I'll try to track down the pictures though as thats probably the hardest thing for me to find, due to it being 8 years ago

O good!,this will give ya a DIY to do :p

beeza
07-02-2010, 09:23 PM
http://autospeed.com.au/cms/A_111349/article.html

ccmengs
07-02-2010, 11:40 PM
shouldnt you put the tweeters on top so that it faces you, higher frequencies don't refract as well as lower frequencies that is why the subwoofer can pretty much be placed anywhere within your car :)

Oscar of Markoz
08-02-2010, 07:46 AM
The spread of the sound from a tweeter is very minimal. So they should be pointing towards a point that you choose. Whether it be your head or the centre of the car. I tend to aim both the tweeter and woofer just ever so slightly more towards the drivers areas. So my RHS pod will have 10mm more angle than the LHS one.
Put they don't need to be higher than the woofer, as the higher frequencies it produces travel faster than those produces by the woofer.
Ambient tweeters on the otherhand sound really nice in higher locations.