PDA

View Full Version : 91 RON used on Euro - please help!!

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 07:16 PM
I accidentally filled up about 17 litres of BP 91 RON on my 2008 Euro just then.

I have ALWAYS used BP Ultimate 98 fuel since the day I got the car.

- Is this a major problem? Will this do any damage to the engine or the car?

- Is there anything else I can do now to improve things?

I read the drivers manual as soon as I got home and it does state clearly that for Australian model Euros, to use premium unleaded petrol with RON of 95 or higher.

It also says, "Use of a lower octane petrol can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage"

Now I am really worried as I'm scared I might have done damage to the engine.

Please help or if anyone can shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 07:18 PM
I just recently serviced the car last week and the car has only done 13,000 km.

The fuel tank is about 45% full (even though I only filled up 17 ltrs), should I wait til I use up all the fuel and then re-fill with BP Ultimate 98, or should I fill up the tank NOW with Ultimate 98??

I'm not sure if diluting the 91 RON with Ultimate 98 will improve the situation or make it worse.

euro_tr4sh
30-01-2010, 07:27 PM
hahaha, gold.... your cars gonna be fine dude, just carry on as usual, next time your car needs fuel, put premium in like you normally do, nothing is going to happen to your car

beeza
30-01-2010, 07:27 PM
lol

It's all good mate!!

Just run it as low as possible then refill with 98.

Other's should be able to offer more info but don't worry it will be fine!

MRK20CRX
30-01-2010, 07:32 PM
Nothing to worry about man, first day I got my crx I did the same, I've done 40k kms since I got it and it hasn't missed a beat. Your ecu won't know the change in fuel until u fill it up 3 times

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 07:41 PM
Thanks heaps for the quick replies guys!!

Definitely feel less worried now....I was freaking out big time before as I thought 91 RON on the Euro was a No-No! It even says it on the fuel tank door.

Silly mistake and my fault really, the BP I went to had the 91-95-Ult 98 the wrong order to all other BP stations...I didn't realise until I filled up $20....

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 07:42 PM
Nothing to worry about man, first day I got my crx I did the same, I've done 40k kms since I got it and it hasn't missed a beat. Your ecu won't know the change in fuel until u fill it up 3 times

Thanks mate, what does it mean by the ECU? Luckily I didn't even fill up a full tank so I'll definitely triple-check that its Ultimate 98 before filling in the future.

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 07:44 PM
Almost forgot, does that mean the passage I quoted from the drivers manual

"Use of a lower octane petrol can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage"

only applies if you use 91 RON fuel long term?

Cheers

felixd
30-01-2010, 07:50 PM
using ron91 on your euro will make u to have your car service more often :)

flipfire
30-01-2010, 07:50 PM
Just dont gun it, engine might start pinging.

beeza
30-01-2010, 08:15 PM
Thanks mate, what does it mean by the ECU? Luckily I didn't even fill up a full tank so I'll definitely triple-check that its Ultimate 98 before filling in the future.

The ECU = The computer.

It's a 'learning computer'.

aaronng
30-01-2010, 08:43 PM
Almost forgot, does that mean the passage I quoted from the drivers manual

"Use of a lower octane petrol can cause a persistent, heavy metallic rapping noise in the engine that can lead to mechanical damage"

only applies if you use 91 RON fuel long term?

Cheers

If you fill an EMPTY tank with 91RON, then you will get that. If you filled a 1/2 or 3/4 full tank of BP Ultimate with 17L of 91RON to top up, your car will be safe.

aaronng
30-01-2010, 08:44 PM

That's the problem. The ECU runs thinking it has 98RON in there but the tank actually contains 91RON. Hence you get pinging, because the ECU is not compensating by injecting more fuel and running rich to protect the engine.

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 08:51 PM
If you fill an EMPTY tank with 91RON, then you will get that. If you filled a 1/2 or 3/4 full tank of BP Ultimate with 17L of 91RON to top up, your car will be safe.

Thanks aaronng, what do you recommended I do in my situation?

I filled a near-empty (the low fuel light just came on, with approx 90km left on the ECU) with 17L of 91.......should I now fill up the tank with BP Ultimate?

I have only driven about 25km since filling with 91 RON a few hours ago.

If filling the remainder of the tank with Ultimate helps, I'll do that right now.

Thanks

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 08:53 PM
That's the problem. The ECU runs thinking it has 98RON in there but the tank actually contains 91RON. Hence you get pinging, because the ECU is not compensating by injecting more fuel and running rich to protect the engine.

What is pinging? Is that really bad for the engine?

Have I already f*$ked up the Euro's engine or is it not too late to fix the problem?

It will take me another week or two to use up the 17L before I get an empty tank to fill up with BP Ultimate.

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Been doing some research online and found this extract from a review online.

"The minimum fuel octane is 95 RON; we inadvertently added some 91 RON fuel to one of the cars and the engine could be heard detonating, especially at low revs in tall gears when using small throttle openings. (The other car detonated on the fuel provided in the car by Honda - and then also on the 95 RON we added!)"

Not sure what it means by detonating - does this mean the car struggled and the engine was struggling when filled up with 91 RON?

Source: http://www.autoweb.com.au/cms/A_110863/title_Honda-Accord-Euro/article.html

10KRPM
30-01-2010, 09:13 PM
Mate sounds like your having a major stress session.

If the cars were that fragile.......not only honda but every other car company would of gone bankrupt with warranty claims.

Your car will be fine. I have done as you have done but was due to being at a place where only unleaded was available. Did the safe thing and just drove it with light throttle and no WOT (wide open throttle).

Just fill up the tank with bp ultimate to full and it will be fine. Alternatively, drive until empty and fill up then. Its all good.

Detonating is when the fuel prematurely ignites in the combustion cycle. Causes uncontrolled ignition which can damage the engine if it constantly continues. So what this means for you is:

Dont redline the engine
Dont drive up hills or roads in too high a gear, that causes too high a load on the engine (has to do too much work)

beeza
30-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Mate sounds like your having a major stress session.

haha,yeah man,Chillax a lil'

Tis all good! :cool:

tony1234
30-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Thanks aaronng, what do you recommended I do in my situation?

I filled a near-empty (the low fuel light just came on, with approx 90km left on the ECU) with 17L of 91.......should I now fill up the tank with BP Ultimate?

I have only driven about 25km since filling with 91 RON a few hours ago.

If filling the remainder of the tank with Ultimate helps, I'll do that right now.

Thanks
For peace of mind just fill up with Ultimate 98 and you'll be fine.

2008 Accord Euro
30-01-2010, 09:45 PM
Sorry guys for causing undue stress to you all. Its just that I've looked after the car really well from day one (apart from the car washing/cleaning) and I was absolutely disgusted at myself when I made that mistake.

Just went to the local BP and filled up another 39Ltrs of BP Ultimate (full tank) so hopefully the initial 17Ltrs of 91 RON from a few hours earlier didn't cause toooo much damage to the engine.

Also, my concern is that any damage done to the car's engine could mean $ thousands in repair costs....

10KRPM
30-01-2010, 10:02 PM
17 liters is only what? 150km of city driving? even less if you drive it in peak hour.

No it will be fine. Now if you had put diesel ....whole different story.....

iLlusion10
30-01-2010, 11:04 PM
Sorry guys for causing undue stress to you all. Its just that I've looked after the car really well from day one (apart from the car washing/cleaning) and I was absolutely disgusted at myself when I made that mistake.

Just went to the local BP and filled up another 39Ltrs of BP Ultimate (full tank) so hopefully the initial 17Ltrs of 91 RON from a few hours earlier didn't cause toooo much damage to the engine.

Also, my concern is that any damage done to the car's engine could mean $ thousands in repair costs....

Don't stress it'll be fine, the engine isn't going to instantly explode, if your really paranoid just buy octane booster ..

felixd
30-01-2010, 11:41 PM
Look i used to Run on ron 91 unleaded for the first 25000kms still no issue :D n i start to use ron 95 premium since i found out thats the minimum lULZ :D

aaronng
31-01-2010, 12:40 AM
What is pinging? Is that really bad for the engine?

Have I already f*$ked up the Euro's engine or is it not too late to fix the problem?

It will take me another week or two to use up the 17L before I get an empty tank to fill up with BP Ultimate.

You don't have to wait. Since you have added Ultimate to the 17L of 91 RON, the mixture should be above 95RON and will be alright. You do not need to wait til it is empty to fill. I always fill up to full tank so that the sediment from the fuel does not clog up my fuel filter.

aaronng
31-01-2010, 12:43 AM
Don't stress it'll be fine, the engine isn't going to instantly explode, if your really paranoid just buy octane booster ..

Octane booster can cause deposits in the combustion chamber and wear your valve seals. It can easily cause more damage than compared to just topping up with 98 RON. :)

aaronng
31-01-2010, 12:44 AM

Don't worry, your engine won't be damaged by that short 25 km of normal driving. The engine has a knock sensor to help prevent serious damage by listening for the pinging. Of course, there is a limit to how far the knock sensor can detect and prevent damage, but unless you didn't try to do any crazy RPMs with 91RON, your engine wouldn't have had any damage to it.

euro_tr4sh
31-01-2010, 12:55 AM
i cant beleive this got to 3 pages, NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOUR CAR, i swear by baby jesus if anything happens to your car cos you put 91 ron fuel in it i will personally buy you a new one, top of the range too, just drive your car and when you need more fuel, put in 98... simple as that, its like saying "oh no, i drank tap water instead of mineral water, am i going to die?" putting 91ron in your car is the biggest non event ever, you cause your car more harm from sitting in it and touching things

ps- NOTHING IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO YOUR CAR BECAUSE YOU PUT 91ron FUEL IN IT! SAVVY?

felixd
31-01-2010, 01:52 AM
close the thread :D

tony1234
31-01-2010, 08:08 AM
Just fill it up with 98 and don't put octane booster in and you'll be fine.

beeza
31-01-2010, 10:56 AM
The bloody owners manual puts all sorts of warnings in thier to scare ya into doing something 1 way.

Spend some time on the net all learn the real knowledge.

beeza
31-01-2010, 10:59 AM
I use 91,95 or 98 whatever.Usually 91 cause I'm a poor mofo :)

furythree
31-01-2010, 11:05 AM
lol if u were a cheapass can u half fill it with 91 and rest 98 ron to dilute it to become 94 ron? XD

actually i think u need to do some chemical stuff to change octane dont you.

dont u guys hate how our fuel meter is so optimistic. stays at the full mark until 70% left.

beeza
31-01-2010, 11:07 AM
I wouldn't mix the fuels lol

Yeah ya get to know ya fuel guage and how it works,STUPID thing! :)

souperman
31-01-2010, 11:07 AM
just syphon it back out if you're that paranoid. or there is a plug in the fuel tank to drain it...

but agreeing with everyone else. it will be OK

eg_08_wa
31-01-2010, 12:46 PM
here's a thought for the op.
alot of people ask for their cars to be filled upon pickup of their car for the very first time from the dealership. Now, despite what it says on the car, do you really think the dealership will fill up 95ron?? ofcourse not. they fill it up with what ever is cheapest, which is 91ron.
so like others have said, take a chill pill, relax your car is fine.

beeza
31-01-2010, 01:30 PM
^^ Do/did U work at a dealership?

I guess some do,some don't..

eg_08_wa
31-01-2010, 10:27 PM
some do some dont. most dealerships dont have their own pump, and even then at petrol stations i've seen "wrong" fuel being used. ie premium on evo x's when 98 is available. so yeah.

i work near a petrol station with alot of dealerships using it.

by-life
01-02-2010, 11:29 AM
I had the same issue before and got some useful response, it is very help.

Please read http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115196&page=3

d_evilz
04-02-2010, 09:10 AM
just a noob Question, is 95 RON and 95 Octane the same thing? cos im going broke just using Vpower every week lol

flipfire
04-02-2010, 09:19 AM
yes

RON = Research Octane Number

nickxau
04-02-2010, 10:07 AM
... they fill it up with what ever is cheapest, which is 91ron.

Wrong! E10! hahaha...

Damn I hate myself for rorting the dealer to fill up my tank upon delivery... u should see where they fill up!? :eek:

aaronng
04-02-2010, 10:15 AM
When I got my car delivered in 2004, I got the dealer to put on the contract "Full tank of premium petrol". They had a petrol pump onsite, and it had both 91 and 95 RON.

nickxau
04-02-2010, 04:16 PM
... but did you actually SEE them filling up with the good stuff? THAT is the question... :p

aaronng
04-02-2010, 06:15 PM
... but did you actually SEE them filling up with the good stuff? THAT is the question... :p

If it is available on the spot and they promised me to fill it up with premium, then it should have done. When you become paranoid of everything and think that everyone is lying to you (and many are), then there is a problem with society.

95 RON is not good stuff. It's crap. My car takes 98 RON. No difference in power or mileage, but the engine runs smoother.

eg_08_wa
04-02-2010, 09:14 PM
when i first for my car, (second hand with 97,000kms on it full service history, and 95ron used)i started filling up bp ultimate 98. i was averaging 580kms. 2-3months down the track i realised i was getting 650 constantly. same driving style, same distances each week.
now that im doing hwy kms now, i get 700kms. all from 98.

Phased
05-02-2010, 01:35 AM
If you're really worried; add a good Octane Booster and then fill to the brim with BP 95 Octane. Euro's have sensors coming out the rear end... the worst thing the car may knock/ping in which it will let you know via the CEL... and then go into "Safe Mode" and run the car rich until the pinging stops... When you fill back up with 98... Reset the ECU.

If it is available on the spot and they promised me to fill it up with premium, then it should have done. When you become paranoid of everything and think that everyone is lying to you (and many are), then there is a problem with society.

95 RON is not good stuff. It's crap. My car takes 98 RON. No difference in power or mileage, but the engine runs smoother.

Without sounding cynical (fairly difficult), if you don't already know this and are over the age of 18... then you're in denial. There are very few honest, decent, "selfless" human beings out there.

tony1234
05-02-2010, 06:13 AM
98 is supposed to have more detergents (than 95)added to clean your engine combustion chamber,valves etc.

aaronng
05-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Without sounding cynical (fairly difficult), if you don't already know this and are over the age of 18... then you're in denial. There are very few honest, decent, "selfless" human beings out there.

There is nothing about being "selfless" in this case. The contract states premium and you should be given premium. It would be like me buying an item from a trader here and then losing sleep each night being worried on whether the trader would give me the real item that I purchased or pull a switcharoo on me with a cheap replica. It's like someone going to Coles to buy red apples and after paying for it start to worry at the cashier about whether they are real red apples or just green apples painted red. The reason why we buy from a dealer/retailer/trader/supermarket instead of from the back of a white van/private sale/truck carrying fruits is because of the added security that we will get what we paid for.

There is a limit to how far someone should worry about this and if the dealer is going to pull shit like this even when it is stated that premium is to be used on the contract, then that dealer is not worth dealing with because they are willing to have themselves at the risk of being sued if the car is damaged by running regular petrol just to save $3 over a full tank.

flipfire
05-02-2010, 08:26 AM
http://www.motivationalbuck.com/pix/Low_373fbf20ef0e4db.jpg

^__^ SM ^__^
03-03-2010, 08:18 PM
My car is an active experiment. I'm a cheapass and have been running 91 RON petrol for 5000km now. No issues. Actually noticed more torque at lower rpm which helps city driving. 98 RON is lifeless at low rpm I found. Same mileage.

yfin
03-03-2010, 08:57 PM
My car is an active experiment. I'm a cheapass and have been running 91 RON petrol for 5000km now. No issues. Actually noticed more torque at lower rpm which helps city driving. 98 RON is lifeless at low rpm I found. Same mileage.

You are a genius - just found a way to save a few bucks per week. I bet your car is pinging all the time and you don't even realise it. How much does a replacement K24A3 cost these days?

beeza
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
I've been using 91 on my d16y4 for a few months now,no probs at all.Car goes hard.

aaronng
04-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I've been using 91 on my d16y4 for a few months now,no probs at all.Car goes hard.

Not relevant to this thread. The Accord Euro's engine is specified for a minimum of 95RON, not 91RON like your engine.

beeza
04-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Oops,cheers Aaron!

blueblood
24-08-2010, 03:57 AM
this thread was really usefull to me because i have been using 91octane like an idiot..so I might just fill it up with 98 octane tomorrow although there is like half a tank of 91 left

MiSloVic
24-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Half a tank of 91ron and half a tank of 98ron... Does that make it about 95ron?

SPQR
24-08-2010, 07:29 AM
We see 91 RON as 'lower grade' but the only thing low about it is the octane number and the marketing. I have never used it.

aaronng
24-08-2010, 07:52 AM
Half a tank of 91ron and half a tank of 98ron... Does that make it about 95ron?

Roughtly there. Probably about 94 RON but that's better than straight 91 RON in the Euro.