PDA

View Full Version : weird noise on 1st gear

ekvtir90
31-01-2010, 02:15 AM
Lately i've been experiencing this noise the only way i can describe the noise is as the screaching of worn out brakes in a car, that noise is made from when I'm on stand still and i clutch in and friction point to get the car starting to move.

Could there be something wrong with my clutch maybe needs oiling? or is it wearing out? the screaching happens more often when i try to do a quick take off or if i leave the clutch on friction point too long when i've given it gas already. help would be great thank you.

xtan
31-01-2010, 05:18 AM
First of all, do you have stock clutch and flywheel?

ekvtir90
31-01-2010, 10:59 AM
Yes from what i know everythings stock, i bought the car its second hand.

ekvtir90
01-02-2010, 08:11 AM
bump! didn't get a reply anyone have any idea?

VTec1987
01-02-2010, 08:38 AM
can u hear the noise while driving first gear, then goes away when ur car is moving?

lil_foy
01-02-2010, 08:44 AM
When was your last clutch change?
Have you experienced a slipping clutch at all?
You may have worn down to the rivets on the clutch pad.

ekvtir90
01-02-2010, 09:22 AM
VTec1987: Yes it does a screaching noise when taking off then goes away as soon as i get the car going and let go of the clutch.

lil_foy: Don't think its ever been changed. no slipping seems to run okay just the sound is worrying.

VTec1987
01-02-2010, 09:41 AM
Sounds like input shaft bearing

lil_foy
01-02-2010, 10:15 AM
How many kms?

ekvtir90
01-02-2010, 10:20 AM
about 126k kms

ekvtir90
01-02-2010, 10:40 AM
When was your last clutch change?
Have you experienced a slipping clutch at all?
You may have worn down to the rivets on the clutch pad.

If so how much does it cost to get the clutch pad changed? should i drive anymore or will it cause more damage? When i do really slow take offs it doesn't seem to make a noise so i dont know :confused:

aaronng
01-02-2010, 10:48 AM
It is not the clutch disc or flywheel. It is the throwout bearing (also known as the clutch release bearing). The screeching will be worse if you were taking off from a standstill on an incline.

Downside of replacing it is the labour will be similar to that of actually replacing the clutch and flywheel! So maybe consider doing all 3 parts together to save on labour.

ekvtir90
01-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Thank you aaronng just another question if i wasn't to get that replaced and kept driving what would happen? and if i did get the release bearing replaced how much would it set me back?

aaronng
01-02-2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you aaronng just another question if i wasn't to get that replaced and kept driving what would happen? and if i did get the release bearing replaced how much would it set me back?

I can't tell you how long that bearing will last. In some cases, it can last for a few months, and in other cases the bearing can fail and sieze the next day. It is not something that anyone can tell you because the bearing has already worn out and is making noises. So you should get it changed as soon as you are able to.

The part is cheap. It should be less than $80 for even an OEM one from Honda. The labour is the killer as you will need to drop the gearbox out (or at least swing it aside) to be able to access the bearing. If your clutch has been in the car for as long as you have owned it, you might as well replace that at the same time to save you having to pay twice the labour when the clutch wears out.

aaronng
01-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Sounds like input shaft bearing

Input shaft bearing makes a sound when your foot is off the clutch and goes away when you hold the clutch pedal down.

ekvtir90
01-02-2010, 12:21 PM
What could possibly happen if the bearing was to seize and stop working while I'm driving for instance? would i need to tow the car away. *paranoid*

aaronng
01-02-2010, 12:56 PM
What could possibly happen if the bearing was to seize and stop working while I'm driving for instance? would i need to tow the car away. *paranoid*

If the bearing siezed, you'd end up either burning a ring on the input shaft or the whole bearing being forced to spin, tearing the release fork with it.

Or the bearing would just tear into tiny bits and you'd be stick there without a way to clutch in.

Yes, you would need to tow the car.

ivtecep3
02-02-2010, 08:02 AM
is this ur project car or dd? if ur looking to replace the clutch flywheel n the bearing, i see that your from melb....try going to ak motorworks, they do some really nice work their ^^ speak to andii or jon, they'll look after you =] they can recommended some really nice set ups for tracking n all =] happy days~!