PDA

View Full Version : help with first car

Prince_James
31-01-2010, 03:59 PM
hey guys/ girls
i am new to the forums and im soon to be in the market for a first car, preferably honda civic
i am looking to spend less than 10k ( but i also want to put a decent sound system and rims and tyres under that budget)
so pretty much i looking for a car around the 7.5 k mark
i really want to buy a ek4 hatchback peferably vti-r
dont really wanna touch cxi or gli for the fact that i really like the vtec engine.
so if anyone can gimme some ideas on what car i should buy to stay under that budget that would be much apreciated.

ps: car is going to be used for daily but having fun as a daily :D
and also should i stay away from civics with near or surpassed the 200,000 km mark?
cheers James

ekcoupe
31-01-2010, 04:02 PM
hard to get a vtir civic for 7.5k.

maybe try and find a integra vtir with that stuff already done for 10k.
also try and get low ks if spending that much
good luck:D

Prince_James
31-01-2010, 04:12 PM
the thing is i am on my red p plates right now and like i am most likely to buy a car in about 5 months time or longer, i just wanna see what i can get in order to have ideas in what i am going to do with the car and about how much i am gonna have left to spend on it and stuff, if not the vti-r then what about the other models in the ek range?
with some decent performance and handling?
and oh just for reference by how much do civics depreciate every year?
thanks

ekcoupe
31-01-2010, 04:30 PM
have a look on carpoint.com.au

ej8 civic coupe thats about 8k, plus its got sohc vtec but not as powerful as the dohc vtec and the coupe has good handling even when stock.

take a look at this if u havent already Civic Guide (http://ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=72623)

Prince_James
31-01-2010, 04:44 PM
thanks for that
ill look into it
the cars that i am considering are
teg vti-r, ek4 vti-r, em1 and ur recomendation of the ej8 coupe
btw is the ej8 coupe a civic vti ?
cheers

V73C
31-01-2010, 04:50 PM
Yep EJ8 is vti single cam vtec.

ekcoupe
31-01-2010, 04:55 PM
ive got an ej6 its the same as a ej8 but non vtec. very nice cars great handling aswell

if u are thinking of geting a em1 gonna need to spend abit extra then 10k

u mad?
31-01-2010, 05:00 PM
b16 eg

Prince_James
31-01-2010, 10:18 PM
there are a couple of em1s and ek4 vtirs available for under 10 k on carsales and some do have pretty low kms should i stay away from these as they might have issues thats why they are priced low? but there is quite a few nice teg vtirs to chose from under 10k however sum are modded and im not sure if i can drive it on P plates .
i do like the shape of the teg and do like the car however sumthing about hatchback ek4s attract me personal preference so what do u guys reconmend go for one of those ek4s under 10 k or a teg under 10 k ?
suggestions are welcome
and one more question when i do purchase "the car" will i be able to install an exhaust to better enjoy the lovely sound of the vtec or will i get screwed over by cops everytime i drive it since im on P plates and live in nsw?
thanks in advance
james

euro_tr4sh
01-02-2010, 12:39 AM
and one more question when i do purchase "the car" will i be able to install an exhaust to better enjoy the lovely sound of the vtec or will i get screwed over by cops everytime i drive it since im on P plates and live in nsw?
thanks in advance
james

how long is a peice of string?

ekcoupe
01-02-2010, 06:32 AM
well u should be fine with the cops as long as u follow the rules

sangyz
01-02-2010, 07:10 AM
theres an ek4 vti-r green selling on firesport 7.5k

Prince_James
01-02-2010, 09:49 AM
isnt it that you cannot have anything that requires a engineering certificate or is it no performance modifications what so ever? so isnt an exhaust a performance mod?
but i really like the sound of the spoon N1 but that is seriously loud. what do you guys recommend ? and on a decent budget but produces a good sound and most important of all wont cause too much stir with the cops and stuff .
thanks
james

mnc
01-02-2010, 10:42 AM
Stay away from huge shiny cannon exhaust with like 4'' tips? Stick with whatever exhaust is on the car for now and save up for something good. Not only will it be good in performance and your preference of design/sound, It will also keep its value when you sell it later on.

For example if you go custom exhaust, It's harder to sell it later on unless you sacrifice the value of the exhaust by a large amount of what you paid for it.

Prince_James
01-02-2010, 08:08 PM
what are the differences between a ej8 and em1 besides the fact that one is a sohc vtec and the other is a dohc? and how much would they put out atw? and why is a em1 more expensive ?
sorry if i have been a hassle but i just want to find out as much as i can so in the end i can make the right choice and get my first car/ honda
cheers guys
oh btw does it matter if the kms are high like for example above 150,000 or 200,000 even is it worth buying if it has over 200,000?

ekcoupe
01-02-2010, 08:11 PM
em1 has got 118kw an the ej8 got 93kw
the exterior and interior is pretty much the same.

they are both nice cars.

jks24
02-02-2010, 01:24 PM
thanks in advance
james
lol@this
If you drive like a dick mate you will be more likely to ge pulled over. Ie redlinnig it from everyset of traffic lights. Yes the cops do like to pull over cars that look or sound modified, you can help yourself tho by knowing when and where to be sensible.

To get a good ek4 you are goin to need more than what you have budgeted for, you will find tho
that the majority of them are gettn high km's now because of their age. Look for good service
history and get inspections done.

It might sound biased because I own one but go for the vtir coupe mate (em1) they are rare and so much nicer then a hatchback

jks24
02-02-2010, 01:26 PM
em1 has got 118kw an the ej8 got 93kw
the exterior and interior is pretty much the same.

they are both nice cars.

Em1 <3 :p

JohnO
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
get a well maintained eg pherhaps and throw in a b16a for your budget who knows you might have some money left over for sound or whatever you fancy. em1's are hot! you could save up abit more for the 5months and get an em which is worth it in terms of looks and performance. dc2r is almost around an em nowadays maybe cheaper right? depends what you want and like, so many options bb6,eg,ek,em!

Prince_James
02-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the tips guys. And jks24 i know what u mean by cops will pull yu over if u drive like a dick. I just want to have a nice daily driver and a couple of vtec hits everynow and then. I am pretty much settling for either the ej8 or thr em1. Not so much the teg as the insurance is about 1 k more than the others. The eg with engine conversion is out of the picture as it isnt permitted for p platers in nsw. However my only cincern is that i might regret getting the ej8 instead of em1 ...

JohnO
02-02-2010, 10:17 PM
actually james about the engine conversion on the eg its permitted cause your swapping out a 1.6l for the b16a which is still a 1.6l so its fine and i think there was no required engineers cert for this.

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi_06_-_guidelines_for_light_vehicle_modifications_nov_20 07.pdf

insure it with ctp instead ? be way cheaper than comprehensive

Prince_James
02-02-2010, 10:19 PM
Didnt know about that thanks for the tip. What would it cost me to get that all done including the price of the car ? And how much would a clean ej8 or em1 cost. How much more do i need to increase my budget ? I might got up to 12k buh like i still wamt some spare cash for sound system and rims and tyres and other bits and pieces

JohnO
02-02-2010, 10:25 PM
mmm have a look on carsales theres plenty of cheap eg's or maybe look into gettting one thats already had the b16 dropped in. but imsure it will fit your budget give or take.

em1 well maintained ones your looking at 13s +

Prince_James
02-02-2010, 10:34 PM
Cool thanks for that mate ill be sure to have a look. And how much do civics depreciate each year ? And if anyone has anymore tips or suggestions they wluld be greatly apreciated
cheers

jks24
03-02-2010, 12:08 AM
still stand by em1. They look hot (especially in red :p) they go damm hard for a 1.6l n/a and there is heaps of potential in them :) But as said man you will need to save for a bit more to get a em1 in good condition. There isnt all that many for sale atm and they are starting to get in the high km's as well.

Trust me mate its a good feeling to be driving around something everyday that isnt common.

act_gooner
03-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Why don't you just buy one stock and add on the parts that you want later?

Prince_James
03-02-2010, 10:20 PM
I would but there isnt really an abundant amount for sale right now and i have to stay in my already raised budget from 10 k to 15 k

derby23
07-02-2010, 11:59 AM
honda cars depreciate in favour of the owner, that is if you maintain the car regularly with records, body is in good condition and interior is clean, low kms. its pretty rare, but you might be able to sell a honda for the same price that you purchased it. but this is RARE.