PDA

View Full Version : Engine transplant an EG or buy a DC2R?

NightKids
31-01-2010, 11:03 PM
As the title suggests what do you think would be more feasible & give me better performance/handling? DC2Rs are going for around $15-$19K right now. Say if I can sell my EG (SOHC VTEC D16Y1) for $7000 then the difference would be $8000.

So that's the figure we have to take into account. For that price I'm guessing I can put in a B18C2 with labour for $5000 and have some money left over for suspension.

Will it go as hard as a DC2R? Or is it more worthwhile to sell the whole car & just put in the rest of the money for a Type R?

B18cEG
31-01-2010, 11:09 PM
I would go with the swap, if I had the choose I would do the swap as I have done it before and loved it, dc2 and eg have same floor pan so good starting point, i'm sure u can get a b18c2 and port the head atleast or add cams and valvetrain for that price u stated and get suspension, very very fun cars as I'm sure u already know but if u like the dc2r there also good, at the end of the day are u looking at resale value or fun and a keeper?

WA-EG
31-01-2010, 11:23 PM
I guess the question you also gotta ask, without knowing the condition of your EG would it fetch $7k for sale??

Owning a B18 EG I know how much fun they are. Adding a few extras like suspension, perhaps exhaust, maybe cams if you got the dollars, would make the EG an awesome (fun) car. What makes them a good/quick car is power to weight.

NightKids
31-01-2010, 11:25 PM
I love my EG and would chuck in a B18C2 in a heart beat. The only thing holding me back is that I'm a bit self conscious cause i'm mid 20s and dunno if driving an EG would look alright once I hit 30s cause I'm planning to keep it for a while if I do an engine transplant. DC2R would still look TB but I guess a lil less than an EG. I already have a family car btw, this is my 2nd car.

The other big thing holding me back is insurance cover. DC2R i'm presuming would be covered by it's market value whereas say if I chuck $8000 on the car & happen to stack it then I would lose all that money right?

Everything points to me getting a Evo 8 or 9 as my next car but for some reason I really love the feeling of N/A Hondas.

WA-EG
31-01-2010, 11:34 PM
I love my EG and would chuck in a B18C2 in a heart beat. The only thing holding me back is that I'm a bit self conscious cause i'm mid 20s and dunno if driving an EG would look alright once I hit 30s cause I'm planning to keep it for a while if I do an engine transplant. DC2R would still look TB but I guess a lil less than an EG. I already have a family car btw, this is my 2nd car.

The other big thing holding me back is insurance cover. DC2R i'm presuming would be covered by it's market value whereas say if I chuck $8000 on the car & happen to stack it then I would lose all that money right?

I guess that depends on whether your car is a fashion accessory or a hobby. Myself, being 24 am mighty happy with my EG. I drive it less than 200km a month, but each time I'm in it I enjoy it. Just keep it neat, not obnoxious and will look shmick.

As for insurance, I can't see a Type R being all that cheap to insure. If you're worried about sinking money and losing it, go with someone like shannons for insurance, agreed covers. ;-) the way to go.....

NightKids
31-01-2010, 11:39 PM
I think we got Shannons in Melb? Not too sure..

So you reckon with the difference in money with buying a DC2R I can get better straight/cornerning performance? The speed of my EG has always bothered me, it'll be great to transform it into a totally different car I reckon!

B18cEG
31-01-2010, 11:40 PM
Dnt worry bou wat ppl think bou u driving a civic lol if that's wat u meant, about insurance just go with a company like just car if u Have that over east because they do agreed value or market value, go the civic I say :D If anything did happen to he car chances r the motor would still be fine so pay the 1k or so they ask for get the insurance mone and keep the car, if I'm not making sence I'm sorry I'm hardcore tired lol

Cooker
31-01-2010, 11:48 PM
DC2R has stiffer chassis, bigger brakes, nicer inside/Recaro seats, B18CR, LSD, shorter gear ratio's etc etc
To do all that to an EG you are looking at nearly then same price then a DC2R and the EG won't hold its value as well as the DC2R.

The only plus of an EG civic is that it is lighter, so straight line speed with a B18CR in it would be quicker then a bog stock DC2R.

NightKids
01-02-2010, 08:41 AM
That's some very valid points cooker. Cause the DC2R is made for racing whereas the EG was desinged to be a normal car. There's no way I can afford to put a B18CR in, most likely B18C2.

How does a EG with B18C2 compared with a stock DC2R in terms on straight line speed?

bennjamin
01-02-2010, 08:47 AM
1. a eg with b18c2 vs b18c7 is a noticeable difference. 127kw ( ?) vs 141kw is say 14.5 vs 13.6 down the 1/4 mile.
2. You wont be able to see the vti for $7k. More realistically is $5k in mint condition.
3. A eg with type R running gear is always going to be faster than a DC2R , but a DC2R is a fantastic package of a car.

Do it to your EG , if you want the rep and love your car. OTherwise sell the eg and but a dead stock DC2R for around $12-16k and enjoy it.

NightKids
01-02-2010, 08:53 AM
Cheers Benjammin. Real helpful post, I guess now I gotta make the decision to keep the EG or not. The time and effort I've put into the car, dunno if I can let it go for $5000. Just worked out that I've put around $5300 into the car. Most of the things I can take off and sell though...

bennjamin
01-02-2010, 09:02 AM
true....make that decision. You can easily get the eg up to dc2r running standards with extra parts. But Your car , + the money spent wont get you that money back at all ! Think about it.

WA-EG
01-02-2010, 10:35 AM
true....make that decision. You can easily get the eg up to dc2r running standards with extra parts. But Your car , + the money spent wont get you that money back at all ! Think about it.

if its resale value you're after, the decision has already been made. the type R is the way to go. if you're after something fun and still reasonably cheap then stick with the EG. Like you said, you've already sunk a bit of money into it.
the sad truth cars very rarely make money. all modders have come to terms with that.

Just to make things more difficult. My mate got a type r coversion priced up by a workshop in perth. 10k for front cut, conversion, extractors, exhaust and some minor brake work. i think he was talking some coilovers too.

yellows2k
01-02-2010, 10:46 AM
Or sell ur car and get one already done for 10-11k. Chances r it will already have suspension and some goodies.
As far as how u look. If ur the type of person that cares wat others think then I'm sorry for u

bennjamin
01-02-2010, 10:53 AM
some advice

buy my mates b20 EK - all performance done ready to go. Fun car

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=127267

WA-EG
01-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Or sell ur car and get one already done for 10-11k. Chances r it will already have suspension and some goodies.
As far as how u look. If ur the type of person that cares wat others think then I'm sorry for u

i think we're giving himtoo many options. ha ha.

Thats a good option though, pay for things already done is cheaper than doing it yourself. hell i bought my car already converted but i also wanted a bit of blank canvas, so all mine had is conversion with less than 85thou km on the clock , nothing else. there are some nice converted civics out there. Even some well priced type R conversions.

B18cEG
01-02-2010, 12:12 PM
how about you go b20vtec, much much cheaper, more torque and a bit of power:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

EK1.6LCIV
01-02-2010, 12:34 PM
buy the ITR, the hard work is done with nothing left to do, just my 2c

WA-EG
01-02-2010, 05:20 PM
how about you go b20vtec, much much cheaper, more torque and a bit of power:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

what sort of power does a b20 make from factory? is it really that much cheaper than say the B18 vti-r?

B18cEG
01-02-2010, 08:49 PM
Not exacly sure about power but b20 block bout $800 add b16 or b18 head another $500-$800

yellows2k
01-02-2010, 09:38 PM
honestly, sell ur one. if u look, and haggle enough, and if the seller is motivated, then u can pick up a nice eg with b18cr with lots of goodies for about $10-12k.
super reliable and great fun

Civic118
01-02-2010, 11:58 PM
Definitely the Integra Type R over swapping the engine in the Civic. By the time you bring the rest of the car to standard you'll have spent the price of the ITR on the Civic.

Though for the money you can buy better cars than the Integra... depending on what you want.

NightKids
02-02-2010, 12:29 PM
honestly, sell ur one. if u look, and haggle enough, and if the seller is motivated, then u can pick up a nice eg with b18cr with lots of goodies for about $10-12k.
super reliable and great fun

I think I'm gonna go this option & if I can't find a EG with B18CR for a good price then I'll just get a DC2R. Problem solved!

P.S. Don't really wanna muck around with B20s as I'm scared they'll give me trouble. This is a daily driver so want something really reliable.

yellows2k
02-02-2010, 02:59 PM
or an ek with b18. trust me, i know how much fun they r, ive got 2
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/yellows2k/752a7edf.jpg

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j129/yellows2k/949d11e1.jpg

goldcoastem1
02-02-2010, 04:43 PM
Why not drive a lightly modded dc2 r then drive an eg with the conversion done?? That should tell u which one u like better.. I've owned a dc2 R and now own a eg si and thinking about doing a conversion.. but in my opinion i'd still go a dc2 r..

VT3C
02-02-2010, 06:01 PM
if it's your Daily Driver i'd say go for a clean DC2-R.. if it's to become a track whore.. then do a swap in an EG.

IMO the DC2-R is a perfectly balanced car for sprited daily driving.. carries some street 'cred' and will retain a better resale value.

From my experience a JDM B16 in an EG will be faster than a stock-ish DC2-R.. throw an LSD and a B18C in there and it will blow the DC2-R off the track !!.

on the flipside, the EG doesnt have as much resale value and less street 'cred'.. both cars have the same degree of functionality - apart from the added reliability of the factory B18C(R) versus the questionable reliability of an engine swap.

The EG chassis is lighter than the DC2 and while it's not as stiff from the factory as a DC2-R, it can easilly be brought up to the same level... but basically pushing an EG to DC2-R levels you're going to be pushing legalities (For street use) and compromising some functionality..

but yeah the DC2-R has (OK) Suspension, Great Interior, Power, Noise, Looks and reliability all out of the box.. so perfect for a daily driver IMO.

I drove my B16 EG5 for years as a Daily but the more you modify it, the less suitable it becomes for daily use.