PDA

View Full Version : mounting slim fans infront of radiator?

vinnY
01-02-2010, 07:11 PM
so with a slim fan i can mount infront of the rad instead of sitting in the engine bay(doing this to make more room for my headers)

my question is, i know it's doable, but would having in either push or pull config matter much? i don't see why this would really matter since the fan's not on while in motion but it doesn't hurt to ask

also will it affect cooling that much buy having the fan in front of instead of behind the radiator? probably won't matter since the fan's pretty open except for a small bit in the center but again no harm in asking

aircon condenser, same story, doable?

radiator's an aftermarket aluminium one, half width but twice the thickness of a stock ek rad if it matters

DLO01
01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
What car? Do you really need to go a half size? Do you really need to put the fan in front of radiator?

Fans cooling work better in Pull, like in the factory position behind the radiator drawing in air through the radiator. If you can keep it there, I would. If you can keep the Oem fan, I would, even if you have to trim the shroud a little.

If you need to put it in front of the radiator, you prol need to get an aftermarket slimline fan. You'll need to wire it up to blow through the radiator toward the motor. This is just wiring it up the other way around. Also the fan itself needs to be flipped around if the blades are curved.

Heres some pic's of my half size in my car, with Oem fan in its usual Pull configuration:

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofIMG_9147.jpg

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a265/DLO01/Misc/ResizeofIMG_9145.jpg

vinnY
01-02-2010, 07:28 PM
awesomeness just the answer i was looking for dean
was just trying to clean up the bay without sacrificing too much

i'll probably be getting a slim fan either way, headers will probably fit with a slim fan but i'd rather more space than just enough if you know what i mean

car's an ek if it helps

can you usually just flip the fans on those slim radiator fans?

DLO01
01-02-2010, 07:32 PM
If you want that 'clean' look, then I understand where your comming from, putting it on the other side of the radiator.

Yeh, man. If the fan is curved which any decent brand is. Then you can flip it. Usually just a C clip that holds it on.

vinnY
01-02-2010, 07:37 PM
interesting, will get the fan(have to buy it anyway) and see how i go
thanks for the help dean :)

markismaximus
01-02-2010, 08:13 PM
Check out this link http://www.daviescraig.com.au/Thermatic_Fans-list.aspx
as it gives the different fan dimensions. Will give you an idea as to whether you can even fit a fan in front of the rad. and as Deano said the fan itself will need to be flipped.

EG5
01-02-2010, 08:45 PM
you can run them on the opposite side of stock fans too.
Cleaner looking.

TODA AU
01-02-2010, 09:00 PM
Function over form...
Always stay with pull...

vinnY
01-02-2010, 10:15 PM
ta the advice fella's, will decide what to do when the header and fan actually arrives

yeah i'm usually a function over form person but sometimes it couldn't hurt to have a bit of form :p

eg5civic
01-02-2010, 10:27 PM
at work i got told push config is shit cause the fan blocks airflow while moving therefore causing the fan to be on more often

at least in the pull config, your radiator has maximum cooling effect while moving and then when stopped utilises the fan to continue cooling

string
02-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Pushing will result in dead patches based on the dimensions of your fan. Pulling through a shroud will result in a more uniform flux through the radiator. I.e. pull unless you absolutely must push.

DNYALL
02-02-2010, 05:48 PM
My fan has been mounted at the front of the rad for ages now with the wires switched to make it push. (although, I never even thought about swapping the fan blade itself :eek: ) oh well. I have been on many a track day with this and had no problems. But then, i'd say it would be a lot more effective pulling as everyone else has said :thumbsup:

EG5
02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
Function over form...
Always stay with pull...

Will try to swap it the other way , hopefully i got abit of space

fromdeeeast
02-02-2010, 07:32 PM
so with a slim fan i can mount infront of the rad instead of sitting in the engine bay(doing this to make more room for my headers)

my question is, i know it's doable, but would having in either push or pull config matter much? i don't see why this would really matter since the fan's not on while in motion but it doesn't hurt to ask

also will it affect cooling that much buy having the fan in front of instead of behind the radiator? probably won't matter since the fan's pretty open except for a small bit in the center but again no harm in asking

aircon condenser, same story, doable?

radiator's an aftermarket aluminium one, half width but twice the thickness of a stock ek rad if it matters

How wrong you are my friend!!

This makes a massive difference, I had a massive overheating problem because of the pull/push mechanism of the radiator thermo fan!

Set it up properly! and the fan turns on more than you'd realise.

markismaximus
02-02-2010, 08:24 PM
How wrong you are my friend!!

This makes a massive difference, I had a massive overheating problem because of the pull/push mechanism of the radiator thermo fan!

Your situation was a little different. Your setup was trying to pull air from your engine bay to outside. <--- that is not considered a push setup.
Push is where the fan pushes air from outside into the engine bay. So the air hitting the front of the thermofan will still pass the radiator...

fromdeeeast
02-02-2010, 08:46 PM
Your situation was a little different. Your setup was trying to pull air from your engine bay to outside. <--- that is not considered a push setup.
Push is where the fan pushes air from outside into the engine bay. So the air hitting the front of the thermofan will still pass the radiator...

Ahh I see

I stand corrected

Above post is correct!

LOL

DLO01
02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Yeh, thats pretty bad. No wonder you had problems. To put it plainly, when your driving, air would naturally flow through the radiator, now, if your fan turned on, your basically cancelling out the natural flow, cause the fan is pushing against it, therfore no airflow or no cooling at all or very minimal at best. At stand still. Your would be drawing hot air through the radiator, ie, still not good.

fromdeeeast
02-02-2010, 09:34 PM
Yeh, thats pretty bad. No wonder you had problems. To put it plainly, when your driving, air would naturally flow through the radiator, now, if your fan turned on, your basically cancelling out the natural flow, cause the fan is pushing against it, therfore no airflow or no cooling at all or very minimal at best. At stand still. Your would be drawing hot air through the radiator, ie, still not good.

Basically what was happening with mine because I'm dumb lol

Yer it is pretty bad when I think of it, lucky I found it now than later, was driving me nuts!

vinnY
03-02-2010, 01:12 AM
well i should be getting the slim fan in a couple weeks and it should do push/pull by flipping the blades(hopefully anyway)
will throw up some pics when more gear arrives :)

thought about doing the aircon fan too, looked at my stock fan and it appears that the condenser mounts are on the fan shroud itself so i'd probably have to modify the stock fan shroud i.e. cut it into bits then mount the new slim fan on the opposite side

i eyeballed everything last night, i should be able to pull everything off if i stick to 12" fans mounted flush against the radiator/condenser and providing i'm able to flip the fins at all(the fan specifies both pull and push cfm ratings so i'm assuming this means i can)

my cooling experience only comes from cooling pc's so forgive me if the same ideas don't apply :p

fatboyz39
03-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Agree pull over push.