PDA

View Full Version : skunk2 pro vs itr intake manifold!!

gravias
02-02-2010, 06:45 PM
hello guys..
i have an ek4(b16a2) with intake/header/exhaust and obd1 reprogram ecu and i am thinking to replace the intake manifold..which one is beter choise? worth skunk2 pro IM the extra money?? if i replace my stock TB with a bigger it will performs better? waiting for your advise... thanksss

VTi_b0i
02-02-2010, 06:50 PM
TBH id just get a type R manifold. only reason I got a skunk2 is because the ITR one doesnt fit on my SiR (VTiR) b18c

gravias
02-02-2010, 07:24 PM
S2 plot shows gains up to 18hp and 15lb/ft compared to a B16A manifold at mid range... http://www.skunk2.com/mm5/merchant.m...de=307-05-0280 ..is that true or is a marketing trick??

geeang
02-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Maybe on a fully built engine but a stock engine it wouldn't be worth getting.
If you planned on heavily building and having your car tuned properly, even then S2 manifold and TB is a maybe.

Just wait a bit and I'm sure some more knowledgable people will chime in here and tell you that on a stock motor you'll even lose power from a bigger throttle body.

Dems
02-02-2010, 07:47 PM
S2 plot shows gains up to 18hp and 15lb/ft compared to a B16A manifold at mid range... http://www.skunk2.com/mm5/merchant.m...de=307-05-0280 ..is that true or is a marketing trick??

marketing... type r manifold is perfect for most street applications, maybe even use the throttle body for shits and giggles too.

you won't see any power increase from these parts unless you have the headwork or other supporting mods to use it.

stay away from over sized throttle body's as well, using the type r mani and tb you will notice an improvement in response in acceleration. most just think this because you have gained an extra 500kw atw :p

but not the case, it will just make your car a bit more fun to drive.

jks24
03-02-2010, 04:44 PM
i have had several ppl tell me to just go with the dc2r intake manifold and tb on my b16a. Alot cheaper compared to the skunk2 which is like nearly 1k for the two

DLO01
03-02-2010, 06:00 PM
i have had several ppl tell me to just go with the dc2r intake manifold and tb on my b16a. Alot cheaper compared to the skunk2 which is like nearly 1k for the two

For obvious reasons..... Bang for buck! :thumbsup:

ninzee
03-02-2010, 06:10 PM
i got a type r tb and im in my jdm b16a which i picked up for a very cheap price on here i got it all fitted and dynod at a 4kw increase which is pretty good considering im using stock cams but if i just get the itr one its about 200 cheaper and i dont believe the difference would be that dramatic, also id suggest some itr (aus) cams as i am getting soon as iv been told the increase with a itr tb and im would be pretty good

VT3C
03-02-2010, 06:40 PM
as far as I know the Skunk2 manifold is based on the ITR manifold in terms of plenum size and runner lengths etc.. I think it has a mild Porting and Polishing but otherwise based on the type R item.

The whole purpose of Skunk2 manufacturing this Intake Manifold was becasue of the B18C2 (VTiR/SiR-G/GSR) swaps that were the c5raze in the US back in the day.. the B18C2's dual-tract IM with ECU operated Butterfly valve was a common modification however the bolt pattern on the B18C2 head was different to B16/Type-R.

Most people just bought a B16 intake Manifold (because this was before Type R's even existed) and cut off the Flange on their B18C2 IM and welded the two together. The Skunk2 IM was the first to offer a bolt pattern suitable for B18C2 and if I am not wrong it has bolt pattern for both.. so it CAN be used on B16 or Type R's.

I have a book - 'Honda and Acura Performance' I think it's called where this dude that runs his 'Killer-Bee Racing' Del Sol in the SCCA series in the US. He dyno tests many many mods on the same motor with dyno-proven results etc. The Skunk 2 IM was actually losing power in most places accross the rev-range on a basically stock B16A2/3 and only a marginal gain in some places. it Basically says that bang per buck the B16 IM is the best value.

If you're talking a B18C2.. then i'd DEFINATELY say get teh Skunk2 IM.. otherwise spend your money on something better.

geeang
03-02-2010, 07:21 PM
as far as I know the Skunk2 manifold is based on the ITR manifold in terms of plenum size and runner lengths etc.. I think it has a mild Porting and Polishing but otherwise based on the type R item.

The whole purpose of Skunk2 manufacturing this Intake Manifold was becasue of the B18C2 (VTiR/SiR-G/GSR) swaps that were the c5raze in the US back in the day.. the B18C2's dual-tract IM with ECU operated Butterfly valve was a common modification however the bolt pattern on the B18C2 head was different to B16/Type-R.

Most people just bought a B16 intake Manifold (because this was before Type R's even existed) and cut off the Flange on their B18C2 IM and welded the two together. The Skunk2 IM was the first to offer a bolt pattern suitable for B18C2 and if I am not wrong it has bolt pattern for both.. so it CAN be used on B16 or Type R's.

I have a book - 'Honda and Acura Performance' I think it's called where this dude that runs his 'Killer-Bee Racing' Del Sol in the SCCA series in the US. He dyno tests many many mods on the same motor with dyno-proven results etc. The Skunk 2 IM was actually losing power in most places accross the rev-range on a basically stock B16A2/3 and only a marginal gain in some places. it Basically says that bang per buck the B16 IM is the best value.

If you're talking a B18C2.. then i'd DEFINATELY say get teh Skunk2 IM.. otherwise spend your money on something better.

The Skunk2 intake manifolds for B16/B18C7 and B18C2 are separate products, so they have 'developed' an intake manifold for either application, not one to suit both.

gravias
03-02-2010, 07:43 PM
the old skunk2 manifold based on itr manifold.. the new skunk2 pro its a bit different i think...

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Build your head first. No need for larger IM or TB at this stage.

- 3-angle port grind
- Valves
- Valve springs
- Titanium retainers
- Stage 2 or 3 cam shafts
- Cam gear
- ECU + tune

That's where you get the best value for your money next I think.

ninzee
03-02-2010, 09:00 PM
dougie how much would all that cost not incl ecu + tune and itr cams and cam gears or is there a better more bang 4 buck option

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 09:13 PM
You mean, just valves, valve springs, retainers and 3-angle grind?

I reckon you'd be looking at around $1k +/-

Def. worth it though

ninzee
03-02-2010, 09:16 PM
lol woops i didnt read what i rote what i ment was not incl ecu and tune but with itr cams and skunk2 or buddy club adj cam gears or am i better off buying skunk2 cams

dougie_504
03-02-2010, 11:02 PM
Dunno about ITR cam shafts but for aftermarket camshafts and camgears (like Bisimoto or Skunk2R) you'll pay like $650-750 for the shafts and about $250-300 for the gears.

Retainers and springs generally come in a package, I think they're about $250-400.

Not sure about valves, check Skunk2R website.

Not sure about labour on 3-angle either I'm afraid.

gravias
15-02-2010, 12:47 AM
thanks for the reply guys... i find a intake manifold and TB from dc2 but they dont have fuel rail and sensors... can i use the sensors from my smaller TB and the fuel rail from my b16a intake manifold??

AXS
15-02-2010, 10:04 AM
thanks for the reply guys... i find a intake manifold and TB from dc2 but they dont have fuel rail and sensors... can i use the sensors from my smaller TB and the fuel rail from my b16a intake manifold??

yes you can.

gravias
16-02-2010, 04:29 AM
thanks m8... :) :)