PDA

View Full Version : DC5 Type R engine

Red
04-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Hey guys. Recently my cars had a big oil leak and whats happened is the overall life of my DC5 has been reduced. In about another 50,000km the engine life will end. Out of query i was wondering if it is worth replacing a new engine or will getting an engine rebuild do the job?

Zilli
04-02-2010, 05:31 PM
wow....

where are you getting your information from... do you know what is causing the leak? how many kms on it?

Are you a mechanic?

Have you done a compression test?

What makes you think it will fail in 50k kms?

burak213
04-02-2010, 05:37 PM
Rebuild the engine should be good enough

but b4 you do that

reply to Zilli's post

Paul1985
04-02-2010, 05:45 PM
wow....

where are you getting your information from... do you know what is causing the leak? how many kms on it?

Are you a mechanic?

Have you done a compression test?

What makes you think it will fail in 50k kms?

Right on,
thats crazy talk...

WATAJK
04-02-2010, 06:04 PM
Hey guys. Recently my cars had a big oil leak and whats happened is the overall life of my DC5 has been reduced. In about another 50,000km the engine life will end. Out of query i was wondering if it is worth replacing a new engine or will getting an engine rebuild do the job?

I highly doubt your engine is going to fail in 50,000km lol...

pure_na
04-02-2010, 06:07 PM
I highly doubt your engine is going to fail in 50,000km lol...

that's a bold statement. he has approximately 50k km to:
run into a tree
install a cai and suck up a pond
run into another car
run the car off a cliff
get caught in a flood
see, think before you speak

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

FR33K
04-02-2010, 06:12 PM
if you can estimate how long your engine has before it blows id think you would know enough to make a decision if its worth rebuilding or changing engines.... lol

how many k's on the engine ??

worry about fixing the oil leak first !!

WATAJK
04-02-2010, 06:40 PM
that's a bold statement. he has approximately 50k km to:
run into a tree
install a cai and suck up a pond
run into another car
run the car off a cliff
get caught in a flood
see, think before you speak
:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

LOL
****ing smat ass c*nt lol...

Cooker
04-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Just cos it has an oil leak doesn't mean the engine is finished lol

curtis265
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
dw it's a honda, you have at least 200,000km left.

on a more serious note, reply to the first response..

Red
05-02-2010, 09:00 AM
My Cars Done 119,000km's. The mechanic at Honda had a look at it. said there was some problems with one of the piping in my oil tank. Had that fixed but they also told me that due the the car running on low/no oil, its done some long term damages. He gave it about 60,000kms left in its life. My mates a mechanic and hes also given me at tops about 100,000km left tops.

Zilli
05-02-2010, 09:13 AM
what exactly are the damages done mate?

do you know the details?

45SET
05-02-2010, 09:41 AM
The average distance a car travels in Australia is 12-14k km a year... if not less.

Going by that, you have about 3-4 years left with that engine... what is the problem?

But like Zilli... more info... what damage is done?

burak213
05-02-2010, 11:24 AM
im guessing that the oil leak caused the engine to lose some oil

and he didnt notice it which means drove it around with hardly any oil.

Now worried that the engine is damage and the life is reduced

Pocketz
05-02-2010, 11:26 AM
best advice, if its not making a knocking sound, put it up for sale and be done with it!

Red
05-02-2010, 01:43 PM
None short term damages atm so im not 100% sure ive just been given that approximation by the mechanics. Maybe it may even last longer.

Red
05-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Ive been on holidays so the cars been left with hte missus if u were wondering >.< so yah. She said she hadnt noticed any oil leaks.

Zilli
05-02-2010, 01:50 PM
OK cool... well i'd be weary about spending a whole lot of money replacing or rebuilding your engine unless you are 100% certain on exactly what is damaged. If you car isnt blowing smoke, running erratically or exhibiting anything unusual to the oil leak problem you describe then i would even spend time thinking about how to fix a problem, because it appears you dont have one my friend!

enjoy driving your car and ensure you keep the maintenance up and you will be fine

1900-hustler
05-02-2010, 02:14 PM
just keep it for another couple of years then sell it to a p plater

problem solved ;)

dc2r
05-02-2010, 02:35 PM
The average distance a car travels in Australia is 12-14k km a year... if not less.

Going by that, you have about 3-4 years left with that engine... what is the problem?

But like Zilli... more info... what damage is done?

Maybe you can be more specific with "the average car"...
The average daily driver actually travels about 25-30k kms in a year :)

45SET
05-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Maybe you can be more specific with "the average car"...
The average daily driver actually travels about 25-30k kms in a year :)

Really... has it gone up that much...

FARK...

b4dnuf
05-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Yeah i average about 25K i thought it was like 20K 3 years ago.
13K seems really low. unless ur like deano and dont drive ur car that much and keep it in immaculate condition.

45SET
05-02-2010, 03:16 PM
FARK!!!

I average 10k a year... and i thought that was just below average!!

vippy84
05-02-2010, 04:03 PM
FARK!!!

I average 10k a year... and i thought that was just below average!!

bigger city, longer distance to travel! :)

Paul1985
05-02-2010, 05:55 PM
OK cool... well i'd be weary about spending a whole lot of money replacing or rebuilding your engine unless you are 100% certain on exactly what is damaged. If you car isnt blowing smoke, running erratically or exhibiting anything unusual to the oil leak problem you describe then i would even spend time thinking about how to fix a problem, because it appears you dont have one my friend!

enjoy driving your car and ensure you keep the maintenance up and you will be fine

This one...
If it ain't broke, dont fix it.
Keep an eye on the oil level at the dipstick, listen out for any pinging or rattling noises from the engine.

What did you take it to the mechanics for originally???
Must have been something for the mech to have the sump off to be looking at the oil pickup (thats what you described before).

My g/f sister brought her car to me because she said it was "loud in her engine".
It was her tappets starving of oil as no oil was getting up there.

It appeared to be the first oil change in an extremely loooong time, it was sludge, not oil. Less than 1lt came out. This is on a hyundai, 2 years ago, new filter and some oil and that thing's still running.

Keep it maintaned and i think it will be fine without knowing the full story.

To the people saying to sell broken cars to others in an attempt to rip people off :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

markis
08-02-2010, 07:44 PM
^^^ agree with above. spot on mate. :)

hondas tend to live a long life and thats with the abuse they get.

henrygiang
08-02-2010, 09:55 PM
To the people saying to sell broken cars to others in an attempt to rip people off :thumbdwn::thumbdwn:

+1 what goes around comes around

7ypeR
10-02-2010, 09:40 AM
I think the OP is scared by the fact that the engine may have been oil starved meaning there was potential grinding of metal on metal. Hell who wouldn't be?

Best thing to do, get a compression test done to see if anything is actually wrong. If it's all good, thank god you don't have to rebuild and make sure you service it regularly with high quality fluids. If it's sh*t, then I guess your up a creek without a paddle. In saying that though, there's plenty of options if the engine is no good. You can either rebuild with high-comp internals OR just buy a Euro k24 bottom end and match it to your existing motor.

Either way, you've got options.