PDA

View Full Version : Lock Nuts

Antv
04-02-2010, 08:41 PM
Hey guys,

i have red coloured lightweight aluminium lock nuts holding my aftermarket rims. I know you should remove them using the special lock key thing. But i was wondering, how do you remove them without scratching all the anodize red off the lock nuts?

or do they generally get scratched if you remove them?

one of my lock nuts snapped in half today when the stupid mechanic was trying to remove it with the drill....:eek:

Thanks everyone

Ashwee
04-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Theres not a lot you can do to avoid it, aside from spending big on a good quality set of rays/blox etc. Could try some tape over them I guess.

vinnY
04-02-2010, 10:23 PM
nature of the thing, they will get scratched

gee-aye-dee
05-02-2010, 07:00 AM
mechanics should know better than to remove them with a rattle gun being a mechanic myself i always at least loosen them with a breaker bar first. using a gun on them will ruin the key and the shape of the head of the locknuts. id be requesting that the mech buy you a new set of locknuts mate only way u can get them off without a key is by cold chisel

Antv
05-02-2010, 10:54 AM
thanks for the responses guys,

yeh i told the mechanic that its his fault that it snapped, and he goes on about they were tightened too much and they were not lined up properly in the hole (which was full of shit). and all he did was replace my precious red locknut with some cheapy steel lug nut....

no point complaining now. just not going to that place again.

SHU-ES1
05-02-2010, 11:01 AM
i've got a set of rays black lug nuts, can't avoid scratching them bro. just touch them up after you've put them on, never tried it but could work?

Antv
05-02-2010, 09:52 PM
where can i get touchup paint bro?

jks24
05-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Theres not a lot you can do to avoid it, aside from spending big on a good quality set of rays/blox etc. Could try some tape over them I guess.

lol i got rays red lock nuts and they still get scracthed/chipped

OP its just the nature of the game not much you can do about it:thumbsup:

euro_tr4sh
05-02-2010, 11:56 PM
and all he did was replace my precious red locknut with some cheapy steel lug nut....

they dont sound that quality anyway if they snapped like that haha

shadou
06-02-2010, 12:49 AM
try wrapping some sort of tape around the but before applying a socket to it maybe?

xntrik
06-02-2010, 05:54 AM
just get a new set.
or some quality set.

otherwise deal with it,
all coloured nuts eventually fade, or scratch.

Antv
06-02-2010, 11:48 PM
wow lol. i was only asking if they generally get scratched not whinging and saying 'My Lock nuts should not get scratched'.....

im getting a new set next week =D