PDA

View Full Version : Can you help me with some questions?

Nikita
05-02-2010, 09:27 AM
This is my first post on this forum, so I'll give you a little history on me.

I am a newbie when it comes to performance modifications etc. 16 years ago, I owned an '83 Honda Prelude EX, which I absolutely loved. I am now in the process of buying a 2004 Accord Euro from a non Honda dealer (Mitsubishi dealer but connected with a Honda dealership through their parent company). The car is in great nick with only 63,000KMs on the clock, service books etc.

When I popped the hood I noticed a large silver tube leading into the engine. From what I can gather by reading this forum it looks like a Fujita Cold Air Intake. The salesperson didn't realize this was an after market (at least that is the story he gave me) and it wasn't mentioned in their specs or write up on the car.

I was wondering if anyone on the forum can provide some insights into whether this is a useful mod, well connected mod and whether they can spot any other work done to the engine from the photo?

I am thinking of asking the dealership to pop it over to their Honda Dealership across the road to ensure no other unseen mods have been done to the car.

Thanks in advance!

Pocketz
05-02-2010, 09:39 AM
Looks like the only Mod is the cold air intake, but it hard to say from that photo.

I doubt there would be anything wrong with the car itself as its pretty hard to stuff up a intake mod. I would ask for a cheaper price (use the Mod as leverage & also ask for stock intake) then remove & sell on here for a few $$$

Oh & the sales person would know thats its aftermarket 100% of the time, dont let him use your good will against you.

Nikita
05-02-2010, 09:42 AM
Thanks Poketz!

What do you think the Red "switch" thing is on the left hand side of the engine bay is? Is this standard as well?

Also, isn't the Cold Air Intake supposed to improve the performance and fuel efficiency of the vehicle?

Pocketz
05-02-2010, 09:48 AM
if its what i think your talking about it looks like its part of the power steering unit, couldn t tell you acurately although someone who owns an accord on this forum could prob help more with that.

With the intake dont expect it to yield noticable gains in performace (the slightest bit ever maybe, more sound & show if anything) & i couldnt honeslty tell you on the fuel effeciency side of things, ive never notice an increase in fuel economy with any of my cars due to the air intake.

If your cool with it leave it on, but i would be asking for the OEM intake also

Nikita
05-02-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, I am OK with the CAI though I didn't notice much noise from the mod.
The car was pretty quiet during the test drive.

I highly doubt that they have the OEM air intake filter as this was a car that was traded for one of their Mitsubishis.

I managed to check out the engine bay of a "stock standard" 04 Euro online. It also seems to have red switch, so I am suspecting it is standard issue.

Side by side comparison of the photos leads me to believe that the only obvious mod is the CAI. However, I am a newb so am not sure.

I have requested the dealership to book the car in with their sister dealership (Honda) to have their guys go over the car for other mods. Just in case.

Pocketz
05-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Should all be fine then, the red swith could also be the ABS unit.

typesaccord
08-02-2010, 06:10 PM
yeah it a cold air intake , this is normally the first (easiest/cheapest)mod to make followed by an exhaust .you did say that the car was quiet when you test drove it , so i would doubt that it has an aftermarket exhaust on it . if you dont mind it dont let it stop you buying the car . service history is far more important than a minor mod like this. as for fuel economy , it would only be a very small improvement

Nikita
09-02-2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for that info. I ended up having the car checked out by a Service Manager at Westside Honda in Werribee. He took a quick look at the car. Really nice of him as I popped in with no appointment and they knew I was looking to buy from one of their competitors across the road. Big props to Westside Honda in Werribee, Johnny their service manager is a real credit to their business. Great customer service and went as far as getting another tech to check over the car to ensure it had received the proper treatment at the 40K service.

Westside Honda could not see any other mods to the car. However, I have decided not to progress with the sale.

After spending hours reading up on potential issues with the Euro's I determined the car suffered from the dreaded creaking clutch issue and the potential for master cylinder involvement was likely. Despite my requests for the dealership to check it out, they did nothing to investigate it prior to purchase.

Lastly, the dealership that I was dealing with were dragging their feet on presenting the details on the extended warranty. They were trying to present the 3 month statutory warranty as their "24 month" warranty. When I kept asking them to present the actual 24 month policy they kept giving me different answers as to what the extended warranty was. In the end too many "dodgy" things going on to drag me over the 3 day cooling off period in my opinion.

All in all, the Euro I was looking to buy is a beautiful car, with some nice little mods that might not have been legal (ride height, tinted windows most likely below 35% and cool air intake) but the sales guys started to act like the stereotypical "used car salesmen" and in the end were not very pleasant to deal with once I started exercising my rights.

Thanks to the guys on this forum for putting together some awesome detailed threads on the Euro and what to look out for. This is one of the best forums I have ever stumbled across and the moderation of the threads by Aaronng and EuroAccord13 seems to be spot on. Keeping the threads fun but still informative and most importantly on point.

Troy
10-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Way to go, stick it up 'em if they're not playing ball the way they're supposed to. Some sales reps will do anything to get you to sign and they're the ones to avoid - even if they do have a nice-looking car in the yard.

Keep searching, I'm sure something else nice will come your way shortly.

Nikita
10-02-2010, 04:11 PM
I agree. It's a pity sales reps need to resort to dubious tactics.

I'm now looking at a current Mitsubishi Lancer VRX.
Something the guys at the dealership could have sold if they had treated me better. Instead they cut me loose.

xntrik
10-02-2010, 04:15 PM
Well some sale reps don't give a sh!t about others, just wants the comission they make in regards to a vehicle sale.

So be smart and aware when purchasing from a used car dealership.