PDA

View Full Version : Need some advise on a Honda Civic VTi 95

Johnmiceter
05-12-2004, 11:14 AM
Hi, this is my first post here. Been looking for a good forum for ages where I can talk about Honda Civics. It looks like a fair few people come here so I hope I can find out about a few more things from here.

Anyway, I've been looking for a car for about 2 months now, and finally decided on a Honda Civic VTi Hatch.

It's gone from a Subaru WRX (found out I couldn't really afford one anyway, and Insurance is way to much on these) to a Hyundai FX Coupe 99 or 2000 ( they look like really nice cars, but not sure if they have the power and are as good engines as the VTI Civics) and now finally to a Honda Civic.

I took a test drive of one in the last few days. It's a Blue Honda Civic VTI 95 model (was advertised as a 96 model, but he told me it's a 95 model) and they seem to drive really nice. The only thing I am worried about this car is that I might be paying a bit to much for it, Negotiated down to $12,000, from $12,800. It looks nice, and is the colour I want, but don't know if a 95 model is worth that much. But becuase they're arn't to many of them around, it's hard to compare. And I can't really be to fussy if I want one.

And I still have to get RACQ to test it out. But if everything is fine by them, do you think this is a reasonable price for this car ? And it's in perfect condition accept from a few small trolley dents, but the guy will be taking these out anyway. It has Aircon, and full electrics. They added Power windows and mirrors for this car, because I don't think they came out as standard in this model. And the only modified thing it has is a full exhaust system. And the k's it has done is 116,000.

Dr4g0n
05-12-2004, 01:20 PM
i'm not sure but don't all vti's come with electric power windows and mirrors from factory? which model is the civic? eg or ek? (you can tell by the bigger lights for ek) if it's a real vti and ek model, 12k sounds about right for a civic in top condition. i just found my friend a 96 model ek vti for 12k in excellent unmodded condition with about 70,000kms on the clock.

if you want to check what model the civic is, i.e si, vti, etc. check the engine number and tell us...

i paid 12k for my 94 eg vti a year ago in newish condition with reasonable kilometers (about 130,000kms) from a car yard.

Mugen_B16B
05-12-2004, 01:47 PM
well if its an vti hatch then it would be a eg because ek neva came out in ek vti hatch, and 12k for a eg vti hatch is a rip i reckon i found a fair few for 9-11k

SiR JDM
05-12-2004, 02:30 PM
First of all, does it have a decal at the back?
Most Civics have a decal above the right rear light saying which model it is.

For EG Vtis, full electrics was standard, not an option, so either hes
1 - lying sying he spent more on the car when he didn't
2 - lying that its a vti

Pop the bonnet and have a look around in there..
Chuck the build plate date, will tell you what year and what *EG* model it is..
Vti should be an EG5

Also check the engine block (towards the bottom) for the engine code, if it is a Vti it should say D16Y

If the power windows and mirrors were really put in, and it really is a 96 civic, sounds like a EK Cxi that hes trying to sell off as a Vt, once again just pop the bonnet and check..

Nearly a 10 yr old car with 116,000 kms is a fairly good buy ... most EG's that i saw when buying were 180,000+
If it has full service history and has been serviced regularly, as well as the car being in good condition (interior/exterior) I think 12k is a decent price.

Ive seen alot of EG Vtis go for over 14k! so yea.. hope it helps

dorikin
05-12-2004, 02:57 PM
sounds abit pricey if its the eg model
my sis bought her 94 vti sedan for 6.5k in reasonable condition

SiR JDM
05-12-2004, 04:56 PM
in 99% of cases you get what you pay for.. sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you get unlucky.. but from experience 99% of the time you get what you pay for

Johnmiceter
05-12-2004, 05:56 PM
Well it's hard to tell, because the car is about 40 minutes away from me and don't have a way to get there. He has come to me both times. And I have already had 2 looks at the car and 2 test drives, but didn't look at the badge. But the compliance plate is the 1st of January 95.

And I looked on Redbook.com and it says that 95 VTI's don't come with power windows and mirrors, that's how I found out they wern't standard. I asked the guy and he said they were put in after the car was purchased.

But I would love to know where some of you guys are seeing these VTI's for so cheap. Because where I live in Brisbane, QLD, this is the only one in my price range I have seen. . There are heaps of VTI Sedans though. :(
And there seems to be alot of the newer ones, but I don't like the shape of them, and out of my price range anyway.

Also I think the Hatches seem to be worth more then the Sedans to arn't they ?

But anyway, I know you's don't know me, but if you happen to come across one, can you let me know. Becuase I am really keen to get one. And I told the guy I will either get back to him tomorrow or Tuesday to let him know what I am doing for sure.

bubblecivic
05-12-2004, 06:08 PM
VTI does come with all power options.
Only the breeze came with shit all...

my GL even has all power options....

Johnmiceter
05-12-2004, 06:42 PM
I don't think the 95 model does though bubblecivic.It only comes with a Power sunroof I think.

But I just got it off Redbook here, http://www.redbook.com.au/vehiclesearch/Detail.asp?key=HOND95BU don't know any other sites really.

SiR JDM
05-12-2004, 07:43 PM
Doesn't make sense why towards the end of their production they would stop power windows/mirrors .. but leave the sunroof... redbook has been very unreliable in the past, i wouldn't trust it... but i cannot say

It might just be me, but i see aloooot more vti sedans than hatchs driving around? Not sure what the production numbers were like tho..

There is usually a reason why 1 Vti would be selling for 6.5k, and another for 12+ k? Like ive said already in this thread, and others have said in other threads, you get what you pay for. Dont rush into it dude

Dr4g0n
05-12-2004, 08:01 PM
just call him and tell him to read you the engine number and vin number...tell him you wanna call and check the history of the car coz you're seriously considering and wanna feel 100% about the purchase. if he lies and tells you a different engine/vin number, then of course you shouldn't buy his car.

Mugen_B16B
05-12-2004, 08:37 PM
yeah should call him cause when i had an eg my gl had power windows and it was a CARBI :D

Johnmiceter
05-12-2004, 08:59 PM
Well as soon as I make my decision to buy it or not, I'm going to get Honda to check it out, kind of like a RACQ inspection but from Honda. So I can ask them all the questions about the car. But it's good that you's are telling me a few things so I know what to ask them.
But it's just mainly the price I was worried about for the car but I guess I can ask them that also.

But it's just good to get unbiased answers sometimes :)

But still, if anyone is selling another one, let me know, becuase it's good to have options.

aimre
05-12-2004, 09:31 PM
i got a eg vti, sedan though..... it comes with pwr everything STANDARD. i also got aircon 4 wheels disc brakes

i got it for 5.7k with only 67,000ks full service history, owned by an older femal (who cant park as the front and rear bars are scratched)

Weq
05-12-2004, 11:28 PM
I don't think the 95 model does though bubblecivic.It only comes with a Power sunroof I think.

But I just got it off Redbook here, http://www.redbook.com.au/vehiclesearch/Detail.asp?key=HOND95BU don't know any other sites really.stop aruging noob. VTi HAS POWER WINDOWS STANDARD, power mirrors. power sunroof, aircon, powersteering, velour interior, center console, popup cup holder, 4 speaker stereo, SRS airbag, d16y1 engine with 'VTEC' on the valve cover, front and rear swaybar. 12k is a ripoff, i paid that for my 94 model 2 years ago now. it had 120k on it, immaculate condition.
give him 10k if u must, but nothing over.

Johnmiceter
05-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Who's arguing weq, I'm going off what I read at this site. And by the guy telling me it didn't come standard when he brought it.

So where are you getting your info from, do you work at Honda and know for sure hey ?

And if you think that is a rip off, find me a cheaper one in Qld and I will buy it :wave:

SiR JDM
06-12-2004, 12:42 AM
Redbook is not a reliable source of information...
If its a real vti, it should have everything mentioned above. Weq knows because he owns a VTI and is experienced with hondas.

If it doesn't have those options its either some dodgy Vti rebuild in a breeze shell or something is up with it... Do you have pics of the car? like carsales, carpoint something like that?

FrankieVTi
06-12-2004, 01:49 AM
Bro i got my 94 vti hatch with 640000km in almost perfectr condition for $105000 in november last year, genuine ks with log books etc... Got it from a grandma in cremorne! It has power windows mirrors electric sunroof 6 stack cd player (standard). I dont have an airbag though??? Anyways bro my advice is to take it easy and look around and dont get fooled into paying exuberent prices. There are plenty of good civics around! Good luck buddy!:D

CIV73C
06-12-2004, 08:55 AM
im certain that all VTI 95 civic hatches comes with all power options.
same with what "WEQ" had mentioned, my 95' VTI civic hatch came with all those power options as standard..
my kmz were pretti high.. 180k.. but i paid 8500 a year ago for mine.. and since then i havnt had a problem wif my ride...

aimre
06-12-2004, 11:42 AM
Mine also doesn't have an air bag...... well no light comes up on the dash and there is no seam in my stearing wheel..... nor is there an SRS warning on my visor.....
tho there is a vanity mirror there :)

but it did come with all the power options as STANDARD

and cup holders :):)

and by the sounds of it.... 12000 is a bit steep.

Johnmiceter
06-12-2004, 01:53 PM
Ok thanks guys for the replies. I'm glad I found this forum then. Because since it's a Honda Forum you's should know what you's are talking about, since most of you's in here own a VTI. And it's good to hear from current owners about their car. Even if it does make me want to buy one even more hehe.

Even though there arn't many around atm, and it is the colour I want, maybe I might give it a miss, and hopefully one turns up soon :)

But anyway, while I'm waiting for one to turn up, I'd like to hear a bit about your cars if you own a VTI Hatch and what you think about it. Also if there are any major problems that they can get. So far I've heard it's important to change the timing belt every 100,000 k's otherwise it can stuff your motor up if it breaks, but don't know much else.

And also, if you hear about one for sale , if you could let me know on rusty74@bigpond.net.au, that would be great, and would really appreciate it, thanks.

civtec
06-12-2004, 04:13 PM
hey dont know much about cars but i own a civic vti sedan its the vtec model has all power options including factory sunroof only slight mods exhaust system, pod etc also had full stereo system including sub and amp paid $10000 4 it. has a few kms on it but ive had it 4 a few months now and i am happy with the buy i also wanted this exact model and plan on keeping it so wasnt 2 worried bout the kms

-[NoS]-
13-12-2004, 10:29 PM
dont sunroof = vti ?
i got a 95 eg vti sedan
power everything and all u need
dont vti = vtec engine?
------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.geocities.com/son_h4/rsx.jpg