PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox strength?

trentd
09-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Hey guys, struggling to find information on my dc4 gearbox.
i'm days from completion of the turbo set up on my car and it will be heading of for tune next week.
I wanna know how the gearbox will handle it.
does anyone know how strong they are.
will it last a while if i take car of it.
or will it drop onto the floor when i boot it. haha

JasonGilholme
09-02-2010, 04:07 PM
shouldn't fall out of the car lol

As long as you take your time on the gear changes and let the turbo do the work you should fine. You're not revving any higher, and theres no need to change faster.

trentd
09-02-2010, 04:09 PM
lol not literally fall out, but if syncros are blowing and i cant move there isn't really much different haha.
Just curious of the strength of the thing.

GSi_PSi
09-02-2010, 04:32 PM
it should be fine, a gsi gearbox would be pretty sweet for turbo, longer gears for boostin

Zilli
09-02-2010, 04:43 PM
depends on the condition of your box... how many kms on it? is it notchy or does it grind at the moment?

How much torque will you be putting through it with the new build? what kind of clutch are yout putting in front of it? how low is the car... etc etc

See what im getting at?

trentd
10-02-2010, 07:49 AM
depends on the condition of your box... how many kms on it? is it notchy or does it grind at the moment?

How much torque will you be putting through it with the new build? what kind of clutch are yout putting in front of it? how low is the car... etc etc

See what im getting at?

It's about 100k old, i got a new excedy clutch and flywheel, car sits fairly low on coilovers, its not notchy the slightest and never grinds unless i release clutch to early lol. and the clutch is tough!

The long gears would be fun for turbo =].

IEVAQ8
10-02-2010, 08:18 AM
most honda boxes are strong enugh for decent power, just respect it and u shouldnt have any issues....

trentd
10-02-2010, 08:36 AM
most honda boxes are strong enugh for decent power, just respect it and u shouldnt have any issues....

Thanks mate.

GSi_PSi
10-02-2010, 09:38 PM
i would be bit more worried about the clutch going sooner

IEVAQ8
11-02-2010, 05:47 AM
i would rather blkow a clutch or 2 rather than a gear box

trentd
11-02-2010, 08:05 AM
true, clutch will be fine. it has only been driven on a few times