PDA

View Full Version : Squeaking Brakes??

RiceMeister
10-02-2010, 08:39 AM
hey guys,

I've just started driving again the past wek and my brakes are squeaky as fark! when braking at slow speeds like coming to stops at the lights or slowing down from 40/50km/h to a halt they let off a really high pitched squeak. whilst driving however there is no sound. the feel of the brakes itself is fine and the sound doesnt at all reflect how responsive they are...is strange!

I had the brakes replaced with brand new pads in october and since serving a license suspension the car has only seen 1500km since october with my paernts occasioanlly driving it. Now its feburary and the pads have seen minimal use yet there is a lot of squeaking going on.

any ideas? perhaps they're not properly lubricated or something?

not really that knowledgable in this area. any advice would be great:thumbsup:

luke

HondaTechy
10-02-2010, 08:52 AM
Are they genuine pads? Also are the discs scored?

redefine
10-02-2010, 08:53 AM
sometimes if the car isnt being driven that often, or it has just rained, a small ammount of surface rust can build up on the rotors which will make the squeak, if you just leave it, it will wear off and should go back to normal.

cause it obviously dosent sound like pads :p

COULD be that?

SPO73D
10-02-2010, 09:44 AM
funnily enough, ive had the same issue happen over the past few days... it the same thing, slowing down slowly makes a squeek, however a more depressed brake results in no sound....

Its probably as mentioned above, some build up of rust on the surface, cause the sounds gone.

redefine
10-02-2010, 09:48 AM
also just crossed my mind. Were the pads worn in properley?

ek4-guy
10-02-2010, 10:01 AM
it's called a squeal clip it is a warning that your pads need to be replaced

squeal clip= small clip attached to the brakes pads that rubs on the discs when the pads are low making a grinding or squealing noise

so unless your pad are relatively new i'd be checking how much friction material is left on them

edit: just read the full post and it would seem they are a lil new to be worn

teh_mechanic
10-02-2010, 10:08 AM
its normal. brake squeal is pretty much the enemy of brake manufacturers and it has always been a problem. most common problem is that the discs were not machined back to a 'new' surface when the new pads were fitted. Runout combined with a glaze on the pads and disc cause vibration between the pad and disc and this makes your sound...this is why it is common at low speed low brake situations and why putting full pressure on the pedal can result in the sound going away.

Also, some cheaper pads just sqeal, you get what you pay for. And most good race pads will squeal their ass off on the street

Options :
1- if your discs are still above their minimal thickness (so they can still be machined), machine them, and if your pads have over 60% left you can rub them on some wet concrete to take the glaze off and reuse them, if the pads are low then just replace them.
2 - if the pads are really low,like 10% left, most manufacturers have a piece of metal attached to the pad that will contact the rotor when the pads are low and make a very high pitch noise, to warn the driver its close to time to replace the pads. machine rotors and replace pads.

if your rotors are past their minimum thickness they need to be replaced not machined

Addictions
10-02-2010, 10:10 AM
what break pads did you get?

sheeeedan
14-02-2010, 10:47 PM
machine the rotors as one side is proberly draggn more, or check percentage of pads via indicator of pads

jim57a
18-02-2010, 03:08 PM
check if you need new anti squeal shims

B16bcivic
04-03-2010, 03:11 PM
if its been covered ignore this,

check brake pads, machine disc.
sometimes cheap brake pads makes squeaks when its too hot. Could be the disc needs machining. Or brakes might be out and too low.