PDA

View Full Version : i wanna buy a CRX!

mytoycivic
24-11-2003, 07:46 PM
can ayone give me any information on where i can go to look for a 1989-90 CRX and whether it is worth buying the VTEC over the non-VTEC! i live in sydney and really wanna buy one soon, so let me know, cheers guys!

eknine
24-11-2003, 07:49 PM
hummm... how abt HERE (http://www.tradingpost.com.au/main.asp?State=NSW) ?

and buy a VTEC equipped:)

Setanta
24-11-2003, 08:44 PM
No aussie 2G CRXs came with VTEC unless it's a private import, a "rebuild" or a hybrid.

If you live in Sydney, the odds are against you transferring a rebuild to NSW registry (Vic, Qld and W.A. got rebuilds in before the loophole changed).

Finding a private imort is like finding hens teeth and I've seen a few hybrids, but they are rarely for sale.

Get a Aussie ZC powered 'rex and do the conversion yourself later on is prolly the best answer I can give - or wait and see if you can import a EF8 under the 15 year import laws - if the govt. doesn't kill them.

EF8s are available from '89 to 91 only and come in a variety of trims including full glass roof and most come with a back seat. In theory, you can get one in next year - in practice, I don't know.

Cheers

CRX_GOD
24-11-2003, 09:52 PM
i agree wit de above post, gettin an SiR is really hard to do, just buy one wit a d16a and convert to wateva v-tec equiped engine you want later dude. Nice choice in car though :D :D :D :D

Havok
25-11-2003, 12:20 AM
friend has a 2nd gen hybrid with a b16a VTEC for sale..has a fair few other rice free mods too.

PM me if interested

dc2r
25-11-2003, 02:07 AM
Yeah get one of them old CRX's and drop a B18C5 into it. I know of one and all I can say is I got chopped :shock:
Mad sleeper for sure...

crxmad
25-11-2003, 08:05 AM
hey guys! thanks for the replies, i wil probs just get a non-VTEC and then do the conversion! how much, (just ball-park figure) would i be looking at for a VTEC conversion? cheers again guys!

CRX_GOD
25-11-2003, 08:45 AM
ooohhh vtec conversion depends on what engine you wanna drop in
b16a-lookin bout 5-6 g's unless you put it in yourself
b18c5-bout 7 and up unless you put it in yourself

hope you got money champ :D

Havok
25-11-2003, 09:05 AM
about 5-6k for a b16a but by the time u replace optional but recommended bits like the clutch, hoses, water pump, timing belt,alternator belt your lookin at more

for the b18c5 good luck...the cheapest front cut ive seen was 6k alone. by the time u get it in there around 10k if not more..the dude who owns the b18c5 crx in melbourne spent ALOT

cheers

CRX_GOD
25-11-2003, 10:01 AM
nah actually it should be about 6 with everything like that done as it was just done by a guy on the CRXAustralia forums. Yeh b18c5 is ALOT!!! :P

Havok
25-11-2003, 11:26 AM
he didnt do water pump, belts, he also got it done cheaper than most places are willing to do it for because he knows the guys.

Dont wanna argue with u i was just stating the price most ppl tend to quote..he also saved money on his engine mounts, gearlinkage, wiring harness buy gettting it alot cheaper than retail price and avioiding customs..some states require engineering certificates too so factor all that in and ure most likely looking at more than 6k.

Setanta
25-11-2003, 09:24 PM
5 to 6 grand is about right - remembering you are going carby to EFI. EFI Fuel pumps etc are a must. ALLMTR will tell you it can be done a lot cheaper... but only if you do the work yourself :)

I sometimes wonder if the turbo ZC/D16 option isn't a better route to go.

88crx
26-11-2003, 08:37 AM
5 to 6 grand is about right - remembering you are going carby to EFI. EFI Fuel pumps etc are a must.

carby??

the main reason why it cost so much is the custom engine mounts that
you need ( they cost a fair bit just for engine mounts)

Setanta
26-11-2003, 08:20 PM
My bad - I was thinking Civic not CRX. Comes of posting the same info over and over again ;)