PDA

View Full Version : Whiny noise in 1st gear.

Poeter
10-02-2010, 11:17 PM
Whenever I am coasting with my clutched pressed and my shifter in first (such as when I'm slowing down to a stoplight), I hear a whining noise coming from the engine bay. The whine is higher pitched the faster I go, and fades away when I'm fully stopped. Is this a normal sound for manual in general?

Coasting in any other gear doesn't make any sound, just gear 1. I don't normally coast with clutch in but it's something I noticed when I tried.

slimx
15-02-2010, 07:43 PM
i'm just having a wild guess.. but gearbox oil?

I change gearbox oil and .. my gears dont crunch anymore? and the gb feels brand newww lol.

Give it a try? unless u have a syncho problem.. When u chuck into first.. is it harder than the other gears?

bennjamin
17-02-2010, 06:19 PM
slim your car had TWICE the amount of fluid inside lol and it was dark and murky. No wonder it felt like new !

Yeah , as he said try replacing the gearbox fluid it maybe alittle low or need replacement

Aydin
21-02-2010, 11:48 PM
hey guys ive had the same problem just changed my gear box oil and it went away give it a try it worked for me

I heart the SSS
21-02-2010, 11:51 PM
This is a educated guess, BUT!

1) first is a straight cut gear so it'll whine if you engage it whilst moving

2) you shouldn't be going to first whilst you are rolling, go to second. Only engage first when you are stationary (being a straight cut gear it'll just grind into gear if you are moving forward)

lil_foy
22-02-2010, 02:10 AM
This is a educated guess, BUT!

1) first is a straight cut gear so it'll whine if you engage it whilst moving

2) you shouldn't be going to first whilst you are rolling, go to second. Only engage first when you are stationary (being a straight cut gear it'll just grind into gear if you are moving forward)

double clutch :D

I heart the SSS
22-02-2010, 03:31 PM
double clutch :D

yes you can do that too lol.

JasonGilholme
22-02-2010, 03:44 PM
first gear isn't straight cut?? Just reverse.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/fathergoat/Car/transmission/IMG_0934.jpg

vinnY
22-02-2010, 10:57 PM
i'm with jason, iirc first is not straight cut on honda's

my guess is a bearing is slowly going/gone and most evident while in first and not bad enough to be detected in other gears

bennjamin
23-02-2010, 03:13 PM
first gear isn't straight cut?? Just reverse.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y103/fathergoat/Car/transmission/IMG_0934.jpg

exactly right. 1st gear is sitting just below the reverse/idle gear. Its at a slight angle hence not straight cut.

I will add that any whine in 1st gear is a worn bearing under load , it needs eventual replacement

Poeter
23-02-2010, 04:12 PM
hmm, for some reason now, the faint whine is now happening in 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

This time not riding the clutch. It will now occur under light load or light deceleration.

Gear selection is fine but the noise is very annoying even though it is faint.

I've changed Honda MTF twice and Honda told me this is normal. It's the noise of the diff. 0.0

Another disturbing fact is that this is a brand new honda gearbox out of my own pocket. I hope Honda will honour warranty if the whine becomes more unbearable. The box is only 5months old and done about 10000km.

I think I might be having issues similar to this thread minus noises on full lock

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102561&highlight=whine.

I remember when my very first gearbox fluid was drained, it had some black tiny sediments and fluid looked a bit dark. Not a good sign for a new box :(

hondaEK4
05-04-2010, 05:31 PM
Im having the same problem when taking off slowly in first gear and when i pick up speed it goes away, also slowing down and chucking it fron 3rd to 2nd gear and it also has the whining noise my car is an EK4. Is it that the oil is low? how can i check, i have no idea where its located at the gearbox.

*edit: Its gotten louder since, when it was faint i though it was normal.

GSi_PSi
05-04-2010, 05:53 PM
what kind of gearbox n what engine

hondaEK4
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
what kind of gearbox n what engine

Its a Manual, B16a2. Need help, its getting really loud.

geeang
05-04-2010, 11:37 PM
Its a Manual, B16a2. Need help, its getting really loud.

Your bearings are dying, I had the whine until my bearings eventually shat themselves (and the chunks took my Input Shaft + 1st gear along with it).

hondaEK4
05-04-2010, 11:45 PM
you got any idea how much just to change the input shaft bearings?

geeang
05-04-2010, 11:50 PM
you got any idea how much just to change the input shaft bearings?

I can't remember exact prices, but you'll need new bearings + seals (~$90 each bearing from Honda if I remember right).
You'll also have to pay for labour to pull off the gearbox, take gearbox apart, assemble with new bearings, put gearbox back in, fresh oil.

And this is assuming nothing else has been damaged, when I had mine done I got new bearings + input shaft + 1st gear + new seals + labour, and it cost a pretty penny.

Budget for at least ~$500.

hondaEK4
06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
How long did you live with the whining before it gave out?

geeang
06-04-2010, 12:02 AM
How long did you live with the whining before it gave out?

2 days.

GSi_PSi
06-04-2010, 01:03 AM
might aswell chuck in a lsd and maybe 4.9 or 4.7 fd while ur at it. and hello accelleration

lsvtec
06-04-2010, 01:42 PM
its the main bearing in the gearbox, all of my friends eg's and ek's inculding mine has the same problem!

hondaEK4
06-04-2010, 01:58 PM
input bearing, main bearing? samething?

wynode
06-04-2010, 02:47 PM
Please check the sticky as it has a link to the Gearbox / Clutch FAQ (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?22583-Gearbox-and-Clutch-FAQ-troublshooting)

As for price.....there was a thread on here not too long ago about cost of changing the ISB. The main cost is labour for getting the box out.

if the ISB is on the way out...better to change it rather than have it fail and spew shrapnel around the box and make things worse. Better to be pro-active than reactive :)

Also check out your clutch and thrust (or throwout bearing) while you're at it and replace as necessary.

And yes.....only the reverse gear is straight cut, all the others are not (hence why Reverse is soo noisy!)