PDA

View Full Version : Review Wheelskins leather steering wheel wrap

dinorider
12-02-2010, 11:21 AM
I recently purchased this and was so blown away by the quality of the product that I just had to share it here.

I'm sure that many others are quite annoyed by the cheapo hard, slippery, skinny plastic SRS airbag steering wheel from the 1990s Hondas, but do not know what to do with it besides getting another steering wheel.

But ok if you think those $20 steering wheel covers from supercrap auto are cool then maybe this isn't for you. Otherwise, read on.

I wanted a thicker rimmed, more luxurious feeling steering wheel, then I remembered that way back in the 1990s Honda Australia did sell a leather steering wheel wrap as a genuine accessory. Will set you back $70-80 in those days, and that's before installation. My mate bought one for his DC2 back then, unfortunately they are classed as 'out of production' by now.

The USDM DC2 Integra GS-R and Type R came with the leather already wrapped on the steering wheel straight from the dealership. For those who didn't know, USDM DC2Rs did not have the Momo tiller, just the regular SRS one wrapped with a leather rim.

So the alternative? I found out that Wheelskins from the USA made the OEM steering wheel leathers for Honda/Acura USA, and they do make them in many different sizes for many cars.

So I ordered one online. Ebay and many US based retailers stock them. Search and shop around for the best prices.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/DC2%20rear%20bumper%20fix/wheelskins03.jpg

It arrived and took me 2 hours to install. Why 2 hours? Because the leather is literally skin tight on the steering wheel. It needs to be stretched on, then each stitch pulled very hard to securely wrap it around the whole rim. There's like 100 pairs of holes to lace up all round, and you'll need to wear thick gloves or else the thread will cut and blister your fingers from all that 2 hours of tugging. This isn't a 10minute job, not by a longshot!

The package does include a roll of very strong linen thread and big sewing needle.

Initially there is a steep learning curve as you figure out how tight to lace and how to align everything up. But by halfway round you should get the hang of it. If you're not happy with the alignment and haven't completed the whole rim, it's a simple matter of unravelling it and lacing again.

The final results speak for themselves:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/DC2%20rear%20bumper%20fix/wheelskins02.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/DC2%20rear%20bumper%20fix/wheelskins01.jpg

I specially asked for red thread with the black leather, and it was sent with no extra charge.

The only difference this to the Out-of-production OEM Honda wrap is that there are lacing holes going over the spokes. The Honda specific ones had the areas crossing the spokes blank and without lacing holes.

The difference in feel is AWESOME. The thicker, softer, grippier rim has such a luxurious feel now. The leather is very high quality and supple. It shapes to the finger grip nubs behind the rim perfectly. And also because of this, you'll want the steering wheel absolutely clean and smooth before you put it on. Really clean it of all gunk before installing!

The material's finish is a smooth, luxurious satin texture and looks nothing like the shiny plasticky ones photographed on the Wheelskins website.

I appreciate that for some chaps who have not had the experience of driving many cars, the original plastic Tonka toy feeling steering wheel rim isn't much of a bother, but I've driven a bunch of Audis and Lexus in my time and the leather steering wheel is a real delight to hold, so I sought out the same for my Honda.

Other plus points are that the fitting is so secure that to the uninitiated it looks like original equipment, and the leather protects the original rim from permanent sun damage. American forumers have noted that the leathers lasts beyond five years, and even then when it gets old just buy another one.

Need proof that Wheelskins makes the OE Honda steering wheel covers? Here it is:

Original Honda installation instructions:
http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/steeringcover.pdf

Wheelskins installation instructions:
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b191/dinorider02/DC2%20rear%20bumper%20fix/wheelskins.jpg

The drawings are identical.

FAT VTI
12-02-2010, 09:18 PM
excellent .

Been looking for a solution to my crappy looking, shitty old leather steering wheel.

grifty
12-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Top work mate :thumbsup:

Are you able to provide a link of the ebay seller?

dinorider
13-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Top work mate :thumbsup:

Are you able to provide a link of the ebay seller?

You can start from here:

www.wheelskins.com

But there are a whole bunch of US based retailers selling cheaper. Just google wheelskins.

countonjohn
15-02-2010, 05:02 PM
dinorider, you are a lifesaver! My stock steering wheel is flaking like crazy and I was quoted 2oo bucks to get it re-dyed back to original condition. Or 400+ to get a new airbag steering wheel. Would love a Nardi wheel but that would delete the airbag and void my insurance. So Im currently using an $8 supercheap auto microfibre steering wheel that looks G-H-E-Y. Just ordered mine on Ebay for AU$50 from the US. Cheers!

dinorider
15-02-2010, 06:24 PM
dinorider, you are a lifesaver!

LOL. Cheers mate. Let me know if you need more tips on installing it when you get it. This thing is very sensitive to a good installation and requires mucho patience, a pair of work gloves (otherwise just tape up your fingers before you start), and a very clean steering wheel rim to start on.

TheSaint
25-02-2010, 01:43 AM
that looks amazing ... great write up!!

Lukey
27-02-2010, 01:47 PM
is it easy to palm??

dinorider
10-03-2010, 07:31 PM
is it easy to palm??

Don't know actually, I never do that. I always hold the steering wheel at the 10 past 2 position.

mocchi
10-03-2010, 08:35 PM
you mean 10 past 10?

dinorider
10-03-2010, 09:49 PM
you mean 10 past 10?

LOL. oops. yes.

j0el
27-03-2010, 02:32 AM
I've been looking for a product like this for a while. I came across this product once before but I wasn't impressed by pictures on their website. Your pictures sure do it more justice and has convinced me to buy it. I have looked around but delivery seems steep. Anyone know where to get it cheap?

dinorider
27-03-2010, 09:36 AM
I've been looking for a product like this for a while. I came across this product once before but I wasn't impressed by pictures on their website. Your pictures sure do it more justice and has convinced me to buy it.

Agree that their website pictures are actually quite awful. They look like shiny, tacky, bulky looking steering wheels. But I think it's just their photographers.

It's really much nicer in person and when shot at the proper camera angles in decent light. Afterall, these people make the OEM Acura/Honda steering wheel leather.

But avoid the cheesy multi-coloured/dimpled ones. The plain black is the best and most OEM looking.

androo
27-03-2010, 12:10 PM
Your steering wheel looks great compared to the packaging in the picture. Looks like they wrapped a red condom around a steering wheel...

Anyone who finds this cheap let everyone know! I'm looking for one. My steering wheel is pretty faded...

[Cukup-1]
29-03-2010, 08:29 PM
I got the black one, a really good purchase for worn out steering wheel to maintain that oem look.

success
04-05-2010, 10:14 PM
hey just wondering how this will turn out on a flaking steering wheel cos mine has really deteriorated because of the sun if you know what i mean..

androo
14-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Success, I'm sure it will turn out fine - It'll cover everything up so yeah... I just bought another car last weekend and the steering wheel was so sun damaged that I could rub the inside foam stuff and make it flake off!!! I think if I kept at it eventually I'd get through it. As a quick fix I went to Kmart and bought a $12 'leather' steering wheel cover - Looks nice in the car (but made my hand smell for about 4-5 days until the smell went away). I want to get one of these wheelskins in the future though when some cash starts flowing =] But yeah these 'fits most steering wheels' covers aren't as nice to drive with due to it being open in the middle. I would never get one if mine wasn't so deteriorated!!!

VTECACCORD
09-06-2010, 10:10 PM
This is another option for you guys. A little more expensive but worth it in my opinion

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?133786-Momo-DC2R-Steering-Wheel-Re-Trim-lots-of-pics

tinymoon
12-06-2010, 09:10 PM
Hi there

Is anyone out there can tell me is it legal (through Custom) to ship leather into Australia as i want to order the wheelskin.