PDA

View Full Version : 2nd service on d15b7

xclusive_eg8
12-02-2010, 11:46 AM
Ok guys time has come for the second service since owning my eg8..

I used honda filter and magnatec 10w-30 last service 5000k ago, the engine is now at 185xxxkm and runs well, is driven quite hard when walmed up and no problems at all with it..

What oil do you guys reccomend i use?? want full synthetic at good price (no job atm) and what viscosity??

btw do you guys normally use that oil flush liquid before draining oil?? i used it last time

chowdaa
12-02-2010, 10:41 PM
Oil flush are an excellent concept, added reassurance, removes sludge, keeps all the oil ports and galleries clean and removes a lot more of the old oil. If you found that you weren't burning/consuming oil then 10-30 would be a suitable weight, as it is already quite a low viscosity. It's all personal preference when it comes to oil manufacturer and a matter of testing them for yourself. I have been using Penrite in all my cars, no complaints, no placebo, just good oil. Their HPR range are all semi-synthetic and prices are the same from 5-40 to 40-70.

xclusive_eg8
12-02-2010, 11:05 PM
ok cool, will get some oil flusher then, I just feel i should use a thicker oil due to engine age and harshness of my driving lol...but i could be wrong

~Sp33~
12-02-2010, 11:10 PM
If you notice the car getting smokey, move up in oil weight.

xclusive_eg8
12-02-2010, 11:39 PM
well iv been told ONCE that my car blows a bit of smoke when close to red line..but the guy that told me that was the joker type lol....

was thinking some 15-40 would be good this time round

~Sp33~
12-02-2010, 11:51 PM
It's probably cheaper in the long run to use cheap oil and just replace the engine when it dies. D series engines are not exactly hard to come by.

Being a D series too, you could probably run it on sand, and it'll still do another 100,000kms

xclusive_eg8
13-02-2010, 12:21 AM
yes they are cheap but i want the civic to last forever lol, dont want to spend anymore on this car...really really want CL9 this year :) so saving up now

TheSaint
14-02-2010, 04:51 PM
i have an EG8 (D15b7 - sedan) with over 300k kms on the clock and it still runs as well as it did the day i bought it ... very good car

i run it on all genuine OEM fluids and parts =)

xclusive_eg8
15-02-2010, 11:41 PM
are the honda OEM oil synthetic?? i use honda OEM gear box oil, never used the engine oil cause they are bit expenive from honda

cheapdouchebag
15-02-2010, 11:45 PM
i run it on all genuine OEM fluids and parts =)

same here mate, i got a big plastic honda bag with all the oem bottles haha
for FREE TOO! my old man used to own my car, when he handed me the keys he gave me a big plastic bag full of small bottles of brake fluid power steering etc and TWO BOTTLES OF OEM ENGINE OIL :D

TheSaint
16-02-2010, 12:26 AM
i got to know the parts manager at my local dealer really well so i always get a good price

even if you did pay full price ... i dont try and save money on things that are this important lol

better to pay $5 more here than thousands down the track with engine problems