PDA

View Full Version : is this the end?

j.meng87
12-02-2010, 08:38 PM
hey guys, just notice what seem to be engine oil in my coolant. took it to 2 different mechanic and both told me i have different problem. 1 said head gasket and the other say crack cylinder or something along that line. Just wondering what are your opinion on the problem. would it be cheaper to get a replacement engine? what would one cost

CB7_OWNER
12-02-2010, 09:00 PM
h22a time =0

Do you have coolant/water in your engine? or only vice versa

j.meng87
13-02-2010, 06:24 PM
h22a swap is out of my budget. As for coolant in engine i dont have that problem. No cream milky residue on the oil cap at all

DC2-PWR
13-02-2010, 06:41 PM
http://www.tpub.com/content/constructiondumptrucks/TM-5-3805-254-34/css/TM-5-3805-254-34_23.htm

check it out

j.meng87
13-02-2010, 06:48 PM
Is there a way to test if i have a leaking head gasket or a crack cylinder block. The two mechanic that i took the car to, just open the radiator cap and say head gasket is gone/ crack cylinder both without doing any test.

OMG.JAI xD
13-02-2010, 09:37 PM
Is there a way to test if i have a leaking head gasket or a crack cylinder block. The two mechanic that i took the car to, just open the radiator cap and say head gasket is gone/ crack cylinder both without doing any test.

That is one of the very few easiest tests.
In an overflow type system if air bubbles come up from the radiator cap when its opened and the engine is running, the head gasket has a slight leak.

cracked cylinder block is very unlikely. Unless youve been thrashing the car. If not then its just a way for mechanics to make money off you.
They say they did the work but they only changed a head gasket. Charged you triple the amount. but at the same time, making you think you grabbed a bargain with such a cheap labour rate for fixing a cracked block.

typesaccord
13-02-2010, 09:46 PM
hey man , with the symptoms you have it could be many things ,the most common being blown head gasket , but could also be cracked bore (block) or head ,warped head, it could even be corrosion between water jacket and combustion camber due to no anti freeze over a long time . but what you need to know is this that only way to find out 100% is to remove the head and find out what the problem is . now remember ,if you are paying a mechanic to pull down the engine to find out the problem and you find out the head or block is cracked then you will have to replace the motor anyway and would have wasted $$ to find out , but if its just a head gasket then is cheaper to replace and no $$ has been wasted finding out. if the motor overheated badly then could be head gasket and if it was real bad then could be cracked/warped head as well , cracked bock could be no/low oil and or abuse of engine ,so to be able to give you better advice i would need to know as much as poss about the lead up to this problem , and other factors too such as how many KMs has the engine done? it may be time to look for a better (lower KMs ) engine:thumbsup::honda:

TODA AU
13-02-2010, 09:53 PM
Easy test...
You need one of these...
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/sjdiscounttools_2091_543058266
It's a "Combustion leak detector kit" & check blocks & head gaskets.

The blue liquid turns green/yellow with combustion gasses,
So you put it in the filler neck of the rad & test the bubbles.

Troy
13-02-2010, 10:02 PM
That thing looks like it needs the 18+ sign next to it!!!

So how's that thing supposed to know if the leak originated from a crack in the block or through the head gasket???

OMG.JAI xD
13-02-2010, 10:26 PM
That thing looks like it needs the 18+ sign next to it!!!

So how's that thing supposed to know if the leak originated from a crack in the block or through the head gasket???

It doesnt.
It just tells you there are exhaust gases in the cooling system. Which indicates something has failed.
Even if its a cracked blocked (internally). The cylinder head will need to come off anyway.

j.meng87
13-02-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks for the reply guys

That is one of the very few easiest tests.
In an overflow type system if air bubbles come up from the radiator cap when its opened and the engine is running, the head gasket has a slight leak....

Just did that test and there was a bit of air bubble. I'm hoping that this mean its a head gasket problem and not a crack/wrap head

hey man , with the symptoms you have it could be many things ,the most common being blown head gasket , but could also be cracked bore (block) or head ,warped head, it could even be corrosion between water jacket and combustion camber due to no anti freeze over a long time . but what you need to know......

I havent use the car since christmas but before i left it to "rest" i top up the fluids and check that everything is ok but did take note that i was using a bit more engine oil than usual. Got back from a drive on Thursday and check the fluids again notice the oil on the rad cap. Millage on the car now is 215XXX. Since owning the car for 4yrs i've change the coolant twice using oem coolant, car never had any over heating problem even with the current problem and i've never abused it. Hope this help.