PDA

View Full Version : need help.. how to lower ew2 front suspension

erwinew2
13-02-2010, 06:28 PM
hi guys, i just acquired a 1986 honda civic 2dr ew2 , i would like to lower the front suspension but really dont know what to do,, , i hope someone can give me tips on how to do it.cheers

anjin
13-02-2010, 10:51 PM
Assuming its a torsion bar front suspension like the gen 1 crx and integra - ie, a gen 3 civic.. You should get an instant drop by slacking off the height adjustment bolts that are attached to the torsion tubes. Jack up the front and have a careful look at how the torsion tubes work - they are the tubes that run from the subframe towards the rear about 30 cms, along the floor pan rail. The bolt is on the arm. You can adjust the height up to 30-40mm in less than a minute a side. Its great.
The more permanent method is indexing the torsion bars. Go to redpepperracing.com, 1gteg.org etc for detailed descriptions. Takes about half a day and normal garage tools. Getting the torsion bars back in at the right spot is a bit of an art, so be warned.

The rear requires adjustable spring perches and shorter springs, or shorter springs by themselves, or ghetto mode - a cut-off wheel. Again, advice is on those sites.