PDA

View Full Version : Freaking Rain!!!!!! Clutch?? Gearbox???

dwn_boi
13-02-2010, 07:25 PM
As alot of you know the floods last night were bullcrap!!!

Anyway I went through about 3 massif puddles or lakes more like it (just because they look shallow doesn't mean they are!!!) and I felt the clutch somewhat slipping, like wasn't gripping properly and felt like it was on verge of stalling and I turned the car of to go get a feed for about an hour and turned it back on and it felt the same, kinda slipping...

Today at about 6pm I've started my car and it wouldn't like I physically couldnt get it into gear, so I turned the car off and tried changing gears witht the motor off and it was sweet so I put it in reverse and tried starting it (I picked reverse as I was parked in my garage and just incase it jumped forward I didn't want to redecorate the garage lOl mum would link it at me!! )
luckily I did because when I turned the engine on it jumped back and I just cut the engine off.

now its stuck in reverse, I can't pull it out...

Is it the clutch? The gearbox? Maybe the Master Slave Cylinder? I'm so frustrated!! I know I was due to get a new clutch soon and I've had a minor leak from the Slave cylinder before but that was fixed so I'm not sure maybe water got into there??

I checked the oil, no milkyness so I doubt the water is in the engine though must be something to do with the transmision :(

I was going to call nrma but I hought I'd ask some advice here lOl more than likely more helpful than NRMA :P

Thanks heaps guys!!

(I'm about to go out so I will reply to posts later tonight!! xxxX)

fromdeeeast
13-02-2010, 08:12 PM
Most likely you got water into your clutch lines and you have water in your clutch reserviour (can't spell).

You most likely need to bleed your clutch lines and if water got in, the slight chance they would need to be replaced.

- Open your bonnet
- Look at where you radiator is
- In front of it, should be a line with a nipple thing on the end
- Get a spanner, I think its a 10mm, loosen it and let some fluid come out, probably water/air and brake fluid,
- Get in the car and depress the clutch and the fluid will come out, most likely clutch won't bounce up, bring it up and push down.
- Tighten the nipple up and press clutch get someone to loosen the nipple and fluid will come out.
- Top reservoir with brake fluid to full and continue, do this until you gain firmness in your clutch.

Im not 100% sure, but most likely this it and it won't hurt to try it.

Just make sure not to get brake fluid on paint

OMG.JAI xD
13-02-2010, 10:39 PM
If you say your slave was leaking its probably gone.
Just happen to let go while it was raining.

Try bleeding the clutch hydraulic system. (by means of force bleeding. Pump. Hold down, bleed. Repeat).

If you get pedal back. You found the problem. There is a hydraulic leak in your system. Find it. Fix it.

dwn_boi
13-02-2010, 11:02 PM
hey thanks heaps guys for your helpI appreciate it!

Also if we need to get it on a hoist orsomething, how will I get it out of the garage? It's jammed in the reverse gear :(

grifty
13-02-2010, 11:58 PM
just use a trolley jack and some jack stands

dwn_boi
14-02-2010, 12:05 AM
the nipple, its rounded and its green, reight infront of the radiator yea I think I know the one your talking about, I'll have a crack at it tomoz

JasonGilholme
14-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Heres the procedure that i use:

step 1. find another person to push on the pedal about 5-6 times and hold it there.

step 2. remember that clear tube on the nipple there?? make sure the end is in the bottom of the clear bottle this prevent air getting back into the system when you close the nipple.

step 3. open the nipple and let the fluid and air out. it should bubble out means air is leaving the sys.

step 4. close the nipple do the 2 more times and make sure you check and add fluid in the master cyl.

step 5. when the bubbleing stops and fluid is going out in a steady stream means you system in now air free!! your padel push should be close to factory or better.

RandyRhydah
14-02-2010, 06:29 AM
i may be thinking weirdly here but is it possible she submerged part of the clutch itself? that may be able to cause a problem couldent it.

aaronng
14-02-2010, 09:57 AM
i may be thinking weirdly here but is it possible she submerged part of the clutch itself? that may be able to cause a problem couldent it.

If submerged, it should just slip and not jam in gear. I would bleed the clutch line like explained above first and then go from there.

dwn_boi
14-02-2010, 02:10 PM
ok i managed to rock the car back and forth and pull it out of reverse gear yay thats a start! right now just bled the lines thru the nipple but no luck still wont go into gear, i'll keep updated thanks for the input!!

dwn_boi
14-02-2010, 03:51 PM
pew pew!!!

Its fixed!!!

We bled the lines and still didnt work though after we gave the car another bit of a push and a shove just in case something might have jammed and low and behold she shifted gears!!
thanks everyone for your help I really appreciate it :D