PDA

View Full Version : EG4 Civic Exhaust/Engine

GenesisEG
14-02-2010, 08:25 AM
Hey guys,

First, I apologise if any of this has been covered elsewhere, I've been searching the forums (amongst other things) for an answer but nothing really answers my rather unique situation.

I just purchased an EG4 yesterday, and there's only one issue I have with it...

For some reason, the previous owner had a 4" cannon installed. I don't like it, my wife absolutely hates it, and I figured it was as good an excuse as any to get something decent.

I was looking at Spoon exhaust systems, but I found nothing that meets my needs. I need something quiet. The N1 is like 110dB and the N1 street is about 90dB. Something quieter than that would be better.

I'm now looking at the Mugen twin loop, but I'm not even sure if they made one for the EG hatch models. I've searched for quite a while but I can't find anything.

The other dilemma I'm having, is that I'm planning on upgrading from the 1.5L EFI engine to a B18CR sometime in the future.

I am not sure if the headers for the 1.5 are going to sit right with the 1.8. I don't want to spend a fortune on good quality parts for the 1.5 if I'm going to have to replace them when I do the upgrade.

If, however, the headers will sit right for the 1.8 as well, then I'll go ahead and do the full exhaust right now.

It's probably not that much of a technical problem, but I hate double-handling. I have to take care of this noise problem immediately, and if that means buying a cat-back for the moment and doing the front later, so be it, but I just want to get everything in order in my mind so I can prioritise and organise my upgrades.

For the record, I'm not after huge power. I'm going for response, this is a touge machine. I'm more concerned about torque, response, handling, braking... I've moved to this style of driving from the big power, heavily modified V8's I used to drive, so as long as the exhaust I get suits that responsive driving style, I'll be happy. I don't want a K20, and I don't want to turbo or supercharge it. A mild-tuned B18CR will be more than enough power for what I want to do.

Thanks in advance guys.

chowdaa
14-02-2010, 08:48 AM
Welcome to Ozhonda first of all,
I have always had my exhaust made up, as long as the size is suited to the engine, shouldn't have an issue.
There is an B18C install in the DIY section by ECU-MAN. There is a picture of the exhaust and how they dont bolt up.
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30312&highlight=b18c
http://b16a2.kicks-ass.net/diy/eg-b18c/b214.jpg
I heard good things from the twinloop and the concept is awesome, size might be an issue? I have played with varex mufflers with my cars, super quiet muffler but issue with intermittent unwanted rattle from the canon style and size is also an issue.

Hope this helps in a way.

GenesisEG
14-02-2010, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome!

Regarding the B18C install, there's a company near me called JDM Yard, and not too long ago, I got a quote for a B18C + ITR gearbox, installed for $5,000. That's the drive-away price.

Sounded like a good deal to me, so I figured it was worth doing.

However, I also figured that I should check to see if there are any common problems with doing the swap, otherwise I'll just stick a B16 in there and tune it up. Not as good, but probably less problematic also.

This car will be a daily driver, at least until I get my wife the 4 door (somewhere down the line).

Regarding the exhaust piping, there's a place near me called Best Mufflers, and from what I've seen, they have excellent custom workmanship. I guess it wouldn't be out of the question to stick a decent muffler on and get them to make up the headers and pipes to suit. Not really what I wanted to do, but if need be...

I hope the Mugen fits. I really want something that sounds good but doesn't make too much noise at low to mid RPM's. High RPM's doesn't matter so much, as I'll likely be alone or with mates when I really open it up anyway. My main concern is my wife, she hates the loud exhausts, and since she'll be driving it too, I want it to behave as near to a stocker as possible for the purpose of daily driving.

If someone has actually tried putting the Mugen twin loop muffler on an EG hatch, please let me know. At this point, it looks like the item best suited to my needs.

Thanks for the swift reply, appreciate the feedback.

TypeG
14-02-2010, 10:21 AM
try a xforce twin loop.....

90LAN
14-02-2010, 10:39 AM
you will just need a jdm 2.5 triangle flange to suit any jdm cat back
take it to any exhaust shop and get them to modify your existing cat to suit teh jdm exhaust
jdm exhaust are all the same size and lenght depending on car off course
once you get a the b18c you only need jdm headers and a jdm cat or a cat with a 2.5' donut flange and the 2.5' triangle flange
everything else is bolt up not need to take to any exhaust shop to get custom work

at this stage i would just run the stock oem exhaust for your car as there is no improvement with a new exhaust

just wait to do conversion and get the exhaust at the smae time

yes mugen make one for a eg's
spoon street exhaust is quiet if you didnt know

GenesisEG
14-02-2010, 11:14 AM
LAN, your car is almost exactly what I had envisioned as the end result of my project. Even the anodized TE37's and the seats...

As for the exhaust, I need to do at least the muffler for now, the current one is unbearable.

Spoon street is quiet? I wish I could find a car around here with one so I could hear it at real volume.

TheSaint
14-02-2010, 04:47 PM
the spoon street (oval barrel) is a nice exhaust as well ... other than that i would go a mugen or x-force twinloop

JDMyard are pure win, bought alot of stuff them from the trader section =)

if you are planning on going with a B18c than i wouldnt touch the D15b7 thats in the car already - the only worth while mods for that is a turbo kit or some sort of single cam-slam setup

let us know how you go =)

GenesisEG
14-02-2010, 05:13 PM
Mm, I had no intention of touching the D15, even if I don't go the B18, I'd up to a B16 and leave it at that. I grabbed the D15 because of a clean body, fairly sound car for its age. The engine itself, provided it was EFI, was of no real concern to me.

I think I'll go for the Spoon Street, and add a hotdog or two if it's still too loud.

I'd leave it stock, if it was stock, but the guy that owned it before me had the system installed because his dad is sponsored by a muffler company and he got it for free or something. It's really not designed for the car, it's typical rice.

Sounds like more than enough people have done a B18C conversion before, so hopefully I don't have too many headaches. I'll just have to tee it up when I'm ready to go.

Thanks for the advice guys.