PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust rattling help and advice please?

typerdevil
14-02-2010, 03:40 PM
Hi

I currently own a DC2R and i have a Buddyclub Pro Spec III cat back system and now i've had enough of this buzzing/rattling sound when i rev up to 3000rpm+ normal driving too, i've located the problem, it's the Resonator and i have checked if it was hitting against the underbody or heatshield, so it wasn't hitting anything under my car :(

So to my questions now lol

Would it be wise to cut-out the resonator and replace it with 2.5" straight pipe?

And How much would it cost generally to get it done?

I'm located in Victoria - Melbourne

beeza
14-02-2010, 03:47 PM
No it will be too noisy,annoyingly noisy.

So U are definate it's the resonator?

If so then replace it.It could be a nut/bolt that's come loose...

typerdevil
14-02-2010, 03:51 PM
okay thanks for telling me that and yes it is the resonator makes an awful buzzing sound at the back of my car, when i gear down , so yeah i'll have to either replace with a new resonator not sure how much it will cost but it should be fairly cheap.....

beeza
14-02-2010, 04:19 PM
Yeah,best to replace it then,should be $150 tops!

They will just have one at the muffler shop.

Can someone tell me if a hi flow resonator is a worthwhile mod?

mnc
15-02-2010, 12:34 AM
You sure its not your cat dying on you?

slimx
15-02-2010, 12:43 AM
i doubt its a cat issue, my cats dead.. n i get no rattling at all.

_bORdO_
15-02-2010, 09:45 AM
Cats require food and water guys! otherwise YES they will die...

now on a more serious note - how do you know if your cats dead? ive never heard of this before....

RoryAlexander
15-02-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey mate, could you post a clip of the rattle in action?

typerdevil
15-02-2010, 10:22 PM
i wish i had a video camera to take a vid of the noise, 1st it was my catalyic convertor's heatsheild rattling fixed that with no problems.

At one point i put this system of mine on Firesport(dot)com(dot) au
to trade it for another exhaust system, ah well.... :(

Update Today - it's getting worse, it's making a thudding sound + plus the awful buzzing......

I'm going to take to muffler shop this week, next time round i won't buy a secondhand exhaust system since all the stares i get driving it around is embarrassing.....:(

6thgear
16-02-2010, 08:58 AM
they could be admiring your type r yo!

definitely take it into the shop to get it checked...much easier than trying to diagnose yourself. and they'd have to work on it sooner or later anyway. did you install yourself or did the shop install it?

oh and i dont think it would cost much to replace the resonator if you had to. it should be under 100 for sure unless you had other stuff needing doing. get a quote at the shop!

anyhow, good luck!

i wish i had a video camera to take a vid of the noise, 1st it was my catalyic convertor's heatsheild rattling fixed that with no problems.

At one point i put this system of mine on Firesport(dot)com(dot) au
to trade it for another exhaust system, ah well.... :(

Update Today - it's getting worse, it's making a thudding sound + plus the awful buzzing......

I'm going to take to muffler shop this week, next time round i won't buy a secondhand exhaust system since all the stares i get driving it around is embarrassing.....:(

VTECMACHINE
16-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Sorryyy... but I have to LOL at shocking BuddyClub quality. hahahaha....

Had the same problem with my BuddyClub SpecIII pro exhaust. The mid-resinator on the B-pipe blew out and rattled after 1000km's. Goodluck if you want to claim 'warrenty' from AAI (BuddyClub). Warrenty, goodwill or customer service doesn't really exist for that company.

tOniies
16-02-2010, 10:28 PM
I started my car early in the morning, and I get the same problem. I found out it wasn't my cat as well which i initially thought, but it's one one my springs holding the exhaust together. Might wanna get them replaced and see how they go

mnc
17-02-2010, 12:21 AM
its not your spring chong. Check your resonator. I betcha theres a shit load of particales in there going off.

slimx
17-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Cats require food and water guys! otherwise YES they will die...

now on a more serious note - how do you know if your cats dead? ive never heard of this before....

car blows out heaps of smoke.. i thouht sumfn was fukd..
had a mechanic do a checkup.. found out the cats dead? lol

Appearntly they die after 10-12 years. thats wat i was told.

trentd
17-02-2010, 10:20 AM
wouldn't be that loud without the resonator

tOniies
18-02-2010, 11:05 PM
lol michael, man remember how long it took us to put the exhaust together because of the coils? LOL My car is gg/

trentd
19-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Check the rubber grommet things over the exhaust and see if any are broken thats usually the cause for a type of rattle