PDA

View Full Version : Rear parcel rattle in 8th Gen Accord

bono
15-02-2010, 10:31 AM
Hi all,

After many months of frustration from the annoying rattles coming from the rear parcel (rear speaker/rear windscreen), I've finally decided to have a closer look at the problem myself. Here is what I've digested so far.

Possible causes;

1. Design fault - Cheap, thin flexible plastic used. Allows too much flex and vibration. A thicker, harder plastic would have been better. Maybe a sign of cost cutting here.

2. Distance between the edge of the plastic and rear windscreen too close. Found that rattles are much worse on very hot days when the internal temperature of the car is high.

3. I have window tinting on the rear windcreen and it seems that the film has lifted slightly on the bottom close to the rear parcel. This is enough to cause contact with the rear parcel plastic edge, causing a very annoying tacky/sticky noise. Worsens on hot days also.

My solution so far;

1. Place a solid half inch thick foam between the windscreen and the plastic. Hopefully this will stop the contact with the window tint film and also deaden any annoying rattles.

However, cosmetically, the foam (orange colour) insert does not look that great as it is slightly visible from the outside but it's not as annoying as the rattles.

I've only implemented this today so I'll monitor it in the next few days and let everyone know how it goes. Otherwise, I'll chase it up with the Honda dealer.

Do anyone have any other suggestions on the possible causes and remedies to the rattles?

I'm overall happy with the car. The build quality on the rest of the car is good. It's a shame the rear parcel is not of the same quality.

aaronng
15-02-2010, 01:10 PM
I have parcel shelf rattles in my Accord Euro when I play loud music and I have narrowed it to the plastic around the third brake light rattling against the windscreen or the metal underneath in the parcel shelf frame.

bono
15-02-2010, 02:47 PM
I have parcel shelf rattles in my Accord Euro when I play loud music and I have narrowed it to the plastic around the third brake light rattling against the windscreen or the metal underneath in the parcel shelf frame.

Thanks for that! I agree. Most of the rattling is coming from the plastic near the centre brake light. Didn't realise it was also a problem on the Euro.

snajper
05-03-2010, 07:50 PM
Hehee,
Very common issue with new accords along with brake pads.

Danzvtil
06-06-2010, 10:37 PM
This is a known problem fixed by our honda dealer at the 10k service, I assume honda HQ will use this feedback when they upgrade or redesign this part of the car.

aaronng
07-06-2010, 07:39 AM
This is a known problem fixed by our honda dealer at the 10k service, I assume honda HQ will use this feedback when they upgrade or redesign this part of the car.

What did they do to fix your Accord?

Danzvtil
07-06-2010, 07:46 PM
What did they do to fix your Accord?

From memory, they disassembled the parcel shelf and applied foam insulation to the "contact point".No noise since.....

bono
07-06-2010, 11:10 PM
A few weeks ago i brought my Accord for the 10,000km service and brought up the issue of the rattles to the service department. They also applied some foam insuation under the rear parcel but it hasn't helped. It still rattles like hell! It seems that there definition of rattle compared to mine is very different. I was pretty disappointed that they did not manage to fix the problem. looks like I might have to try my luck with another dealer and see how I go. :(