PDA

View Full Version : South Australian Registration help

scotty_1989
15-02-2010, 12:25 PM
Hey,

was just wondering if anyone could help me out. I am looking at buying a 2000 Vti-R, that has had a turbo kit put on it. The car is in victoria, however i am in south Australia.

I called transport SA, to ask about vechile regulations as in order to register it here in SA i have to pass it through a vechile check. However apperently its illegal to turbo a civic. What a joke.

Is there anyone in SA that has bought a turbo honda? And if so how did you get through the vechile check?

cheers

ECU-MAN
15-02-2010, 02:56 PM
remove the turbo, have the vehicle inspected, then refit the turbo

scotty_1989
15-02-2010, 03:05 PM
didnt really wonna do that. Too expensive to remove it all and then get it re-fitted and retuned. Anyone else no any methods? Does an engineers report get you in the clear?

ECU-MAN
15-02-2010, 03:20 PM
you dont have to have it retuned

you only other option is to get an engineers certificate, and the car must meet emmision standards.

good luck

scotty_1989
15-02-2010, 03:32 PM
yeah i was thinking engineers certificate. However the car has an external gate, are they illegal? cause its sitting right up top for everyone to see lol.

I thought you would need a retune though?

henry2264
15-02-2010, 11:24 PM
getting the engineers cert is very expensive when you add in the new ecu (has to be a factory locked style so it can't be retuned) all the emissions tests you'll have to get done over and over again until you reach emissions standards. the exhaust manifold may need to be replaced if its not of high enough quality (stainless steel or mild steel tubing is very hard to approve, quality cast iron is what they want) a external gate is iffy because they prefer a internal setup because its harder to make a screamer pipe (or so they think)

it would be a lot cheaper to buy the parts needed to return it to factory spec (intake pipe and airbox, exhaust manifold and factory ecu and whatever bits and pieces removed in the turbo conversion) that way if your ever picked up and sent to regency again you'll know your guaranteed to pass and most of these parts can be picked up at a import wreckers

scotty_1989
16-02-2010, 12:02 AM
Cheers for the advice mate... Sa has the shitest road rules known. Ok So
u rekon convert it back... Any idea at a guess how
much the parts will cost? The guy says he has all the spares apart from
the stock exhaust. At current it has a greddy ecu so
im guessingnif I were to do all this i wouldn't have to get any retunes done etc etc. Man it sounds like a big job.

henry2264
16-02-2010, 11:33 AM
yeah it can be a big job but will save you in the long run from hassles and make the car easier to sell on later. if you go to the big wreckers on north rd (cant remember the name but theyre the one in the tv ads) they should have anything you need if not they will usually track it down for you. once you break the job down into parts its really not that big, its a matter of unplugging the greddy ecu and putting back the vtir one, take the turbo and manifold out and then replace the intake track the rest is just details.

if you want to save cash instead of going for the genuine vtir model exhaust look for the base model exhaust from the cat back (something most people will sell cheap)

no retune needed if you have the factory ecu in place

find one of the service manuals for your car and it will help you if you get stuck

SA road laws are pretty much the same as other states its just if you get defected not only do you have to clear that but have the entire car re-approved (its because theres no yearly roadworthies to keep cars legal). ive found if you dont act like a twit even driving a ott modded car the cops here will usually leave you alone and unless you have a big shiny fmic poking out the front most wont ask to look under the bonnet

scotty_1989
16-02-2010, 01:46 PM
Cheers for the advice again man greatly appreciated.... I'll let you knw wat mods it has cause it's gonna be a big job.... It has obviously a turbo with an external gate, fmic, upgraded injectors(wld I have to remove them for the stock ecu?) and a full turbo back exhaust system.

Another question, with all the oil/water lines to the turbo etc how do u fix them up?

Cheers for your help mate

Hooman
16-02-2010, 09:47 PM
not worth it unless for some reason you really want this car......the alternative would be to keep the car registered in VIC if you have relations living there......

scotty_1989
16-02-2010, 09:55 PM
I really like the car.... Plus I wld like to get some hands on experience with fidling with turbos... From wat I understand most the parts are bolt on anyways. The only thing I'm unsure about is if I wld have to put stock
injectors back in and what do u do with the water/oil lines for the turbo.

henry2264
16-02-2010, 10:16 PM
you can get some block off pieces for the hoses from most hose places for few bucks

if your lucky the injectors will have the same inpedance as factory ones and they could be used with the factory ecu.

im starting to agree with hooman here cause it sounds like this car has more than just a simple bolt on turbo setup but a more comprehensive setup. either way you go its gonna cost you a good amount of time, money and effort just to get it registered in SA. you may need to look at saving the money and buying a local car and then put the money into that then you will have the stock parts to convert it back to stock if needed.

scotty_1989
16-02-2010, 10:25 PM
like i said id like to play around a but with a turbo anyways.... The only thing that would cost me wld be a stock exhaust system, other than that i will have all stock parts. You guys rekon its a too bigger job though hey?

Hooman
16-02-2010, 11:30 PM
IMO it's not worth it. Also find out from regency if the car has to be running or can it be towed to the inspection place. If it can be towed then you wouldn't have to change things like ECU and injectors, just remove all the visual turbo stuff.

henry2264
17-02-2010, 12:00 PM
if its nothing more than a bolt on setup and your willing to get your hands dirty go for it