PDA

View Full Version : Please HELP! Car doesn't start!

KonnecXion
16-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Hello Guys,

I own a new 94 DC4 and I've ran into some trouble today... My car didn't start... I only bought this car for a month and I've never owned a Honda.

The symptoms were:

Car starts 90% of the time but the starter motor and the battery is in good health. However, I turned the ignition today and the engine won't kick over. So I was stranded outside. :( The starter motor just keeps turning and there was one time it started, but it stalled in a few seconds (like the car was running out of fuel)...

Anyway, I had someone look at it on the spot and told me that it could be my fuel pump gone. While he was extensively checking to find out what was wrong, he removed all the fuses under the dash and plugged them back in again. The car started with some shuttering. He said that my fuel relay could be the culprit instead. I've done some search on the forums, and people have stated that this is mainly a 'fuel/main relay'. Is this really an issue? If so, can someone advise me on how to fix it? I got quoted about $190 for the fuel pump and another $80 for labor.

Sorry for the lengthy post, I just want to provide as much detail as I could to get some help.

Thanks

beeza
16-02-2010, 07:46 PM
http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31796&highlight=icm

Sounds like it also could be the ICM.

KonnecXion
16-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I forgot to add that temperature didn't effect the difficulty of starting it. Even when the car is cold there are times it starts in one go. I am just afraid that one day I am driving the car will shut down. Desperately need some advice.

Cheers.

beeza
16-02-2010, 07:52 PM
Check for fault codes 1st:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8218&highlight=faults

Here's a coil and ICM test:

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56224&highlight=icm

trentd
17-02-2010, 10:24 AM
190 for a fuel pump is a rip off and 80 bucks labour is crap.
the walbro 255l/ph pump is 180 retail.
There not hard to do, you can just look at it and you will reliese how easy it really is. the fuel pump is located under the back seats, right in the middle.
There not hard to do.

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah I've seen someone pull it out so I know where it sits.
Well I had a look at the main relay today and I found where it is, except I need to get my 10mm socket. Theres a weird yellow pipe blocking the bolt. It looks like a yellowish old water pipe that crosses on top of the bolt and out into the guards. Does anyone know what this is?

Another question:
Do the two radiator fans switch on together when the car is hot or only one? I disconnected the switch at the thermostat and found out that the two of my fans turn on when I bypass my thermostat switch. I've read on the forums saying that only ONE fan should go on (drivers side) when the car is hot and the passenger side only comes on for A/C?

Can someone help me out with this? The wires coming out of my radiator fan switch from the thermostat has frayed, and I need to rewire them, but when I checked if my fans turn on, they did.... both of them at the same time...

190 for a fuel pump is a rip off and 80 bucks labour is crap.
the walbro 255l/ph pump is 180 retail.
There not hard to do, you can just look at it and you will reliese how easy it really is. the fuel pump is located under the back seats, right in the middle.
There not hard to do.

beeza
17-02-2010, 05:43 PM
Ignoring people will get U nowhere in life.

Besides,your better than that!

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 06:40 PM
ignoring people?

Ignoring people will get U nowhere in life.

Besides,your better than that!

beeza
17-02-2010, 07:11 PM
Yeah,U asked for help.

I gave U help.

Then U asked for more help,U did not reply to the first lot of help that was given,so then I'm like - 'I dont wanna help this guy cause he just ignored me'.

Others maybe thinking,why should I help this guy,he just ignores U.

Respect goes a hell of a long way in life,just a heads up!

:)

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 07:29 PM
Apologies for my rudeness mate, I didn't mean that. I am trying the links you suggested and I haven't been able to get far as I am stuck at certain parts...

Anyway, I did reply saying that there is a hose getting in the way of the main relay which was a response to your first suggested post...

Yeah,U asked for help.

I gave U help.

Then U asked for more help,U did not reply to the first lot of help that was given,so then I'm like - 'I dont wanna help this guy cause he just ignored me'.

Others maybe thinking,why should I help this guy,he just ignores U.

Respect goes a hell of a long way in life,just a heads up!

beeza
17-02-2010, 07:50 PM
Apologies for my rudeness mate, I didn't mean that. I am trying the links you suggested and I haven't been able to get far as I am stuck at certain parts...

Anyway, I did reply saying that there is a hose getting in the way of the main relay which was a response to your first suggested post...

Thanks mate.

Internet forums can be confusing at times,I think this is one of them cause U did indirectly respond to my reply.

So I'm sorry bout' that!

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 07:54 PM
lol yeah I'm sorry about that, I'll learn...
Anyhow, would you happen to know something like that exist? looks like a small transparent hose. (went yellow I think cause it was old...) but it was blocking the 10mm bolt so I yanked it out. When I yanked it, the hose came out in two. :S

Thanks mate.

Internet forums can be confusing at times,I think this is one of them cause U did indirectly respond to my reply.

So I'm sorry bout' that!

beeza
17-02-2010, 08:04 PM

I dunno,nothing comes to mind,might need to get a pic up.

astrob0y_
17-02-2010, 08:25 PM
Cheapest option is to borrow a mates/someones main relay to see if thats the issue

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I am from Sydney and staying in VIC temporarily so I do not know anyone who drives a DC2 around here letting it be a friend. But thanks for the suggestion! :)

Cheapest option is to borrow a mates/someones main relay to see if thats the issue

beeza
17-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Yeah it's annoying!

The only other option apart from reparing it is to grab the parts U think it is from the wreckers cheaply and swap them in to find the culprit.

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 08:57 PM
Now I'm gonna ask which wrecker is full of integra stuff in VIC? :p

I am located in Keilor East and I've been here for a month now. There is a local one around here on yellow pages called 'Auto Parts Recyclers', I am gonna go check tomorrow.

Yeah it's annoying!

The only other option apart from reparing it is to grab the parts U think it is from the wreckers cheaply and swap them in to find the culprit.

beeza
17-02-2010, 09:07 PM
Hey,no worries!

Keep the questions comin' man!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113864

KonnecXion
17-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Thanks man, all the good stuff is located EAST of Melbourne. No chance of me going after work as it'll be closed by the time I get there... Thanks again!

Hey,no worries!

Keep the questions comin' man!

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113864

astrob0y_
18-02-2010, 08:30 PM
I am from Sydney and staying in VIC temporarily so I do not know anyone who drives a DC2 around here letting it be a friend. But thanks for the suggestion! :)

im pretty sure eg's use same main relay

KonnecXion
22-02-2010, 05:32 PM
Beeza -
I've re-soldered all the points in the main relay and its looking good. Cheers!

However, while I was re-assembling the car I saw this tube I was talking about. I think its the drainage tube for water running down the windscreen? I am not sure if that is it... Is it suppose to run right next to the main relay? Right now I am having a hard time trying to reconnect it so I left it dangling...

beeza
23-02-2010, 04:22 PM
It sounds like the air pipe,it ducts the air from the vents under the wipers,down the tube into the filter then the vents.

U can clean the filter while ya there :)

http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=122159