PDA

View Full Version : Radiator/ thermostat problem

zachge
16-02-2010, 09:46 PM
My temp has been up a bit lately so thought I'd have a look. Put car on and let idle for about 10mins (plenty of warmup time) and no radiator fan coming on. Felt the pipes/rad tanks and top pipe and tank were scalding hot whole bottom pipe/tank were quite cool in comparison. This leads me to believe thaty radiator is blocked and my thermostat may be stuffed also. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Cheers guys :)

Troy
16-02-2010, 10:35 PM
If you don't know what you are doing, it's best to get it checked by the professionals. Mine got quite hot recently and took it to Red Devil Radiators, the fully flushed it out and it was blocked up pretty bad so I needed a whole new radiator.

Also one fan would not spin at all, when I manually tried to spin it the fan was like stuck and needed replacing as well.

In the end not cheap, but obviously can end up a lot more expensive if you don't get it properly checked.

This is for my VTI I haven't had very long, so I didn't know what kind of condition it was in.

zachge
17-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Ok thanks for the pointer mate but I think I am just going to find a second Hand radiator and give the whole lot a good flush. See how I go with that.

Then see how my thermostat feels after..

Any other pointers let me kno

cheers guys

DLO01
17-02-2010, 12:30 PM
If you left it at Idle for 10min it wouldn't have been enough time for the thermostat to open and fan to kick in. Leave it longer or take it for a drive around the block, load and rpm's warm it up quicker ie a few mins compared to 15mins at idle. Drive the car back in to the garage, stop and fan should kick in, if not wait a minute. Check top and bottom hose again too.