PDA

View Full Version : EK CXI information ?

tiksie
17-02-2010, 07:01 AM
Hey guys, looking at a EK in a few days, just wondering if anyone has certain things to look out for ? Not very familiar with EK's, though I know a crap load about EG's after owning so many lol.

Since it's a CXi, obviously means it has manual windows, is it a pain to convert it to electric windows ?

Points to look out for ? It has a little over 200,000kms on it

Thanks guys & girls

EK1.6LCIV
17-02-2010, 07:26 AM
lol, dont convert to electric windows, you have solved one of the many woes of the ek doors which is poorly designed regulators which have the tendancy to fail, drop a window in the cavity, etc

cxi doesn't have abs, good for future upgrades as it's one less thing to remove or play with

all you'd want really is a cup holder from a vti

200,000 is nothing, a bud of mine recently bought one with 400,000ks on it with previous owners just servicing it when need be, in the USA many owners clock the magic 500,000mile mark

look out for:

*broken cv boots (inner and outter)
*drive shaft noise
*master cylinder leak in cabin/low reservior level (I'd replace it now as they don't usually make it this long and do the salve as well)
*rear trailing arm bushes (they crack and fail then bugger up alignment, and last about as long as a timing belt change)
*shifter bushings
*sump gasket leak

that's about it apart from the usual mot style check I use to look at cars (refer to a haynes manual)

tiksie
17-02-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks for that EK1.6LCIV, so it's not worth converting to electric window's huh ? Why didn't Honda make it mandatory for all cars to have electronic window's in cars after '96 :( fuuuuuuu.

Do all EK's come out with Air con ?

Is the CXi pre-facelift model ? If so, to fit facelift headlights and tail lights, would I need a facelift bar ?

flipfire
17-02-2010, 09:38 AM
96-98 is prefacelift

pretty sure they all come with aircon

Tail lights and rear bar is direct fit

If you want facelift headlights you also need the facelift bonnet, fenders and front bar.

EK1.6LCIV
17-02-2010, 09:41 AM
they have 98-00 cxi's

honda wouldve went for power windows to match their competitors, not that it was ever a good idea for that model, lol

they all had air con when sold in oz

I wouldn't bother with doing a facelift swap on this model as theyre pretty easy to come by in ethier 96-98 or 99-00

Raztaz
17-02-2010, 10:29 AM
they all had air con when sold in oz

Not necessarily. Redefine doesn't have Air con and a girl at my work doesnt either.
I think they were dealer options

and CXi also has drum brakes on the rear not discs

EK1.6LCIV
17-02-2010, 01:05 PM
dont recall any leaving brisbane without ac fitted as they were a hard enough car to sell as it was new

countonjohn
17-02-2010, 08:49 PM
The Cxi also don't come with front AND rear sway bars (Gli came with front sways). Another thing to consider if you are planning on handling mods down the line. Of course you could fit both front and rear aftermarket sway bars at the same time in the future but would be x2 the cost I guess. Or you could fit a stock Gli front sway bar on but would need to swap out your front LCAs as well Im pretty sure.

MikeyG
17-02-2010, 08:55 PM
its not hard to put power windows aytac.... get gli conversion and its plug and play..

ek cxi.. no tacho.. get gli

OR

just get a fukin gli and be other and done with it!

Raztaz
17-02-2010, 09:38 PM
i

just get a fukin gli and be other and done with it!

+1, get a GLi lol

redefine
17-02-2010, 10:19 PM
cxi has no aircon, no power anything, except for steering. i like it that way (and i took out my power steering too) but its up to the individual.

air con was an option for cxi, standard on gli and above....also the rear discs are a bitch.

first thing i did to it was a gli cluster swap, as not having the tacho is annoying as.

you need gli or above front lca's if you want a front sway bar as the cxi front lca's cone without holes to mount it.

i love my cxi, but to be honest if i were buying again, i'd go eg...better bang for buck IMO

jks24
17-02-2010, 10:23 PM
i had a ek1, awsome daily driver, never missed a beat and used to get like 550kms per thank :D Never was tempted to speed in it either which is a good thing

redefine
17-02-2010, 10:34 PM
and if you got preface and you wanna do a facelift conversion, you need lights, grille, bumper, hood, and fenders.

tiksie
18-02-2010, 07:20 AM
Far out :( I thought it was just bumper LOL, oh well, it's okay I might get used to it if I buy this EK today.

Thanks for the help guys, really appreciate it :D

its not hard to put power windows aytac.... get gli conversion and its plug and play..

I'm guessing there is atleast some splicing required ?

Gio
19-02-2010, 10:49 PM
96-98 is prefacelift

pretty sure they all come with aircon

Tail lights and rear bar is direct fit

If you want facelift headlights you also need the facelift bonnet, fenders and front bar.

GET A GLI!!!!

Late 98 -2000 = facelift.

Not all came with aircon.