PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Civic VTi Brakes

IMF
17-02-2010, 09:12 AM
Hello all,

My front brakes seem to always squeal during cold braking be it light or normal stop start traffic.

The dealer has mentioned glazing build up and have said they removed the glaze from the brakes but only a day later they are still squealing.

Any ideas?

IMF.

Muzzy
17-02-2010, 10:00 AM
yeah my FD2 squeals as well. Due for service in a few thousand K's so I'm gonna tell the dealer then as well.

eNGee
17-02-2010, 10:10 AM
I had a similar squeal problem. However, it wasn't because of glazing of the brakes. It was cos the wheel nuts were on way too tight and possibly caused the factory steelie to rub against the brakes/calipers.

Notwithstanding, I've since changed my rims and no more squeaking since.

IMF
17-02-2010, 10:20 AM
Thanks, I bought it from them as a demo which was apparantly a Service Advisor's car... I guess I'll just keep taking it back until the squeal goes away... Or I could just change my rims...

VTI-L
17-02-2010, 07:12 PM
How would glazing bulid up on your brakes..hrm interesting, sure the service guys isnt telling you porkies

brokenback
21-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Our new Civic had dreadful squealing on front brakes. Like fingernails on a blackboard!

Over the course between it's first & second & third service Honda did:
De-glazing pads; then
Machined the discs & changed pads; then
De-glazing pads & discs again; then
Said..."driver issue".

Which got up my nose...to which we replied..."I wondered when you (Honda) was going to drag out that old trump card.."

Anyway, they fiddled with the breaks a few times & the last time they fixed them. I suspect they said they were changing pads but actually changing them from one side to the other as the noise changed sides...who knows .

Anyway it's all good now...just keep pressuring them & quote that others have had the same issue (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101015), and here (http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthread.php?t=107776)...the wonders of the internet.

blasdf
23-02-2010, 10:41 AM
yip my brakes squeal and was told it's glazing build up. i got this de glazed stuff put on by honda and it worked for a day or so as well. but i find using the brakes hard gets rid of it. problem is where i live is flat, and i tend to engine brake by habit so my brakes never get a good thrashing. i went up tamborine one day and rolled down in neutral using brakes the whole way. that cleared it up for some time. i think its a design fault with brake pads or something and honda try to ignore it.

FDBenni
23-02-2010, 12:13 PM
indeed, got my brakes deglazed on my 10k service but not long after its squealing again, worse than before. I also hardly ever use the brakes, mainly engine break to slow down and brakes to stay stopped.

brokenback
23-02-2010, 12:32 PM
I think it's Pad material. The non-asbestos pads really appear to have issues.

The pads appears to be too hard & last too long. I've seen more than one type of car go thru discs as pads at the same time.:thumbdwn:

sapook
24-02-2010, 10:44 PM
I had a similar squeal problem. However, it wasn't because of glazing of the brakes. It was cos the wheel nuts were on way too tight and possibly caused the factory steelie to rub against the brakes/calipers.

Notwithstanding, I've since changed my rims and no more squeaking since.

i have a stock vti too.. and the squealing has happened for a little while now whenever i've been breaking.

changed my rims tonight and i haven't heard any squeals since. this must be the reason why.

VTI-L
25-02-2010, 10:44 AM
On the subject of brake pads, is there must brake dust from the OEM pads? As you seem some cars round with compeletly black rims....

brokenback
25-02-2010, 05:21 PM
i have a stock vti too.. and the squealing has happened for a little while now whenever i've been breaking.

changed my rims tonight and i haven't heard any squeals since. this must be the reason why.

That's interesting. I wonder if Honda knows this.

SUS2K
02-03-2010, 11:50 AM
At first my Car was fine, but after first service.... it started to squeal aswell.... Honda brakes are terrible, especially when it comes to a sudden stop and un-even road. the brake pads shakes like its going to fall off.

tazman888
02-03-2010, 03:55 PM
At first my Car was fine, but after first service.... it started to squeal aswell.... Honda brakes are terrible, especially when it comes to a sudden stop and un-even road. the brake pads shakes like its going to fall off.

That's what happen with my car as well. When I told them about it during the regular service, they did the test and told me everything's fine.

Need to get honda to recall their civic as well ;p

fab4272
07-03-2010, 10:00 AM
On the topic of brake pads, where in Melbourne can I go to purchase a set of front/rears for the wife's 2006 FD civic? All I can find is OEM from Honda and the descriptions on the net for pads overseas I can't seem to decipher to tell if they would fit our car.

Thanks.

kawai
07-03-2010, 07:59 PM
try repco or autobarn and ask them they should know the part number and find some good ones for ya, or just bring it into a random mechanic and tell them to put new ones on.