PDA

View Full Version : front end toe problem with 88 civic

intacivic16v
17-02-2010, 04:53 PM
When i set the civic up for a track meeting, i set it up with a slight hint for toe out. about half way through the meeting it has usually got toe in. i've looked under the car heaps of time and everything is firm, i've got no idea how it could possable be changing. all the threads on the outer arm are fine (which is where i adjust from) and bolts are tight. even when it has changed its still firm. its got me stuffed. Any ides???

DLO01
17-02-2010, 04:59 PM
Bit strange. Something is giving. If you keep adjusting it for toe out your gonna run outa thread eventually. haha.

Have you got camber adjustable arms? UCA's.

intacivic16v
17-02-2010, 05:09 PM
haha yeah it will run out eventually, i've got adjustable camber in the front end they are tight as though and don't look like they have moved at all. there the skunk 2 ones that adjust from the top of the coilovers, the horse shoe looking ones.

DLO01
17-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Yeh same as mine, was gonna say, your camber affects your toe. If they slide, toe changes. But hell if its not that and everything else is tight then I don't know. Hopefully others can help.

As we said, are you having to adjust each time to get it back to original? Or is it reseting back to original after time?

intacivic16v
17-02-2010, 05:19 PM
when it changes to toe in, i've always had to change it back to toe out, otherwise it drives to slow. so i guess i havn't really tested it with leaving it for long enough.

intacivic16v
17-02-2010, 05:21 PM
i havn't really had a good look at the caster bars, but they wouldn't just change unless they bent. othere wise you would hear the banging..

DLO01
17-02-2010, 05:23 PM
Long shot, but are the sussy components excessively hot? Anything rubbing? Toe arms expanding (lengthening) due to heat and toeing it in?

intacivic16v
17-02-2010, 05:29 PM
hadn't thought of that, i wouldn't think so though its only hillclimbs and short circuit racing so max 4 laps. excessive camber like what i run on tight tracks would put a huge amount of pressure on everything but i still would have thought that i would hear a noise or see a bent part, theres a slight leak coming from one of the steering boots but i don't think there are threads under there?? and if it was a loose ball joint it would move both ways.

~Sp33~
19-02-2010, 10:56 AM
So you set it to toe out, and by the end BOTH sides are toed in!? This would lead me to believe that it's not a loose adjustment (because its uniform to both sides). Unless there's play somewhere that's working your adjustments loose.

What about your radius rod bushings? They're a serviceable part that could potentially effect both sides... Just throwing some thoughts out there.

intacivic16v
19-02-2010, 03:02 PM
yeah thanks, i'll sus that one out. cheers

string
20-02-2010, 01:18 PM
Even old worn out bushings will feel solid when you push them with your arm. Tyres underneath 1000kg metal going around a corner can provide much more force than a puny bicep.

Regular lateral force from the tyre slip-angle is far greater than any camber force. Don't worry about your camber.

Visually inspect all your bushings for cracks/sagging/etc...

intacivic16v
20-02-2010, 09:34 PM
cheers mate