PDA

View Full Version : Sound system help please!

niiCk
18-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Hey guys, im looking at changing my whole sound system for some better quality items.

What are some decent speakers? what are good brands and stuff?

What are some decent subwoofer brands too? and what are some good amp and mono brands?

What is the sufficient amount of Watts for each item?

Are pioneer, alpine good? is JL a good brand? never actually heard anything about them before but have been reading around on here..

Thanks in advance..will rep

pure_na
18-02-2010, 12:00 PM
Like everyones going to tell you, work to a budget, generally the more you are willing to spend, the better quality parts you can get.

i actually found a website that focused on speakers and stuff but it's bookmarked on another comp, i'll see if i can find it for you.

I have had experience with alpine x pro series (i think...top of the range alpines). Yes, the sound quality was good but no, it was not worth the money, and i got everything cheap. A friend of mine has pioneer setup, low end speakers at the front, $200 6x9s at the back, 2 amps and a sub. it makes very nice sound, and cost a lot less than my setup. The alpines were VERY crisp, and i was not running a sub, so the high notes kinda took over and you couldn't listen too loud. believe me, you want the lower notes (basically the beat). Maybe if i was running a sub i would have had very different impressions. my main issue was, i was running type x pros at the front, and type r composites at the back (no split tweeter), and tbh i liked the back speakers better (even though they were $400 less). But like i said, maybe if i got a sub this would change things, as the type x sub is aparently balistic.

to answer your questions:

1. focal, alpine, pioneer, and then the really high end stuff
2. same
3. hard to say, seeing as if you get good speakers you don't give a **** about numbers, cos they sound sick - trust me
4. yes, yes, never ran JL.

niiCk
18-02-2010, 12:05 PM
Like everyones going to tell you, work to a budget, generally the more you are willing to spend, the better quality parts you can get.

i actually found a website that focused on speakers and stuff but it's bookmarked on another comp, i'll see if i can find it for you.

I have had experience with alpine x pro series (i think...top of the range alpines). Yes, the sound quality was good but no, it was not worth the money, and i got everything cheap. A friend of mine has pioneer setup, low end speakers at the front, $200 6x9s at the back, 2 amps and a sub. it makes very nice sound, and cost a lot less than my setup. The alpines were VERY crisp, and i was not running a sub, so the high notes kinda took over and you couldn't listen too loud. believe me, you want the lower notes (basically the beat). Maybe if i was running a sub i would have had very different impressions. my main issue was, i was running type x pros at the front, and type r composites at the back (no split tweeter), and tbh i liked the back speakers better (even though they were $400 less). But like i said, maybe if i got a sub this would change things, as the type x sub is aparently balistic.

to answer your questions:

1. focal, alpine, pioneer, and then the really high end stuff
2. same
3. hard to say, seeing as if you get good speakers you don't give a **** about numbers, cos they sound sick - trust me
4. yes, yes, never ran JL.

thanks man, helps in a way. I guess i shall just stick with alpine or pioneer..so focal is good too? i hardly hear anyone using them but..

anyways cheers again, i gave you a rep point:thumbsup:

EDIT: are rockford fosgate good? only one mate has said theyre good..

xclusive_eg8
18-02-2010, 12:11 PM
JL's are good, my eg8 came with them when i bought the car and they run quite well when connected to a 4channel amp, alpine makes good headunits the more you pay the better it will be basicly one I really like right now is this http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=383

the big touch screen makes song selection so much easyer, and due to the ease of use and simplicity of this unit I think it is well worth retail price - though I would buy second hand just cause im a cheapy lol...

oo and buy a headunit with 3 Rca's out, makes things so dam simple and gives you better control of your whole set up

niiCk
18-02-2010, 12:16 PM
JL's are good, my eg8 came with them when i bought the car and they run quite well when connected to a 4channel amp, alpine makes good headunits the more you pay the better it will be basicly one I really like right now is this http://www.alpine.com.au/products/product.asp?modelID=383

the big touch screen makes song selection so much easyer, and due to the ease of use and simplicity of this unit I think it is well worth retail price - though I would buy second hand just cause im a cheapy lol...

oo and buy a headunit with 3 Rca's out, makes things so dam simple and gives you better control of your whole set up

So you would recommend JL's? do they make good subs? headunit wise im alright with that, i'll just use my current one. Just looking for new speakers, subs and amps atm.

Rockford fosgate people? good for subs and speakers?

pure_na
18-02-2010, 12:30 PM
not sure about rockford fosgate....do autobarn stock them? if so, they probably aren't so good. what you wanna do is go to a place with a cd you've made up and get them to let you demo all the speakers. be calm, don't be in a hurry, and just listen to them. somewhere that stocks higher up stuff, so not autobarn :P.

xclusive_eg8
18-02-2010, 12:31 PM
yep JL is the shizz...though alpines are good but expensive same as rockford..Polk, infinity and mtx make good stuff at a good price..

I would use alpine amps, JL 6.5 inch speakers all round - tweaters up front, and maybe 2 JL audio W7's...

basicly the question is -

1. how much do you want to spend on each component
2. what are you after SPL or quality.
3. do you like bass (subs).
4. Would you be okk with the extra weight (approx 60kg dead weight)

R32GTR
18-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Rockford is an awesome brand - Lifestyle store in Parramatta (www.lifestylestore.com.au) have a massive range of Rockford, but you will be looking to pay decent bucks. JL have always been a trusted brand to me alongside MTX (You'll find both of these brands in every rap video lmao).. And are at a decent price range for the quality that they deliver.

arverson
18-02-2010, 04:35 PM
give us a rough budget to work with.. then we can specifically suggest certain brands/models within your price range. no point of me suggesting dynaudio or morel splits if you cant afford em.

pioneer, alpine, jl.. meh theyre all mainstream but as your new to car audio i rkn u'd like one of their models. ive never been of rockford.. i just dont like their sound. same goes with focal, but that depends on personal taste & how picky your ears are.. some love em, others hate em. say with alpine, i prefer their type-r splits over their type-x ones, and even then at the cost of the x's, theres plenty of others that id rather get. just make sure you listen to your speakers before you buy

you say your changing your whole soudn system.. whats is consist of atm? what headunit do u have?or is it all stock? just asking to see if we can re-use any gear

and the 'sufficient watts for each item' varies. some budget stuff dont need much, say 50-100rms. others really shine with plenty of power behind em. worry about what speakers/subs you wanna get 1st before worrying about how much power you need.

arverson
18-02-2010, 04:36 PM
oh might help if you let us know what car as well

edit: and location if you need professional installation

niiCk
18-02-2010, 06:24 PM
hmm im thinking of getting some rockford subs..but i duno which speakers to get.

my car currently consist of a DVD/TV headunit with 3 output rcas, 6x9 sony speakers, 6" sony speakers, 12" 1000w sub, boss amp, orion amp. So im many changing the speakers, amps and sub.

Btw im in sydney, car is a 2001 bmw e46

arverson
18-02-2010, 11:33 PM
if you like the rockford subs then cool. speakers, obviously get the best one you can afford and, more importantly, like the sound of

you're pretty much overhaulin the whole system, a perfect example of why you shouldnt go cheap, end up replacing later & spending more in the long run! do it once, do it right!
anyway hard to suggest anything without a budget..

give us the specs for your current sub & both amps if you know em. you could re-use the orion amp to save you some dosh

Joe Bellissimo
19-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Which part of Sydney mate?

im.Kusuma
20-02-2010, 02:04 AM
^easties^

From my own experience.. Using a rockford Fostgate Punch sub was a good choice.. Its not like those subs where it goes BOOMM.. it kkinda has a reflect to it... the bass kinda souns echo ish.. if yu know what i mean.. I've had sony's, pioneer, clarion, kenwood, Mtx.. lol But gotta tell everyone, rockford is pretty good.

But then again, it also depends what amps u running, how good are ur cables and etc.
Im running boston accoustic amps, tweeters, speakers. Mixed with my rockford sub = Good stuff. :)

Alpine are good. But they're everywer since they're pretty much affordable.. But niiCk, if you're willing to spend more money for better quality and longer lasting, go for something more decent than the local shops sell. :)

Just helpin you out brother, and ozhonda-ers ;)

slimx
20-02-2010, 03:26 PM
bro look in subs .. im gona give u my down low.. atm im not really a bass person but i use to be

Alpine : over priced for hwat they are

pioneer: very good, at a great price but ofcourse not the best

boss audio: good cheapie, light bass.. but goes boom boom dzntm ake a nice echo'e tone u like

option audio: i personally really liked.. but everyone else doesnt seem to like them.. in MY experience there fkn MADDDDDDDD just needa gd amp coz they like power.

rockford fosgate: over priced.. a $400 pioneer sub is equivalent to a $800 rockford, they are great.. but they cost so much its not funny.. unless u can find it for cheap.. dont bother

kicker: BOOM BOOM crack ur window type of bass

sony: impossible to tune it properly, always either has an ugly bass block or not enough bass (appearntly the new ones arent to bad though.. havent experienced them)

kenwood: blow up so fast its not funny
i havnt had a mtx, clarion etc..

im just telln ya from my expierence lol.

Antv
20-02-2010, 04:49 PM
here is a whole forum dedicated to Ice/Electronics. Ive had all my questions answered there. http://www.mobileelectronics.com.au/forums

Antv
20-02-2010, 04:50 PM
bro look in subs .. im gona give u my down low.. atm im not really a bass person but i use to be

Alpine : over priced for hwat they are

pioneer: very good, at a great price but ofcourse not the best

boss audio: good cheapie, light bass.. but goes boom boom dzntm ake a nice echo'e tone u like

option audio: i personally really liked.. but everyone else doesnt seem to like them.. in MY experience there fkn MADDDDDDDD just needa gd amp coz they like power.

rockford fosgate: over priced.. a $400 pioneer sub is equivalent to a $800 rockford, they are great.. but they cost so much its not funny.. unless u can find it for cheap.. dont bother

kicker: BOOM BOOM crack ur window type of bass

sony: impossible to tune it properly, always either has an ugly bass block or not enough bass (appearntly the new ones arent to bad though.. havent experienced them)

kenwood: blow up so fast its not funny
i havnt had a mtx, clarion etc..

im just telln ya from my expierence lol.

what about Focal splits?

arverson
20-02-2010, 05:49 PM
ill say it again, give us a budget to work with..

the guys at caa/mea are just gonna ask the same thing

slimx
21-02-2010, 09:41 PM
what about Focal splits?

never had any.. to judge.

NightKids
23-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Focal splits are great even the entry level access ones sound good. There's other high end brands too which I won't mention as no budget is given. Other cheapish good splits would be JL or even some Jaycar Kevlar ones are nice with silk dome tweeters. MB Quartz if u like your music 'bright'.

Head unit I would go Alpine, Eclipse or Pioneer. Nakamichi if money is not an issue.

With amps Rockford is pretty good. Audison if money is not an issue.

Subs Focal 13" is nice, JL W3 for value or Alpine Type X if you have good power.

Things to avoid: 6x9s, Sony, Boss Audio, Avalanche, etc.