PDA

View Full Version : B18B2 problem!!!

integragsi96
19-02-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi there ive got a 1996 dc4 with 280 XXXk's on the engine and chassis. Now i got the car service last week on monday and odd enough when i start my car first in the morning theres a loud cluncking noise that goes for about 2 seconds then purrs away. On Wednesday night i was driving along and when i revved it at 3500rpm there was a slight tappity noise and got louder and worse higher the rpm.

im.Kusuma
19-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Can be your tappet adjustment, but i doubt it..
My friend's 98 celica had this problem.. You can here it clunking even though its on idle..
It first started same as you, started it up and clunking goes on for a bit and goes away.. He didnt know what he was so he kept on driving.. Went worse, then it sounded like one of the valves hitting the rocker cover *clunk clunk clunk* and you can hear it so loud.
Days after that.. his engine died. Cannot be started whats so ever.
Problem was his valves were missleading - mechanic's quote.
He had no choice but to get a second hand engine.

My advise to you is get it checked up asap. Do not drive it anywhere if possible, coz it may get worse.

integragsi96
19-02-2010, 12:44 PM
yehh thats no good at all...well the mechanics said they can fit me in on monday to check it out and try a thicker oil because they think the oil maybe too thin, but if the problem persists then then'll go over it. but for now i wont rev it past 3100...too be safe....and try not to drive it

im.Kusuma
19-02-2010, 12:47 PM
yehh thats no good at all...well the mechanics said they can fit me in on monday to check it out and try a thicker oil because they think the oil maybe too thin, but if the problem persists then then'll go over it. but for now i wont rev it past 3100...too be safe....and try not to drive it
good stuff man. But i may be wrong... Any chance you ever use e10 for fuel?

integragsi96
19-02-2010, 12:54 PM
yehh well its better to be on the safe side of things and see what others think it might be.
nahh i dont use the stuff i use either mobil 8000, or vortex. but just before it started happening i went to a independent fuel station and got half a tank of 91 normal unleaded because i didnt have much money

im.Kusuma
19-02-2010, 01:02 PM
yehh well its better to be on the safe side of things and see what others think it might be.
nahh i dont use the stuff i use either mobil 8000, or vortex. but just before it started happening i went to a independent fuel station and got half a tank of 91 normal unleaded because i didnt have much money
fair enough :)
But mixing petrol isnt good for your engine you know :S
you should just stick to one, no matter what lol. - Thats for me :p

integragsi96
19-02-2010, 05:19 PM
dw i took my car to my mates dad who is a guru...he said the bottom end is shot....the to thinner oil killed it....i dont even have enough money for a new engine or repair :(

dougie_504
19-02-2010, 07:03 PM
New B18B might be like $500 or so?

Sorry to hear this man. GL.

GSi_PSi
19-02-2010, 07:19 PM
spun bearing. Not that hard to fix.

markgonzales3
19-02-2010, 08:02 PM

same as my mates problem..

integragsi96
20-02-2010, 07:20 AM
New B18B might be like $500 or so?

Sorry to hear this man. GL.

Yehh im thinking of doing a b18c2 conversion aswell as a manual conversion at the same time.....but I dunno how much something like that would cost. There's a place in cardiff who did a h22 conversion into a dc2 for only 1500...that's including the motor and labour....so I might hit him up today...and grab a quote

integragsi96
20-02-2010, 07:24 AM

Yehh not hard to fix but the engine has 280 xxx on it....id have to do a rrebuild and that can be costly....so im just gonna do a conversion depending on the quote given to me

will13
20-02-2010, 08:19 AM
just get a new car, will be worth it in the long run compared to the one you have now. get saving for petes!

markgonzales3
20-02-2010, 10:12 AM
Yehh im thinking of doing a b18c2 conversion aswell as a manual conversion at the same time.....but I dunno how much something like that would cost. There's a place in cardiff who did a h22 conversion into a dc2 for only 1500...that's including the motor and labour....so I might hit him up today...and grab a quote

1500 thats really cheap .. PM me the number of the guy lol

GSi_PSi
20-02-2010, 11:30 AM
easier to do conversion but if your handy you can open oil pan remove oil pick up etc remove rod bolts and replace the bearings and istall back and done. But thats if you havent bent a rod or something by now

integragsi96
21-02-2010, 06:21 AM
just get a new car, will be worth it in the long run compared to the one you have now. get saving for petes!

lol yehhh trueee but i need a car to drive till my greens tho lol

integragsi96
23-02-2010, 08:00 AM
i ended up taking my car to the mechanics....driving like a granny to get there
they basically said it would be cheaper to buy a whole new engine so now im stuck :(....with little money and needing to get to tafe and work and being stuck on a trainees wage so looks like public transport for me for a while

jrstyles
02-03-2010, 09:45 PM
the same thing happened to my b18c2. crankshaft, bottom end was goners..b18c2 was not cheap to replace ==" it took me almost 2 months to get my car running back on the road because of all these darn sleeper eg's doing engine conversions!